Menu

How to get dried slime out of carpet? God help me.

AimeeM

DD16 and her best friend have a slime addiction. It's a costly -- and messy -- addiction. Somehow, There are about 5 large spots of obviously dried, glittery slime on DD's bedroom carpet. She has tried all of the typical ways to get it out -- goo gone, rubbing alcohol, etc. It appears that the slime they made leaked out of the ziplocks they were stored in (probably not shut correctly).

Where there weren't rules and guidelines in place for making the slime before, there are NOW. 

However, that doesn't solve the current dilemma -- how to get the old stuff off.

I'm absolutely willing to hire someone, if they can do something I can't, but I hesitate because outside of the "slime spots," the carpet is immaculate (and new *sob*). 

I would try putting a damp towel on it for a couple of hours to rehydrate. Then I would use a home carpet cleaning machine.

I don't have a carpet cleaning machine -- I have a vacuum and carpet cleaning spray. We only have carpet on the second floor of the house and we hadn't -- until now -- had an issue that a vacuum and scrubbing couldn't handle, lol.

We had something like that and hired a carpet cleaner.  I am pretty sure they covered it with a wet cloth and then used a hot iron to basically melt it to the cloth.  They said to make sure the cloth is wet or the iron would burn the carpet.  I didn't see them do it though.  I just heard about it later.  Not sure if it would work on the kind of slim you have or not.

A Facebook post said vinegar dissolved slime. No idea if that true it probably depends on the slime. And you need to spot test to make sure it won't bleach the carpet too. Otherwise maybe borax or something? I mean it's made with borax maybe that would soften it or something?

Any chemists on here.