Menu

What the heck is there to do on a Saturday night?

SparklyUnicorn

I rarely feel like I want to go out on a Saturday night, but tonight I did, and I couldn't come up with a damn thing to do.  Nothing good at the movies or the theater.  That's my usual go to.  Didn't feel hungry enough to go out to eat (remember my "I'm so hungry" post?  I'm not now!).  I don't want to go to the mall.  We've tried going to the bowling alley in the past, but it's mobbed with leagues.  So what else is there?!

• Like 1

I had to google that.  :lol:

I might burst into flames upon walking in so....probably not....LOL 

Well, it is a candle-lit service, so maybe you would fit right in, if a little brilliantly.  :0).  

Maybe there's a gaming group nearby? Or a mildly interesting convention somewhere? There's was a curiousities market here earlier today that was fun but crowded.

I can't remember where you are but we often have cheap concerts with local bands or city orchestras. Sometimes museums have Saturday night things.

You could just go to the grocery store across town all dressed up like you're important :D

• Like 2

I’m posting from the couch, ... at the rock climbing place. It has a program called pebbles where kids, for 10 dollars each can climb for 90 minutes. They get a harness, and one teacher/coach per five kids. They also have a bunch of auto belayers, and climbing walls and stuff so kids rarely have to wait for a turn to climb.

Edited by Julie Smith
  • Like 2

Coffee shop or dessert place

Symphony

Opera

Comedy club

Play

Ballet

Concert

Sporting event (even local high school stuff)

Holiday event (lights at Christmas, haunted house, etc.)

24-hour diner

Tapas bar

Events at local colleges/universities (museums, speeches, etc.)

Truck stops (lol -- my sister always finds the most and weirdest stuff to buy at truck stops)

Putt-putt/mini-golf

Arcade

Carnival or fair

• Like 4

Old married folks warning:

We sometimes go to Home Depot and buy things.

Haha, we do that or Lowes or go to the tool section at Sears. :D

Maybe you need a hot tub? I've been thinking I need one. I could solve a lot of life's problems with a hot tub.

In all seriousness though, you could make dulce de leche ice cream and watch the season 2 episodes of Speechless on ABC. Worked for me. 

• Like 1

I was in the same boat the other night when my oldest had a school Halloween party from 5-7. It takes at least 30 minutes for me to get there, so it's not worth it to me to go home in traffic. There's a mall and tons of shopping over there, but I didn't want to spend more money. I didn't even want my special coffee treat that I usually get when I have to wait around. I ended up sitting in the Barnes and Noble parking lot because I was afraid to go in and spend $$. Soooo bored.

I'm often stuck waiting a couple of hours for my dd at an in-town event, and there's only so much shopping and spending a mom can do. I bought a 10-visit pool pass, and stuck a bag of stuff in my vehicle. I only like to do laps for an hour, so fingers crossed my motivation will last past the first visit. :-)

• Like 3

We got bored and stayed home. Kids did their homework after playing on their iPads for a few hours in the late afternoon.

How late is the library open? :lol:

Library closes at 6pm, Barnes & Noble at 10pm, Half Price Bookstore at 11pm. My oldest is a bookworm and it isn’t unusual for us to leave the bookstore at 11pm.

Dh and I went to see Only The Brave last night. While both of us knew it wasn't going to be light and fun, it left us feeling heavier than we expected.  Not the greatest date night!  :001_rolleyes:

I'm still a fan of hitting the corner bar, where the pool table is free!  But paying crazy prices for drinks annoys me, so it's rare.

Bonfires with friends don't happen often, but those are good, too.

And I do love browsing Lowes, lol!

Go out?!? No, thank you. I want to be in my PJs by 7 and falling asleep in front of the TV.

On the rare occasion I can stay awake long enough to do something:

Out to dinner.

Take in a play at a local theater or the high school.

Go out for ice cream.

If the weather is cooperating a walk around town. I am a total voyeur and love catching a glimpse into people's homes as I walk by. Decorating ideas, an interesting paint job. Dh hates this and tells me to stop looking. If you don't want me to look, close your blinds.

• Like 2

Every other Saturday is our bible study group.  Pot luck, singing, bible study, and then staying until late hours to visit.  

This past Saturday was not a bible study night and I thought about going out to dinner with friends, but I was so wiped out, I just stayed home.  Friday night I had 10 teens until 1am at my house,  along with their moms visiting with me.  And I was wiped out then, but did it anyway.

Sometimes I go out with friends for dinner and maybe just coffee and talking.  Sometimes I go to someone's house for game night.  Sometimes I go out with DH to an outdoor music thing and have dinner there.  It just depends.  Honestly, I am think next school year (after middle son graduates from high school) I plan to find a Sunday night church service, go every other week to that and every other week to my bible study, and stop going to church at all on Sun mornings.

Every other Saturday is our bible study group.  Pot luck, singing, bible study, and then staying until late hours to visit.  

This past Saturday was not a bible study night and I thought about going out to dinner with friends, but I was so wiped out, I just stayed home.  Friday night I had 10 teens until 1am at my house,  along with their moms visiting with me.  And I was wiped out then, but did it anyway.

Sometimes I go out with friends for dinner and maybe just coffee and talking.  Sometimes I go to someone's house for game night.  Sometimes I go out with DH to an outdoor music thing and have dinner there.  It just depends.  Honestly, I am think next school year (after middle son graduates from high school) I plan to find a Sunday night church service, go every other week to that and every other week to my bible study, and stop going to church at all on Sun mornings.

Yeah, it stinks, but I don't know people.  No family around.  I don't know where to meet people (church isn't an option).  I thought about a meetup group, but I haven't found one with a theme I'm interested in.  And then it takes time to develop friendships.  None of that will happen over night.  I have no time.  It really is just once in a great while I have nothing to do and I wanna go out and do something. 

I can't even go to a damn coffee shop because there is nothing there I can have.  Except water.   Which...ya know...water?  

• Like 1

I went to a football game last night, but I have a feeling that isn't your thing.

What about inviting someone over for dinner? Maybe a family from one of your kids activities or someone from your math class.

I don't know people.  Nobody sticks around at the activities that I could even talk to.

And my math class?  Not unless the teacher would want to get together.  I'm old enough to be anyone's mother. 

I don't know people.  Nobody sticks around at the activities that I could even talk to.

And my math class?  Not unless the teacher would want to get together.  I'm old enough to be anyone's mother. 

I wouldn't let being "old enough to be anyone's mother" stop you from making friends/having people over.  

I'm nearing 60, and our kids are all currently living far away, yet we (hubby and I) regularly have young people from ages 18 on up over for meals, for games, to go to various events with.  I find being around young people keeps me young and they all seem to enjoy spending time with us.  

Of course, I do think it helps that I like to cook and they like to eat... :-)

• Like 2

My dd is fine with the older people in her class - she actually prefers them to the dual enrollment and college-aged students.  

• Like 2

I don't know people. Nobody sticks around at the activities that I could even talk to.

And my math class? Not unless the teacher would want to get together. I'm old enough to be anyone's mother.

OK, maybe inviting them to your house is not comfortable but what about inviting them for a cup of coffee or meeting for ice cream right after the activity? That would give you a chance to chat. Or you could take cupcakes (or whatever the low carb alternative is) to the activity to share. Just something to break the ice to give you a chance to have a conversation.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the age difference. I joined a hiking group this year. I've made several new acquaintances and 3 real friends. The friends are 15 years younger than me, 10 years older, and 15 years older. We have a lot in common and a lot of similar interests. We are all introverts who probably would have never struck up a friendship had it not been for the hiking group. I would have never guessed I had so much in common with a mom who has sent two kids off to college or with one who has a severely disabled son just a few years younger than me.

• Like 3

Well, we went on a night-time lantern tour of an old cemetery. This cemetery was chartered in 1852 and has 40,000 graves. They do it only in October and November, but it is a history tour not a ghost tour. Not your typical Saturday night out, but I loved it :)

• Like 3

When I want to get out, and don't particularly want to "do" anything, I go to the bookstore and read my butt off. Then I buy a book for the trip home.

Other options: board game group? walking tour? volunteerism? concert or play?

We do the bookstore thing too.
  • Like 1

I was performing in a Halloween themed show last night. There were loads of local performances this weekend. Do you like music in a pub, or the symphony, or a local musical or play? Our county high schools put on some amazing productions that are cheap to attend. Also, holiday shows are right around the corner.