Menu

found a lump - crappy update on p 14

hornblower

Oh, Hornblower.  I'm so sorry!  That news just stinks! 

Be angry, then figure out what you want to do to fight it and to take care of yourself. 

And then you have all of us: we will cheer you on!!

Laurie4B was a wonderful resource for me, pointing me to helpful websites on foods, interactions of meds, etc. 

Prayers being sent up for you!

• Like 6

so actually I have a question for the btdt folks - so far they've only been looking at the affected breast and those lymph nodes. 

But what about the other side? Shouldn't I be getting an ultrasound & mammo on the contralateral side as well at some point? 

Did they do normal mammogram to start with of both breasts? That would be a reasonable request, but it is unlikely that you've grown 2 cancers at once. But for peace of mind, a mammo should be fine. 

A lobular cancer is more likely to show up bilaterally. (But still not likely.) It is not the same cancer on both sides-it would be 2 different ones, but I guess the factors that make for lobular tend to produce a higher incidence of cancer so therefore you may have two at one time?  

If it is ductal, there is a much smaller chance that you are growing 2 cancers at the same time. 

Our breast ducts each drain to certain lymph nodes. In the US, surgeons will do a sentinel node biopsy where blue dye is injected near the tumor. Then they trace it to the specific nodes on that same side that it is draining to and take only those out. BC on one side will not migrate to nodes on the other side. 

Edited by Laurie4b
  • Like 4

Positive stories- My bf's mom was dxed with aggressive breast cancer about 7 or 8 years ago. At the time, the type she had did not have a great prognosis. She did a double mastectomy and chemo, I don't remember if she did radiation. She's still cancer free today and honestly is the healthiest, most active, most fun-loving and busy she's been in her entire life. I think she looks healthier and happier now than she did in her 30's (she's in her late 50's).

• Like 5

I hope everyone is doing ok and getting good news. 

Mine was not good. Invasive mammary cancer. I'm seeing a surgeon today. I'm so sad & scared

& mad! I had to withdraw from my school right before exams. 

We know a woman who was diagnosed with stage IV aggressive bc. She had a double mastectomy and radiation. It was a terrible prognosis, and she has recovered. That was probably 10 or 11 years ago.

She never drank or smoked or used drugs; ate a vegetarian diet most of her life; everything healthy; had no children. 

That sucks you had to withdraw. I'll be mad with you. 

Otherwise, I'm doing okay. Continuing to think about you and critterfixer. 

• Like 3

When a friend went through cancer, instead of having a happy pink hat/turban, she had a baseball cap that said "renac kcuf' on it.  Yeah, she's a rebel.

I can't remember if she was HER+ or not, but she had a bunch of lymph nodes removed, lumpectomy, and radiation. Doing fine 10+ years out.  I think she was stage III.

• Like 2

Mine was not good. Invasive mammary cancer. I'm seeing a surgeon today. I'm so sad & scared

Well...darn. That is not what we wanted to hear. 

If it is ANY comfort, yesterday was the 6th anniversary of my diagnosis. Do what is needed, get through it, and go on with your life. 

May I ask why you withdrew from classes?

I'll have more later....off to a doctor's appointment myself. HUGS! You will get through this!!!!

• Like 5

oh Hornblower.  I'm just heartsick for you on both accounts.   

I hope and pray the cancer is dealt with swiftly and completely.

Many hugs about school.  That just sucks.  

• Like 1

I am so sorry.

With school. Here there is a provision to get grades based on your performance over the year if you have a valid reason for missing exams. I forget what it is called though. You have a bit on your plate but is there someone who can investigate options?

• Like 3

What a blessing to NOT have to worry about how much it will cost! Very glad we won't have to run a "go fund me" for you! You concentrate on kicking those cancer cells the heck out  - the Hive says they are NOT welcome! And they don't want to mess with the hive!

• Like 20

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 1