Menu

Well Trained Bodies (Diet & exercise) - Nov. 2017

Laurie4b

It was rainy and cold again today, so I headed to the gym to run on the treadmill and do some upper-body free weights and core work. It was a really short work-out, though, as time was limited. Something is better than nothing!

My diet goals for this month are to survive my low-FODMAP diet. It's not all that bad when I'm eating at home, but extended family dinners isn't so great. It's not a huge deal, though, as I just eat a little before and afterwards. 

• Like 2

I haven’t been able to workout for more than 2-3 hours every week. So 2 or maybe 3 workouts if I’m lucky. Surprisingly, I’ve been able to maintain my fitness gains and even drop a pound. It’s been hard getting to the gym because of my studies and I am so happy that this didn’t cause me to stop working out. In the past, this would have easily been my excuse to stop.

So for November, maintenance. I’m hoping to start training more in December once my semester is done.

• Like 3

Not sure about October... I don't think I really had any goals, just doing my best. But since I read too much in October, for November I have written my goals down, split into 4 areas, with actions for each of them. Now I only have to follow this plan :) If I can do it, I should be ready for the national level competition in December, which will be my first big veteran competition. I don't really have weight goals, but I wouldn't mind losing some fat. My fencing pants have velcro closure instead of a button above the zipper, and right now they just close, but if I gain even two pounds, velcro gets undone every time I move. Since this summer I fluctuate between these two states. New pants are ridiculously expensive, so I have a good incentive to not gain "bad" weight.

Today I did at home core and hips workout and then fenced for about an hour. I fenced boys again, and I am pretty sure tomorrow I'll have at least one bruise to show for it. On the bright side, I managed to keep my last couple of home workouts at the intensity where my muscles feel that they were worked the day before, but just barely.

• Like 4

Nobody is here?

I had a private lesson this morning, followed by about 30 minutes of footwork/target practice. I guess it could qualify as HIIT. I am totally wiped out now. I managed to take a shower and throw dirty clothes into the washer, but it was a great effort. I still need to check our equipment, as we are driving to another tournament tomorrow. It is expected to have some really high level fencers, so it should be fun and great practice. I feel a bit like an imposter on these competitions, but we don't have any small competitions for women around, so I have to learn to swim with the sharks.

• Like 4

Not sure about October... I don't think I really had any goals, just doing my best. But since I read too much in October, for November I have written my goals down, split into 4 areas, with actions for each of them. Now I only have to follow this plan :) If I can do it, I should be ready for the national level competition in December, which will be my first big veteran competition. I don't really have weight goals, but I wouldn't mind losing some fat. My fencing pants have velcro closure instead of a button above the zipper, and right now they just close, but if I gain even two pounds, velcro gets undone every time I move. Since this summer I fluctuate between these two states. New pants are ridiculously expensive, so I have a good incentive to not gain "bad" weight.

Today I did at home core and hips workout and then fenced for about an hour. I fenced boys again, and I am pretty sure tomorrow I'll have at least one bruise to show for it. On the bright side, I managed to keep my last couple of home workouts at the intensity where my muscles feel that they were worked the day before, but just barely.

Let us know how the written plans work out! That is so exciting that you could go to a national tournament! 

• Like 4

My maintenance goals for exercise include 4-6 sessions of cardio, 45-60 min in length, strength training 2-3x/wk, and regular flexibililty (most days if not all) . Eating is generally very healthy but I have someone give me day old bread from a fabulous baker nearby a few times per week. I eat too much of it but don't know how to kindly say no. I've started to freeze a lot of it for my family when they are home. 

Sleep: I stink at getting to sleep early enough. I need to post more about that. I need to aim for 11 pm. Currently, I am anywhere between 12-1am. Right now, midnight is a victory. If I fall asleep and stay asleep until I have to wake up, going to bed at midnight nets 7 1/2 hours sleep. But if I don't fall asleep right away or if I get awakened too early,, that can really cut into my 7-8 hours. So I want a cushion. 

November is the start of the dark months and the holidays. Dark meaning literally dark. I dread the end of DST. I have 2 days left, right? It is a challenge to get my running done before dark when it gets dark at 5:00 or so. And it affects me psychologically, too. I have to take some time to plan an alternate workout schedule because sometimes I am just not going to make it. 

And just like I have a hard time saying no to bread someone is bringing me, I have a terrible time at the holidays when people gift me with "treats." I feel compelled to at least taste it so that I can honestly write a thank you note saying it was delicious. The problem is that I am a "bet you can't eat just one" kinda gal. I get really caught in the feeling of obligation that seems attached to a gift. Anyone have any suggestions about that? 

Sweets are a problem right around Christmas. I did help myself by looking at the recipe that one of the cookie-gifters uses to make her delicious molasses spice cookies and it uses 1 1/2 cups of shortening aka trans fat. That may be enough to hold me off!  Probably more of a problem than the sweets though are seconds on yummy dinners. Anyone else been a "Sure, I'd like a second helping" kind of gal and been able to find a way to be satisfied with less? I feel like there must be a way to be more mindful or something. But some flavors I just love and just want to keep getting more of. Any suggestions that have worked? 

Today, so far, I squeezed in a 35 min walk with 18 min of embedded jogging. I had a child I was watching picked up 20 min late and I had an appointment following. I did enjoy the time that I had. I ran earlier than usual so I got the benefit of the beauty of the low afternoon sun through the multi-colored leaves. We live in a wooded neighborhood and though I run in the only flat part, I like to pretend I am in the mountains. I try to really appreciate the beauty right around me. 

I will have to drag myself through my strength training exercises tonight. Wish me luck. 

• Like 4

I took ds 13 and ds 11 skating this morning, and we only lasted for 30 min. My lower back was so tight, and it never loosed up for the entire time. The boys each had sore body parts, too, so it was a group decision to stop early and come back strong another time. 

Food-wise, I don't think I ate a single vegetable today. I know I ate a banana after supper, and there were raisins in my granola. I'll do better tomorrow.  :o  

• Like 3

I did manage to drag myself through a "placeholder" strength workout. I did well on my push-ups: got a PB on knee push-ups, kinda "medium" on floor push-ups. Did one set of rows, some clamshells with feet elevated, rotator cuff exercises, and some bridges. And the flexibility exercises. I used to always put those off and now I am finding I really like them when I play music I find soothing while I do them. 

Saturday will need to be all out strength training. Tomorrow will be some kind of moderate cardio, probably a hike or an inverted walk/run with shorter running intervals at a slow speed and longer walking intervals. 

• Like 4

So, I was feeling "spunkyish" yesterday and the weather was unseasonably warm so we took a little walk AND worked outside a bit.

I started to overheat and get nauseous in the beginning but I dialed it back(even more) and made it through about an hour. I think there is something to do with straining or bending over that exacerbates whatever that is bothering me. I was doing some weeding and tried to do so from a lower position and not to exert myself too hard. 

it felt really good to be working. I was nervous I'd feel bad today(after last week) but so far I feel ok. It seems like I can handle the low and slow activities but if I strain too much at all I'm spent. I don't know what that means but I'm keeping track for the dr and maybe he can figure it out.

• Like 5

Laurie, I have almost exactly the same problem with sleep, down to the times. Only, to feel well I need a bit more than 8 hours a night. I only have to get up at 7:30 twice a week, but even if I sleep in, I wake up around 8:30, and earlier of any sound from outside wakes me up. With going to bed at 1 most nights, I get anywhere from 6.5 to 7.5 hours a night. I kind of hope that time switch will help me to go to bed earlier and then I can try fighting for it to stay there.

As for food, I am okay with seconds, kind of inclined to say yes to extra sweets, and I have absolutely no willpower when I have some good cheese and crackers in front of me. This summer, every time we had a gathering (usually just one family stopping by) and there was cheese and some meats, I would gain a pound or two, which I tried to burn for the rest of the week, and then there was another one. I'll have to watch for that during the holidays when we will probably have visits more than once a week.  December is also a month when we do practically no sports, so I'll need to make sure I do something at home regularly, as all that party sitting kills my lower back. But that gets bad in December. We shouldn't have too much partying in November. 

Also, it's great that you dragged yourself through that workout!

Wintermom ~ Listening to your body is good :)  With tiredness/tightness/soreness I notice that technique goes away fast, and with that - safety. Good luck with the vegetables today!

Soror ~ Sorry you are going through this. I hope the doctor can get to the cause of all this soon, and it is something easily fixable. Keeping track of everything is a great idea.

I haven't had a good night sleep today, so I feel a bit tired (and procrastinating here on WTM instead to doing all the housework I need to do before we leave). I don't think I'll do anything today, except for a set or two of jump squats, which I managed to raise from 10 to 12 per set in the last two weeks and which I have written down as a daily thing.

• Like 4

Yay! I ate some veggies and fruit today. Multiple types of veggies if you count corn tortillas as corn. ;)

Dh and I played doubles tennis tonight. It was cold (40 F)! And there were some puddles and wet spots on the court, but hey, we were all out there in November, which testifies to how tennis crazy we are.  :laugh:   It did feel great to smack the ball around.  I'm playing indoors tomorrow evening as a spare for friends' competitive team. That's 2 days in a row of tennis, which is awesome!

• Like 3

Yesterday, I did a light-to moderate cardio workout for 45 min, walking the dog up and down neighborhood hills and jogging every so often to get the HR out of the tank. I had planned to go to a local park where I can rest my joints on the grass, but got there and the closing time had switched from 6:00 to 5:00. (I got there just after 5:00) 

Then last night, I stayed up PAST 1 am. Hardly ever do that. No good reason. I can only improve from there, right? 

Something else I meant to put on my Nov goals: I want to do trapezius stretches at stop-lights when driving. I like to find places where I can work in something while doing something else. So I stand on one foot while brushing my teeth (switching part way), do balance exercises while pumping gas, and if I have few enough groceries that I don't need a cart, do biceps curls with the grocery bag. I keep forgetting about the trap stretches, though. 

• Like 3

October was good!  My second full month of running since I started in mid-August, and I put in 61 miles.  I managed to run 3-4x a week.  This month, I'd really like to up that to 4-5x a week and no more than one day off in a row, barring any need for extra recovery.  

I ran my longest yet today- 7m.  SLOW.

This month's goals:  up my running frequency.  Add glute work and core work

• Like 4

$

Tell me about your core and hips workout!  I'm having some hip issues. :bigear:

So today I did core, deadlifts (and tried a dynamic warm-up first), and upper body. Some flexibility. Will be going swing-dancing tonight. I had planned to run today, but the cloudy day kinda dampened my enthusiasm. (I will be delighted with a day like today sometime about January I suppose.) I'd already done enough cardio, so I felt fine about skipping it and just focusing on strength-training. On my DLs, I lwas not able to get to 10 reps on the weight I've been lifting and hoped to hit that. However, I tried another 5 pounds at the end and was able to do 3 reps. (Last time I tried, I just got one rep.)   

• Like 3

I had a bit of an epiphany the other week, I'll share.  First off, I know I'm not as young as I used to be, but I'm not "old" quite yet either (I'm 35).  

In high school, it took me four years to go from barely running 3 miles to running a 5:43 mile and a 3:43 marathon, which I realize are not that exciting in the grand scheme of things, but were certainly exciting for me.  Similarly during that time, I went from squatting the bar to squatting 255 and similar gains in all other lifts.  Four years, and frankly, aside from my marathon time, I was mostly just holding steady there my senior year.  So three years for huge, huge improvements.  

Sometimes I get really mad that I let 15 years go by without exercise.  ALL THAT WASTED TIME!  But really, I haven't lost 15 years of fitness, I've only lost 3.  And while I'm not a teenager, I can still hope to see some really massive progress in the next 2-3 years as an adult AND I'm not the driver of my own training which means I understand what I'm doing and why, and that's motivating.  Heck, I even have some hopes that I'll outpace my younger self, at least at the longer distances eventually, because I have the time and will-power to put in quite a few more miles.  

This has really helped me relativize my current level of fitness.  I'll give it a year and then re-evluate and I think I'll be pleasantly surprised.  

Also, are any of you on Strava?  We could form a group or something!

• Like 6

I had a bit of an epiphany the other week, I'll share.  First off, I know I'm not as young as I used to be, but I'm not "old" quite yet either (I'm 35).  

In high school, it took me four years to go from barely running 3 miles to running a 5:43 mile and a 3:43 marathon, which I realize are not that exciting in the grand scheme of things, but were certainly exciting for me.  Similarly during that time, I went from squatting the bar to squatting 255 and similar gains in all other lifts.  Four years, and frankly, aside from my marathon time, I was mostly just holding steady there my senior year.  So three years for huge, huge improvements.  

Sometimes I get really mad that I let 15 years go by without exercise.  ALL THAT WASTED TIME!  But really, I haven't lost 15 years of fitness, I've only lost 3.  And while I'm not a teenager, I can still hope to see some really massive progress in the next 2-3 years as an adult AND I'm not the driver of my own training which means I understand what I'm doing and why, and that's motivating.  Heck, I even have some hopes that I'll outpace my younger self, at least at the longer distances eventually, because I have the time and will-power to put in quite a few more miles.  

This has really helped me relativize my current level of fitness.  I'll give it a year and then re-evluate and I think I'll be pleasantly surprised.  

:hurray:   Yes! You can certainly do it. As you said, you are not "old" at all. And you have the confidence already having achieved a lot in the past. 

• Like 3

Did a 3 mi hike/trail clean up this morning. 

I managed ok, had to stop b/c I had to get back home b/c I'm doing a 24 hr pee collection test today and I couldn't hold it anymore.

I'm happy with this week, I had 4 days of some exercise, nothing intense or long but I'm just trying for a habit now and see what I can do that doesn't bother me (until this goes away or we figure it out).

• Like 4

What I have found is that the years of my youth when I was in shape have been very helpful to my middle-aged attempts to get back in shape. Muscle memory, body awareness, the love of movement---all were lying there waiting to be dusted off. 

I wish my young adult kids would get off their patooties and their screens. Alas, not under my control. 

• Like 4

Did a 3 mi hike/trail clean up this morning. 

I managed ok, had to stop b/c I had to get back home b/c I'm doing a 24 hr pee collection test today and I couldn't hold it anymore.

I'm happy with this week, I had 4 days of some exercise, nothing intense or long but I'm just trying for a habit now and see what I can do that doesn't bother me (until this goes away or we figure it out).

I really hope you get some answers---and relief---soon!

• Like 2

I opened up the weather to plan out my exercise week and it looks like there will be quite a bit of rain, so I will have to adjust to the gym and the dreadmill.  :nopity:

Please encourage me if you don't see exercise reports! 

Also, I went to bed after 1:00 again last night. It's like I just set my mind to a new goal or something.  :001_rolleyes:  Hoping DST will help me get to bed by 11:00. (Anything before midnight I will count as a victory) 

• Like 4

can i jump in?  i'm finally back to exercising after a hysterectomy and breast reduction and am feeling very motivated.  i have been severely anemic for 3 years so just having the energy to walk is a huge change.

i just read the exercise cure and it's so great!!  has anyone read it?  i am just beginning phase 2.  it's not for weight loss, but for health and vitality.

my goals this week are to avoid sugar completely, make all of my step goals (roughly 5 miles per day walking), and do at least 3 days worth of phase 2 calisthenics.  

i just signed up for a dietbet today and would anyone to join me there!  i bet $50 I would lose 4% of my body weight in 4 weeks.  i haven't won a ton of money (usually 7-9%) but just the idea of losing $50 is enough to keep me on track.

• Like 7

I weighed myself this weekend and found that I’m doing the same thing I do every year. I finally start focusing on fitness and weight loss early in the spring, through the spring and summer I lose 10-15lbs, start seeing some muscle definition, and feel pretty strong when I’m working out. Then September comes. We get busy with school and pull out the sweatshirts and other warm, comfy clothes and I start slacking on healthy eating and exercise. I regain all the weight I lost plus a couple pounds through the holidays before I start the cycle over in February or March. I’m already starting to regain the weight I had lost this summer. Not that I needed the scale to tell me that. My clothes are not fitting great and my stomach is getting round. I haven’t been exercising except twice a week karate class and we haven’t eaten this badly (sugar, processed foods) in a long time. I had promised myself that I wouldn’t fall into that pattern this year, and yet, here I am. I’m frustrated with myself. I’m also feeling the effects. I’m sluggish and tired, having a harder time keeping up at karate, my skin is broken out and itchy, and allergies are bad again. I think our diet is affecting the kids too. They’ve been pretty irritable lately.

We’re really busy getting our house ready to sell but I need to start making time for some exercise and meal prep. I feel like I don’t have the extra time to spend on those things but I need to make the time. I’m going to try to get in a short morning walk and prep meals first thing in the morning before we start house projects. I really want to get this back under control.

• Like 4

I weighed myself this weekend and found that I’m doing the same thing I do every year. I finally start focusing on fitness and weight loss early in the spring, through the spring and summer I lose 10-15lbs, start seeing some muscle definition, and feel pretty strong when I’m working out. Then September comes. We get busy with school and pull out the sweatshirts and other warm, comfy clothes and I start slacking on healthy eating and exercise. I regain all the weight I lost plus a couple pounds through the holidays before I start the cycle over in February or March. I’m already starting to regain the weight I had lost this summer. Not that I needed the scale to tell me that. My clothes are not fitting great and my stomach is getting round. I haven’t been exercising except twice a week karate class and we haven’t eaten this badly (sugar, processed foods) in a long time. I had promised myself that I wouldn’t fall into that pattern this year, and yet, here I am. I’m frustrated with myself. I’m also feeling the effects. I’m sluggish and tired, having a harder time keeping up at karate, my skin is broken out and itchy, and allergies are bad again. I think our diet is affecting the kids too. They’ve been pretty irritable lately.

We’re really busy getting our house ready to sell but I need to start making time for some exercise and meal prep. I feel like I don’t have the extra time to spend on those things but I need to make the time. I’m going to try to get in a short morning walk and prep meals first thing in the morning before we start house projects. I really want to get this back under control.

Good for you that you are identifying this early! 

What helps you get back on track in the spring? Can those strategies be employed now or modified to use now? 

How did the meal prep go this morning? 

• Like 1

This happens to me each fall and winter, too. It's frustrating, but I'm starting to get more philosophical about it instead of stressed. Athletes have off-seasons as well as building and competitive seasons, and if they didn't their bodies would eventually wear out. The fall is my "off-season" for my own physical activity as the focus, while I chauffeur my dc around. Food prep is challenging because a lot of the driving is right around dinner preparation time. I'm doing my best to limit processed foods for dinner to once a week. 

It's wonderful that you are able to keep up with your twice a week karate training! Try not to lose heart. Just do the best you can, and know that you'll be able to return to the "building and competitive seasons" in the spring and summer.

• Like 5

$

Tell me about your core and hips workout!  I'm having some hip issues. :bigear:

I am still trying to come up with a routine. The time mentioned I actually did it for the first time. I simply put together some crunches, straight and on my sides, some leg raises in various positions, glutes bridges, etc. I think the bridges were the most effective, judging by the way it felt. I still need to search for more hips exercises, as mine tend to start hurting after several fencing lunges in a row. Sorry, I can't be of more help.

So, we came back from the competition, which was brutal, but fun. I beat my personal record, I think - lost a bout 5-0 in 23 seconds, when usually they last closer to 3 minutes, and I can score at least 1 touch. Oh well. My DD, it seems, decided that no competition can go without an incident. Last time it was coffee spilled all over her uniform, this time she forgot her fencing shoes. Luckily, there was a store not too far away which carried the exact shoes she wears, but obviously they were more expensive than online. On the bright side, I saw and decided to try energy gels for the competition. Usually, when I am stressed, my stomach acts up, I feel very nauseous and can barely eat, and then my blood sugar drops, so overall, it is not a good combo for a competition. But the gel went really well, it actually settled the nausea and gave me some energy.

I went to bed at 11:40 last night. I really was ready to go earlier, but I waited for the washer to finish washing our uniforms, so we could use them today. I am still very tired today, but I need to go to a private lesson, as the couch will be traveling again, and I need to get some lessons before he leaves. I may skip open fencing tonight though.

I am feeling jealous of you, ladies, who had a jump start in youth. I was even excused from PE in school for a rather stupid reason.  I started regular exercise at 37, when the kids went to a martial arts studio and I decided to join. Then again, I have nowhere to go but up :)

• Like 4

Last night I got to bed at 11:20. I am shooting for 11:00, but that is 40 min before midnight, even though it's really 12:20!   :001_rolleyes: 

Turns out it's not raining as was predicted, so I'm going to take the dog out for a walk./run and hope the squirrels aren't too active!)  So I may be able to save the gym for later in the week. I may go for strength training though. I am getting sick of what I can do at home. A little variety would be nice. 

• Like 2

I am still trying to come up with a routine. The time mentioned I actually did it for the first time. I simply put together some crunches, straight and on my sides, some leg raises in various positions, glutes bridges, etc. I think the bridges were the most effective, judging by the way it felt. I still need to search for more hips exercises, as mine tend to start hurting after several fencing lunges in a row. Sorry, I can't be of more help.

I am feeling jealous of you, ladies, who had a jump start in youth. I was even excused from PE in school for a rather stupid reason.  I started regular exercise at 37, when the kids went to a martial arts studio and I decided to join. Then again, I have nowhere to go but up :)

You should be really proud of yourself for starting it at age 37! That will do so much for your health in the coming years!  (I was off and on with exercise after college until my mid-50s. So I am jealous of you starting up strong at age 37! But the important thing is, we have started and are sticking with it!) 

I think clamshells are a really good hip exercise. They are in the link from Girls Gone Strong below. I like the way she does them and the rationale for it. Also, if you have a resistance band, put it around your legs just above your ankle. Get into a partial squat position  and step sideways for several steps, then reverse direction. When I developed hip pain, after seeing a doctor,  I added those two  back in my workout and hip pain was gone.  Are you doing exercises to stretch the hips? I am starting to do a kneeling hip flexor stretch (one is in the GGS link as well)  and have been doing figure 4s. I like to do them on the floor, but you can do them sitting or standing as well. 

Dynamic warm up including clamshells : https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/videos/injury-prevention/dynamic-warm-up/  The clamshells are about 5: 15 but really the whole warm up is excellent and you may decide you like some other ones, too. 

Here are the side steps (from a tennis site for you tennis players!) 

I do these to music to keep me going because they slay! (they merely look easy)  Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 3

Good for you that you are identifying this early!

What helps you get back on track in the spring? Can those strategies be employed now or modified to use now?

How did the meal prep go this morning?

I think what happens is that the warmer, longer spring days make me want to be outside and I enjoy eating fresh foods more. Also, I’m motivated by wanting to look decent in summer clothes. In the fall/winter the days get cold and short and I just want to curl up on the couch and not do much. There’s also all the holiday treats and once I start eating sugar it’s really hard to stop. The downward spiral starts with my birthday in September and continues until I get it under control around March. About the same time it gets too warm to cover the extra pounds with a baggy sweatshirt.

Today I overslept. 🙄 I set my alarm last night on my phone and plugged my phone in but it didn’t charge so my phone died and I woke up an hour late. That meant no morning walk or meal prep. The day wasn’t a total loss though. We did several hours of yard work which was a great workout (judging by the fact that my violin weighed somewhere around 100 pounds during orchestra tonight :p).

Food is harder. DH works the afternoon/evening shift so we have our main meal at lunch time. That puts “dinner†practically on top of breakfast. The kids fizzled our on yard work early so I had them make lunch with the chicken I had pulled out of the freezer last night and vegetables. It wasn’t anything spectacular but it was healthy.

Tomorrow is karate class so workout is covered, plus we’ll be working in the yard again. I have lunch planned already too. Planning for another successful, on track day.

• Like 3

You should be really proud of yourself for starting it at age 37! That will do so much for your health in the coming years!  (I was off and on with exercise after college until my mid-50s. So I am jealous of you starting up strong at age 37! But the important thing is, we have started and are sticking with it!) 

I think clamshells are a really good hip exercise. They are in the link from Girls Gone Strong below. I like the way she does them and the rationale for it. Also, if you have a resistance band, put it around your legs just above your ankle. Get into a partial squat position  and step sideways for several steps, then reverse direction. When I developed hip pain, after seeing a doctor,  I added those two  back in my workout and hip pain was gone.  Are you doing exercises to stretch the hips? I am starting to do a kneeling hip flexor stretch (one is in the GGS link as well)  and have been doing figure 4s. I like to do them on the floor, but you can do them sitting or standing as well. 

Dynamic warm up including clamshells : https://www.girlsgonestrong.com/videos/injury-prevention/dynamic-warm-up/  The clamshells are about 5: 15 but really the whole warm up is excellent and you may decide you like some other ones, too. 

Here are the side steps (from a tennis site for you tennis players!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UneNeLFJ8wU   I do these to music to keep me going because they slay! (they merely look easy) 

Thanks for that link.  I just tried her version of the clamshell and I can only open my knees like 6 inches and it totally kicked my butt, literally!  lol.  I'm adding it in.  

So, for my hips (I currently have a very tight left hip) I do:

- roll around on a massage ball thing

- figure 4s

- hip flexor stretch

- forward leaning stretch (please forgive the following description):  I sit and put my left leg in front of me, then bend my knee so my lower leg points to the right.  My right leg then also bends around me, so all right angles on both legs going around, sort of like a swastika (sorry!). Then I lean forward with a straight lower back for awhile, then again as far as I can allowing my back to curve.  Then I reverse all the legs and do again with right leg in front.

- glute bridges

- the dog-at-lampost leg lift thing

- donkey kicks

- clamshells

- Frankenstein walk (the lateral steps with resistance band) 

- more ball rolling

Edited by Monica_in_Switzerland
  • Like 2

Thanks for that link.  I just tried her version of the clamshell and I can only open my knees like 6 inches and it totally kicked my butt, literally!  lol.  I'm adding it in.  

So, for my hips (I currently have a very tight left hip) I do:

- roll around on a massage ball thing

- figure 4s

- hip flexor stretch

- forward leaning stretch (please forgive the following description):  I sit and put my left leg in front of me, then bend my knee so my lower leg points to the right.  My right leg then also bends around me, so all right angles on both legs going around, sort of like a swastika (sorry!). Then I lean forward with a straight lower back for awhile, then again as far as I can allowing my back to curve.  Then I reverse all the legs and do again with right leg in front.

- glute bridges

- the dog-at-lampost leg lift thing

- donkey kicks

- clamshells

- Frankenstein walk (the lateral steps with resistance band) 

- more ball rolling

Yeah, I have been doing clamshells for quite a while but apparently using more than my hips to open. It is a very small movement. I've switched to her way. 

• Like 2

I think what happens is that the warmer, longer spring days make me want to be outside and I enjoy eating fresh foods more. Also, I’m motivated by wanting to look decent in summer clothes. In the fall/winter the days get cold and short and I just want to curl up on the couch and not do much. There’s also all the holiday treats and once I start eating sugar it’s really hard to stop. The downward spiral starts with my birthday in September and continues until I get it under control around March. About the same time it gets too warm to cover the extra pounds with a baggy sweatshirt.

I think the "want to curl up on the couch" is true for many of us and the holidays are like a dang mine field of temptations. 

Maybe we can share what helps each of us or what we are going to try? 

I am going to try exercising right after work. I get off around 3:00. That is the time of day when I exercised in my youth (after school) but also the time of day when I crashed as an adult. Though I am sitting here on my butt right now  :tongue_smilie: I think I really have to save zoning out on the computer for after exercise. 

I know for me Zumba works all year because all I have to do is get dressed and get my body there. Then the rest is covered. I like that because I enjoy dance and it is a social connection for me as well. Trouble is, my class is only once a week. 

I am also debating whether or not to exercise today/ I have a gazillion errands and it seems like it would be best to do them all at once. I doubt I will get home in time to exercise if I do that, though. Since I got in my cardio yesterday, the cardio will be fine for the week, but it would mean only 2 strength workouts. Hmm. 

On another note, I got to bed around 11:20 again last night and slept till 7:00, so I hit my sleep goal. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 4

I finally got myself to the gym. I'd planned to go this morning, but got side-tracked with school work with the dc, then music lessons, etc. and the day was gone. It was a challenge  getting out this evening as I had to walk to the gym in the cold and dark, but I did it! I forgot to bring something to watch while running, though, so it was a painfully boring run on the treadmill. I did some weights and core work as well. 

• Like 5

I finally got myself to the gym. I'd planned to go this morning, but got side-tracked with school work with the dc, then music lessons, etc. and the day was gone. It was a challenge  getting out this evening as I had to walk to the gym in the cold and dark, but I did it! I forgot to bring something to watch while running, though, so it was a painfully boring run on the treadmill. I did some weights and core work as well. 

I think you win the Spartan prize for the day: walking to the gym in the dark, in the cold, and then the treadmill with no amusement. 

• Like 4

Today was a big karate day. We had class this morning and I’ve been practicing quite a bit tonight. We have grading Thursday night and I kept messing up today. Also, it’s the first grading I’ll need to do a weapon. Of course I waited until two days before to put together my bo staff kata 🙄 I just hope I can pull it off.

I ate pretty well. We had tacos for lunch and I loaded the meat with vegetables to make it healthier. It was pretty good. I’ll have to remember that for the future. The vegetables helped stretch the meat too.

• Like 5

I am a bit sore today after yesterday workout, so I guess I am getting it right. I didn't do anything at home, except for two sets of jump squats, and I went to fence in the evening. I actually had to drag myself there, but I felt much better afterwards. I still feel like I am not fully recovered after the last weekend. I also went to bed around 11:30, woke up before my 7:30 alarm went off and still took a long nap.

• Like 5

Ladies!  Ladies!  On my 5k run yesterday, the number in the minutes part of my pace was a 10!  10:20 per mile!  I'm so excited!  After 2.5 months of numbers ranging from 11-14min/mile, this felt great!  

My goal, and I don't know if it's reasonable, is to get my easy pace to 10m/mi by February when I'll be in the US.  Yesterday's run was definitely not an easy one, I'd rate it as moderate.  Just happy to finally see the number.  

• Like 5

Here are the side steps (from a tennis site for you tennis players!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UneNeLFJ8wU   I do these to music to keep me going because they slay! (they merely look easy) 

Yesterday I did the dynamic warm-up posted above and then did some squats and a few upper body exercises with bands. Maybe 20 min total, I had to stop the warm-up to get all the reps in. I had a small twinge of nausea but that's it, so I feel encouraged. I don't know if it is b/c of what I did or the timing but I'll take it. Today will be a busy one, we've got to get busy with school b/c dd is getting braces at 1, which is going to take awhile then out to visit my Mom and back home for supper. 

• Like 3

Ladies!  Ladies!  On my 5k run yesterday, the number in the minutes part of my pace was a 10!  10:20 per mile!  I'm so excited!  After 2.5 months of numbers ranging from 11-14min/mile, this felt great!  

My goal, and I don't know if it's reasonable, is to get my easy pace to 10m/mi by February when I'll be in the US.  Yesterday's run was definitely not an easy one, I'd rate it as moderate.  Just happy to finally see the number.  

Congratulations!  Do you run outdoors or on a treadmill? It's so easy to check pace on the 'mill, but much trickier out on the open road with all the variables out there. 

Congratulations!  Do you run outdoors or on a treadmill? It's so easy to check pace on the 'mill, but much trickier out on the open road with all the variables out there. 

Outside, with a garmin running watch.  I have a severe aversion to treadmills!  

Also, there is a race route certifier on a running forum I participate in.  He gave a really interesting post on how races routes are measured and certified.  He said the next best thing to having a truly well-calibrated bike is to use google earth's measuring tool (You access it by googling a location, clicking on the map, then right clicking anywhere and selecting measure distance.  You can then drop pins all along your route).  I use that to help plan my run, then the GPS as well, and they tend to confirm each other.  

That beats the method from 20 years ago when my mom and I would go out and drive a loop in the car and check the odometer!  :-D  

• Like 3

Outside, with a garmin running watch.  I have a severe aversion to treadmills!  

Also, there is a race route certifier on a running forum I participate in.  He gave a really interesting post on how races routes are measured and certified.  He said the next best thing to having a truly well-calibrated bike is to use google earth's measuring tool (You access it by googling a location, clicking on the map, then right clicking anywhere and selecting measure distance.  You can then drop pins all along your route).  I use that to help plan my run, then the GPS as well, and they tend to confirm each other.  

That beats the method from 20 years ago when my mom and I would go out and drive a loop in the car and check the odometer!  :-D  

That is really cool you can get so specific about your running route. I used to just use my watch and guesstimate my distance  by time and my "normal" running speed. I really had no idea how fast I was running, but I didn't care all that much. It did make it hard to know whether I'd achieve my race time goals, though.  :laugh:

Now on the treadmill I can supposedly control all the speeds and inclines and distance, but how that would translate into the real world of running outdoors is anyone's guess. ;)

• Like 3

Dh and I played some frosty doubles tennis outdoors this evening for 2.5 hours. The lights were still on at the courts, but they had taken the nets down. Luckily one of the men we were playing had a long extension cord that we strung up and used as a net. It was cold! Only 34 F, and it's getting even colder for tomorrow. This may have been our last outdoor match of the season. It was a wonderful season!!

• Like 2

Congratulations! It's always exciting to see the progress. Good luck with getting it an easy pace!

Dh and I played some frosty doubles tennis outdoors this evening for 2.5 hours. The lights were still on at the courts, but they had taken the nets down. Luckily one of the men we were playing had a long extension cord that we strung up and used as a net. It was cold! Only 34 F, and it's getting even colder for tomorrow. This may have been our last outdoor match of the season. It was a wonderful season!!

I'm not sure I would find playing outside at this temperature exciting, but I am glad you enjoyed it! Is it back inside now, or do you switch completely to something else?

I had an OK day yesterday. I was feeling a bit depressed, but that might have been due to the kids' attitude. I went to the club and fenced, but my head was really foggy, so I couldn't quite concentrate on what I was doing. It seemed that everybody else was, too, so the results were in line with normal, but somehow less satisfying.

I went to bed at midnight, and woke up at 7:15. I am afraid it will be difficult to keep my bedtime before 12, as we came home about 9:30, and that was before dinner. So shower, dinner, clean up all took time, and that was with DH having dinner table all set by the time we came. I often still need to cook. Unfortunately, feeding the kids before fencing doesn't work - they eat before, and still are hungry after.

• Like 3

I'm not sure I would find playing outside at this temperature exciting, but I am glad you enjoyed it! Is it back inside now, or do you switch completely to something else?

I'll play tennis indoors in the winter, but only about once a week or so. It's really expensive for court rentals. I usually do skating, skiing and snowshoeing in the winter. 

• Like 1

Tuesday, I ended up doing a gazillion errands instead of exercising. Yesterday, was Zumba, so all things covered. I've started wearing my HR monitor there and yesterday's was really pretty intense. There are usually some down times between the intensity, so I get something like HIIT out of i plus flexibility.  Last night, I fell asleep on the sofa, then woke up then took a long time to fall back asleep. I would guess I only got 6 hours of sleep, maybe less. 

Today is cold and rainy. The combo is UGH. So it is to the gym I will need to go. But "dragging" oneself works so I guess that's what I will do!

• Like 2