Menu

Any idea why fish oil would give me a headache?

dsmith

I've been taking the Carlson lemon flavored fish oil, and it seems like every time I take it I get a headache. I then stop taking it for a while, try again and the headache is there a few hours later. I don't recall getting a headache from the pills, but I've only taken them a few times because they are hard for me to swallow. I don't get a headache from fish at all. I was going to try the pills again but I'm too afraid to try and swallow them, lol. Some people take fish oil specifically to help with headaches, so why the heck does it seem to give me one? Any ideas? 

I tried Align probiotic and started having headaches behind my eyes. I googled and found out that the capsules caused headaches in some people. I started emptying the capsules into water and no more headaches.

Perhaps the flavoring or the capsule are causing the headache.

Maybe Google has an idea.

• Like 1

I looked for this post this morning and couldn't find it at all! Weird!! The oil doesn't smell rancid to me, and where I buy it they keep it refrigerated. I'm assuming the natural lemon flavor is from actual lemons, which I have no problem with. I'm going to try a different brand without the flavoring and see if that makes any difference. I'll give the current stuff to my son. I'm not sure I trust the testing from LabDoor. It looks like they sell supplements, too. I don't know much about the company. 

My kids took the Carlson fish oil liquid form and it did not have any positive effect on them so they went back to Nordic Naturals complete omega pills.

If Carlson fish oil in gelatin soft gel form doesn’t give you a headache, maybe you can do what my kids does and bite into the gelatin soft gel and suck out the fish oil, and then spit out the gelatin covering. They don’t like the taste of the gelatin soft gel but don’t mind the fish taste.

My kids took the Carlson fish oil liquid form and it did not have any positive effect on them so they went back to Nordic Naturals complete omega pills.

If Carlson fish oil in gelatin soft gel form doesn’t give you a headache, maybe you can do what my kids does and bite into the gelatin soft gel and suck out the fish oil, and then spit out the gelatin covering. They don’t like the taste of the gelatin soft gel but don’t mind the fish taste.

I was thinking of trying the Nordic Naturals, but the liquid has the flavor. I think I'll try what your kids do. If they can handle it, I can too, lol.  :D

Here's my krill oil story: After taking fish oil for years, I switched to krill oil because I kept reading it was better absorbed. It took me over two years to realize that it was causing chronic pain. I was suspected of having fibro or depression.

I even noticed how my pain would come back each time I stopped allergy medication and I just attributed that to my aging body and environmental allergies, not making any connection with the krill oil.

But once I stopped the krill oil, my pain went away and I stopped having other unrelated allergic reactions. I rarely need allergy meds now.

Sometimes, for whatever reason, the stuff that's supposed to be good for you isn't.

• Like 3

Here's my krill oil story: After taking fish oil for years, I switched to krill oil because I kept reading it was better absorbed. It took me over two years to realize that it was causing chronic pain. I was suspected of having fibro or depression.

I even noticed how my pain would come back each time I stopped allergy medication and I just attributed that to my aging body and environmental allergies, not making any connection with the krill oil.

But once I stopped the krill oil, my pain went away and I stopped having other unrelated allergic reactions. I rarely need allergy meds now.

Sometimes, for whatever reason, the stuff that's supposed to be good for you isn't.

Wow! Thanks for sharing this.

I've seen "half-the-size" fish oil pills that claim to contain the full 1000 mg dose. I've never tried them but they look easier to swallow than standard fish oil.

I have a bottle of these, and I have trouble swallowing them also. I don't know what it is about the fish oil capsules, but they stick in my throat or something. I have trouble with other types of capsules too, but the fish oil ones are the worst. I have an enlarged thyroid, plus I'm not sure if MS is affecting my ability to swallow certain pills. I also can't swallow stringy things, orange segments, pepper or apple skins... It's really annoying sometimes!

That’s really interesting! I do have fibromyalgia and thyroid disease. But I started taking krill oil a couple months ago, and I have felt noticeablely worse......I wonder if there may be a connection. I think I’ll try not taking it and just eating fish a few times/week.

• 4 years later...

I tried the green pastures fermented Cod liver oil and had a migraine the next day. I was too chicken to try it again so have it to my mum who has been ok with it. I  have gone back to the lemon flavoured Nutra pro Cod Liver Oil (which I have been able to use before) and landed a headache most of the next day!

I had suggested my daughter try the GP fermented oil and she has been getting headaches too (3 times tried). 

I do have (suspected) Histamine intolerance which i believe may fluctuate. I’m wondering if this could be the cause? I know fermented CLO is considered high histamine, I thought regular CLO would be ok because I have tolerated it before but it may be borderline? 

It’s interesting that the CLO myself and the original poster took was lemon flavoured- not sure if that is a red herring (ha ha).

Interested in other experiences 

Vanessa