Menu

What's with the ads?

hornblower

found a lump - crappy update on p 14

Hey everyone - so I had the core biopsy yesterday and now we wait for the results. 

Good news is radiologist said lymph nodes are clear 

Not so good news is every single person so far has said - yeah, so you'll be seeing a surgeon. Anything that grows this fast (& isn't a cyst or abscess) is going to have to come out. This sucker went from supposedly 0 (clear June mammo) to >2cm in Nov. 

And for the medically curious folk, the BIRADS score was a 4C "highly suspicious" so yeah, surgery is pretty definitely in the forecast. I've got a referral to an excellent breast surgeon already.   

I did want to update and I so appreciate all the wellwishes and thought & prayers.

I've been doing pretty much ok, just too easily distracted and stress eating all.the.carbs. 

But  I will have to Cold Turkey my laptop out of the site pretty soon because I have to study for my finals (first exam on the 6th).  I'm trying to stay focused on studying.  But I'll check in when I can on one of my other devices during study breaks!

• Like 34

Good luck with your finals!

I’m glad the lymph nodes were clear, I hope the surgery goes well and doesn’t distract you from your studies.

• Like 2

Sending good thoughts your way for the biopsy results and exams. No lymph node involvement is very good news..

• Like 1

:grouphug:  Glad the lymph nodes are clear. Hope things go smoothly for you.  Hope your studying distracts you, and good luck on your finals. 

• Like 1

I have been thinking of you every day and keeping you in my prayers.  :grouphug:   :grouphug:   :grouphug:

• Like 1

:grouphug:

Will be thinking of you and hoping for the best. Good luck on your finals!

• Like 1

Clear lymph nodes and a fast growing tumour is what my mother had. They were able to remove the lump in one piece and follow with radiation. She has been clear almost 20 years now. But ovarian and breast cancers are linked - my mother and I have a BRACA mutation and have now both had our ovaries removed. Ovarian cancer is hard to detect and removing the ovaries also reduces the breast cancer risk.

All the best.

Edited by kiwik
  • Like 2

Clear lymph nodes and a fast growing tumour is what my mother had. They were able to remove the lump in one piece and follow with radiation. She has been clear almost 20 years now. But ovarian and breast cancers are linked - my mother and I have a BRACA mutation and have now both had our ovaries removed. Ovarian cancer is hard to detect and removing the ovaries also reduces the breast cancer risk.

All the best.

I'm glad your mum is okay!

Similar with my sister, except she had chemo before radio - she was 29 and they wanted to throw everything at it. She has been clear for over a year now, and she doesn't have any of the known BRACA mutations.

• Like 1

Still praying for you! I wish none of this was happening, but all things considered, it's very good news that the lymph nodes are clear! :grouphug:

• Like 2

I'm so happy for you that the lymph nodes are clear.  Will continue to keep you in prayers for the best outcome, quick healing, and a really excellent surgeon.

• Like 1

Hugs from me. I've been where you are. Same birads score. The core samples they took were technically benign, but that particular type of tumor has/ had a high association with malignancy, so I had a lumpectomy. After another round of agonizing waiting, pathology said there was no cancer. It was a 5 cm VERY DENSE tumor--but not cancerous. All this to say--there is still hope that it is benign. I'm praying.

• Like 8

Hugs from me. I've been where you are. Same birads score. The core samples they took were technically benign, but that particular type of tumor has/ had a high association with malignancy, so I had a lumpectomy. After another round of agonizing waiting, pathology said there was no cancer. It was a 5 cm VERY DENSE tumor--but not cancerous. All this to say--there is still hope that it is benign. I'm praying.

you're totally my favourite person right now.  :001_tt1:  Thank you for this boost of optimism. 

• Like 11

Just read through the thread to get updated and I'm praying for you now, Hornblower -- that you'll have the focus needed to finish exams and that you'll have clear guidance from surgeons and medical care of your next steps. 

• Like 2

I'm glad your mum is okay!

Similar with my sister, except she had chemo before radio - she was 29 and they wanted to throw everything at it. She has been clear for over a year now, and she doesn't have any of the known BRACA mutations.

Please, please, PLEASE ask your sister to stay on her hormone-suppressing drugs.  They just found out that they help keep potential re-growths from re-occurring.

My sister was also 29 when she had her first bout with BC.  They did a lumpectomy, chemo, and radiation.  Then hormone suppressors for 3.5 years.  She got off them to try to have a kid.  Four months later she had Stage IV.  She fought for two years and died in January.  

Please, please, PLEASE ask your sister to stay on her hormone-suppressing drugs. They just found out that they help keep potential re-growths from re-occurring.

My sister was also 29 when she had her first bout with BC. They did a lumpectomy, chemo, and radiation. Then hormone suppressors for 3.5 years. She got off them to try to have a kid. Four months later she had Stage IV. She fought for two years and died in January.

I am so very sorry Yael, I cannot imagine.

I will tell my sister, thank you.

• Like 1

yup. In the boob. 

I have an appointment to see doctor tomorrow afternoon; feel free to remind me odds are it's nothing.....

Update:  Had the diagnostic mammo and u/s today. An hour after I got home I got a phone call from my doctor that they called her & they don't like it; she's arranging to send me for a biopsy. 

not stealing your thread.

Feel free to remind me as well...I've been thinking about you, hornblower and hope you're doing okay. I am not doing okay.  :unsure:

• Like 2

not stealing your thread.

Feel free to remind me as well...I've been thinking about you, hornblower and hope you're doing okay. I am not doing okay.  :unsure:

There's plenty of room here for everyone. It's gonna be fine cause it has to be  :grouphug: 

(wanna share your thing? or pm? or link to your thread? or just leave it vague is ok too...) 

• Like 3

Best news of all is no lymph node involvement. YAY!

​I had a couple of lumpectomies and both were surprisingly easy surgeries. I hope you have just as easy of a time as I did with surgery. 
​

• Like 2

so actually I have a question for the btdt folks - so far they've only been looking at the affected breast and those lymph nodes. 

But what about the other side? Shouldn't I be getting an ultrasound & mammo on the contralateral side as well at some point?