Menu

Hilarious breakup songs

fairfarmhand

That one from ages ago, cannot remember the title but something about "take your cat and leave my sweater..." think it was Keith Urban

Carrie Underwood had one "Before He Cheats"

and I am pretty sure Taylor Swift has a couple.

Oh and I love "Mamas Broken Heart" by Miranda Lambert

Ashton Shepherd "Look It Up" is great

Beyonce "Irreplaceable"

Weird AL "Since You've Been Gone"

Edited by nixpix5
  • Like 1

I can’t think of the songs now but many years ago, my roommate in college (and then also post-college) and I had this thing where we would make “happy break-up tapes†for anyone we knew going through a break-up. We made a bunch of them and never repeated songs. There are a lot of songs out there with that theme. 

***And yes, I’m dating myself by admitting to being of the “making mix tapes for people†generation. 

• Like 8

Not exactly what you’re talking about, but as for Commitment Songs that don’t quite do their job, my favorite example is Alan Jackson’s “I’ll Tryâ€. I don’t think it was meant to be so pathetic, but it does come across that way to me.

Oh, and I did think that old 80’s song, “Human†was pretty pathetic, but I love the spoken-word touché where the girlfriend admidts she was “humanâ€, too. Ha. Two can play at that game...

Not exactly what you’re talking about, but as for Commitment Songs that don’t quite do their job, my favorite example is Alan Jackson’s “I’ll Tryâ€. I don’t think it was meant to be so pathetic, but it does come across that way to me.

Oh, and I did think that old 80’s song, “Human†was pretty pathetic, but I love the spoken-word touché where the girlfriend admidts she was “humanâ€, too. Ha. Two can play at that game...

So funny because this came on a mixed station last week and I giggled to myself too at that line. I could just picture the look on his face whahahaha!

Another song that reminds me a bit of "Human" is "Somebody that I used to know" by Gotye. Also "Don't you Want me" ok....off topic so back to breakup songs...

While it isn't necessarily a break up song but "It Wasn't Me" by Shaggy. While a bit innapropriate I laugh every time I hear it.

Dierks Bentley "How Am I Doin'" this one is hilarious.

Edited by nixpix5
  • Like 2

Sorry, my music's not clean. :)

Lily Allen's Smile is hilarious, especially with the video.

All American Rejects did Gives You Hell. 

And really, a lot by P!nk, especially her first album or two.  And Ingrid Michaelson's Hell No.  She did a collaboration with Deaf West Theatre for the video that is awesome. :)

The Corrs did that song I Never Really Loved You Anyway.

Alanis Morissette has that classic break up song.

Eta - I'm quite sure that Garbage did a few that would fit but the titles escape me... I love garbage.

Edited by LMD

The most hilarious one I know is a Weird Al number - One More Minute. He lists all the things he'd rather do than spend one more minute with the girl. Very funny. Some guys in college dressed 50's style and do a lip sync to it for a dorm fest.

I was scrolling to see if someone mentioned this one.

So funny because this came on a mixed station last week and I giggled to myself too at that line. I could just picture the look on his face whahahaha!

Another song that reminds me a bit of "Human" is "Somebody that I used to know" by Gotye. Also "Don't you Want me" ok....off topic so back to breakup songs...

While it isn't necessarily a break up song but "It Wasn't Me" by Shaggy. While a bit innapropriate I laugh every time I hear it.

Dierks Bentley "How Am I Doin'" this one is hilarious.

"It Wasn't Me"cracks me up every time.

The Spin Doctors had the song Little Miss Can’t-Be-Wrong. I love that one...â€I hope them cigarettes/are gonna make you cough/I hope you heard this song/and it pissed you off...â€

• Like 1

I wouldn't call it a hilarious break up song, but Green Day's Time of Your Life - the one used by countless high schools as a poignant senior goodbye song - is actually a break up song.

That song!  For about ten years I was involved in a summer children's theater program and we always used that song as the soundtrack for the slideshow of what the kids did during the two week workshop.  The kids LOVED that song but all us adult volunteers knew we used it because by the end of that time we were SO ready to break up with some of those kids.   Every year started with such hope and enthusiasm and ended with that soundtrack and us high fiving that we survived another year. 

• Like 2