Menu

Why does my bank hate me?

Carrie12345

I payed my bills on Friday.  On Friday and Saturday, I got emails thanking me for my payments.  On my billed accounts, the payments are reflected, but the money isn't out of my bank account.  Not even as a "pending" transaction.  Well, a couple of them are, just not the big ones. This has never happened in all of my years paying bills through this bank.

I am dreading calling customer service to get them to take my money!  :cursing:

I payed my bills on Friday.  On Friday and Saturday, I got emails thanking me for my payments.  On my billed accounts, the payments are reflected, but the money isn't out of my bank account.  Not even as a "pending" transaction.  Well, a couple of them are, just not the big ones. This has never happened in all of my years paying bills through this bank.

I am dreading calling customer service to get them to take my money!  :cursing:

UGH. We just went through this! We never use the online pay, but our mortgage check was lost in the mail. The (lending) bank called us 2 weeks in to let us know it didn't arrive. We wanted to take care of it immediately, so we tried to use their (lender) app. We couldn't use it because we didn't have a checking account with them, so we used the online bill pay option with our credit union. Done, right? No way. (1) It was a Thursday night, (2) they had scheduled online banking maintenance Friday, (3) they finally *mailed a check* to the mortgage lender Tuesday (I guess that's their process. Good grief, if mailing a check was reliable, we wouldn't be in this boat,) at which point our (checking acct bank) showed the debit but the credit didn't yet show up on the mortgage lender's site.

The payment finally posted to the mortgage lender Thursday, a full week after we had initially paid it online. Thus ended our foray into online bill paying through my credit union. It's auto-withdraw or bust now! 

I'm really not sure I understand the problem? If you know you paid them, and you've recorded them (either on paper or on software), why doesn't it matter that they're still showing up online? The bank has notified the payees, so there's no problem there. They thanked you. The payments just haven't cleared yet.

• Like 1

Since you paid on Friday and the next “banking day†is Monday, they will likely appear overnight Sunday night. If they don’t appear by Tuesday morning, check with the bank, but I really think this is too early to worry about it.

• Like 2

I'm really not sure I understand the problem? If you know you paid them, and you've recorded them (either on paper or on software), why doesn't it matter that they're still showing up online? The bank has notified the payees, so there's no problem there. They thanked you. The payments just haven't cleared yet.

I've never, never ever had Discover say "We have your money" and my bank say "Discover who?"

I've had Discover say "Thank you for scheduling your payment."  I've had my bank say "Payment Pending."  These aren't that.

None of you would be concerned if your bank didn't do the same thing it's done every other week for over 6 years?

It took out my internet and dental insurance bills.  It's instantly taken out all of my online and in person shopping all weekend.  Several bills are still listed as "payment pending" on their websites, so it makes sense that they're not out of my bank account yet.  But I've NEVER had two companies list my money as in their possession while my bank still had it.  Not in all my anal retentive bill paying (which I only do on Fridays) years.

Not right away. I'd give it through Monday and see what shook out Tuesday morning. My bank give me a confirmation number for each transaction so I know it got recorded. I actually print that and hang onto it until they all clear.

Do you mean they aren't showing as payment pending at your bank's website?

When I pay through the bill's website and not my bank, they always show it as received when my bank has no record of it.

I view it like writing a check. They got the check [the electronic payment] but the bank itself hasn't had it go through their system yet. It takes a couple of day for this to show up in my bank account.

For instance, if I go to my Kohls account website and pay the bill, it will not show in my bank on that same day. It's usually a good two days later, regardless of weekends.

If I go to my bank's website and schedule a payment through the bank, it will show as pending immediately. 

Is this what happened with you?

Now I'm just frustrated because I can't figure out why I don't seem to be communicating clearly. I know the difference between pending and cleared payments. I have a long history of paying bills the exact same way at the exact same time every other week.

Two bills are marked paid on their end and the money's been withdrawn. Normal.

Two bills are marked scheduled on their end and not noted on my bank account. Normal.

One bill is marked pending on their end and pending in my bank account. Normal.

Two bills are marked paid on their end, and the transactions don't appear anywhere in my bank account. Not normal.

I wasn't even trying to make a huge deal of it, but now it's driving me insane that I'm giving the impression that I don't know how online billing works.

• Like 1

Two bills are marked paid on their end, and the transactions don't appear anywhere in my bank account. Not normal..

I nderstand now. This happened to me once, but it was entirely my fault. I have multiple accounts with the same bank and had paid a bill out of the wrong account. Then it drove me crazy because it wasn’t showing in the correct account. I went as far as calling to make sure that my payment had been received, and it had. It took me a few days to figure out and I can’t remember what made me go look at the other account, but there it was. I felt really stupid at the time, but in retrospect it’s a little surprising that I don’t do it more often with the amount of transactions we do online. Could something like this have happened to you?

Huh!  Mystery half solved.  My bank's site today:

"Important Information for Debit Card Holders 

If you used your debit card to make a purchase on Friday, 10/27/17, you may see “Debit Memo Fd Debit Hold†or “Credit Memo Fd Credit Hold†for each amount in your online banking/mobile account. These transactions were made to correct an issue with our debit card process, and should not negatively impact your balance. These transactions will be replaced by entries with the appropriate description beginning Tuesday, 10/31/17. "

This doesn't describe my specific concern, but they obviously did have issues on Friday.  Everything's all balanced out now!  Whew!

• Like 2