Menu

chemistry advice please...AP, synchronous...Dicentra? MorningGlory?

DS14 is a freshman, taking Clover Creek Physics this year (and absolutely loving it). Our plan is for him to do Chemistry in 10th, Bio in 11th, and Calculus-Based Physics in 12th (perhaps with DE figuring in for Bio and Physics and some others of interest). He is also taking an AoPS class through WTMA that he adores. He loves the interaction with the teacher and other students in the live class. 

He wants to do AP for science, and I had always planned to sign him up with PA Homeschoolers, starting with Mr. Moskaluk's class next year. I have heard nothing but good things about him, but I see that his class is asynchronous. Now I'm unsure. 

So for next year, he wants AP Chemistry, but with a live/synchronous component. Is there one? I looked through the giant chem thread but didn't see a secular one. Might have missed it though? 

Dicentra, I know you were thinking about offering chem online, styled after MorningGlory's physics. Is it possible you will have an AP option? Or close enough that you could let kids know what else they might want to study to do well on the AP test, even if the class isn't labeled AP? (We both liked the sample you posted recently. :D )

MorningGlory, I know you offer chemistry locally. Any chance you are going to expand that to online next year? I know people have asked about that in prior threads, and now I'm totally getting why there was the demand there. (I also know you already expanded to offer two sections of physics this year, so I think I know the answer here, but I just have to ask anyway. :lol: )

And about Mr. Moskaluk...what is it exactly that people love so much? I have heard he makes it personal, and I've seen a few examples of that (mainly in returned graded work), but I'm wondering how is it that he manages to produce such a sense of connection without "talking" together. I definitely could be convinced to go with PAHSers if I feel confident enough that DS would enjoy the class.

Thoughts?

• Like 1

DS14 is a freshman, taking Clover Creek Physics this year (and absolutely loving it). Our plan is for him to do Chemistry in 10th, Bio in 11th, and Calculus-Based Physics in 12th (perhaps with DE figuring in for Bio and Physics and some others of interest). He is also taking an AoPS class through WTMA that he adores. He loves the interaction with the teacher and other students in the live class. 

He wants to do AP for science, and I had always planned to sign him up with PA Homeschoolers, starting with Mr. Moskaluk's class next year. I have heard nothing but good things about him, but I see that his class is asynchronous. Now I'm unsure. 

So for next year, he wants AP Chemistry, but with a live/synchronous component. Is there one? I looked through the giant chem thread but didn't see a secular one. Might have missed it though? 

Dicentra, I know you were thinking about offering chem online, styled after MorningGlory's physics. Is it possible you will have an AP option? Or close enough that you could let kids know what else they might want to study to do well on the AP test, even if the class isn't labeled AP? (We both liked the sample you posted recently. :D )

MorningGlory, I know you offer chemistry locally. Any chance you are going to expand that to online next year? I know people have asked about that in prior threads, and now I'm totally getting why there was the demand there. (I also know you already expanded to offer two sections of physics this year, so I think I know the answer here, but I just have to ask anyway. :lol: )

And about Mr. Moskaluk...what is it exactly that people love so much? I have heard he makes it personal, and I've seen a few examples of that (mainly in returned graded work), but I'm wondering how is it that he manages to produce such a sense of connection without "talking" together. I definitely could be convinced to go with PAHSers if I feel confident enough that DS would enjoy the class.

Thoughts?

Hey A.V.!

I still am planning on having online chem up and running for Fall 2018 but not, unfortunately, AP Chem just yet.  I figure that I'd get the Reg and Hons up and running first and then worry about AP. :)  Dd took AP Chem through Mr. Moskaluk last year (I hadn't taught AP Chem since the curriculum changed and I didn't have the time last year to figure out the new course/exam to teach it to her myself) and she enjoyed it.  It's not asynchronous in the same sense as Derek Owens - dd says that there are deadlines for all the assignments, labs, and tests.  No live component, though.  There is a chat room where students can ask questions of each other, of the TAs, and of Mr. Moskaluk.

I plan on having a fairly rigorous honours class on offer but AP is more about specifics - know what I mean? :D  In following along with dd's course last year, there are some fairly specific concepts in the AP course that I wouldn't put in a non-AP course (the new AP curriculum, for example, seems to have a kind of obsession with photoelectron spectroscopy which I find... odd :) ).

The PAH AP Chem course is very, very thorough and a student who works hard will be very well prepared for the AP exam.  I think that is the biggest strength of the course.  Mr. Moskaluk is also very well organized, well prepared, and genuinely cares about his students.  I think part of me wants to wait to offer an online AP Chem course until he retires - I don't honestly think I could do better. :)  I have chatted with him briefly about my plans for the Reg and Hons online chem courses to see if he had any recommendations as to what he'd like to see students cover in a first chem course.  He was very helpful and very friendly. :)

• Like 5

Bummer. I looked up two providers that I know of, then I reread your post (because my brain was telling me that the providers you listed were all secular) and found the "secular" caveat. Sorry.

I'll leave these links for anyone else who is looking for a non-secular provider. Sorry!!

I think Wilson Hill (Christian provider) offers an AP Chemistry class. Kolbe (Catholic provider) also offers a live AP Chem class.

• Like 3

And about Mr. Moskaluk...what is it exactly that people love so much? I have heard he makes it personal, and I've seen a few examples of that (mainly in returned graded work), but I'm wondering how is it that he manages to produce such a sense of connection without "talking" together.

My oldest emails him when he isn’t sure and has gotten a reply within 24 hours a few times. There is also a class discussion board where students can post any questions they have.

What my oldest like about the class is that quiz deadlines are on Monday so if for whatever reason he forgot a quiz, he can do it on weekends. The online quizzes are also opened two weeks before the deadlines so my kid can do them as soon as he feels he is ready to.

The labs so far are fun. He has done 6 labs so far out and 2 more labs to be done by end November. The labs are always posted way before deadlines so he could plan his labs around mini road trips and have time to buy any household item required for lab. My kid did three labs consecutively last Saturday afternoon. The lab kit was affordable too and we could find whatever we need to provide either at a supermarket or dollar store.

The cost is cheaper than hiring a local chem tutor for us and the turnaround time is really good for my oldest. He is very patient when answering questions. My oldest doesn’t like to talk. He prefers written communication. So even for Roy Speed’s Shakespeare classes, he type into the chat box instead of talking on the microphone.

• Like 1

so far, we like AP Chem. And we loathed our first asynchronous PAH AP class last year. so we were extremely hesitant about PAH for this year. my ds is taking AP Chem and AP Macro and loving them both and really, really learning. i think part of what's so good about AP Chem from what i can see, is that there is so much that has gone into weekly work that keeps them on task and helps them learn. there is an extensive outline to print alongside the textbook reading. there are outsourced videos every week (multiple) that ties into the textbook reading. there are homework assignments that really bring it all together and makes them think and work on all they've learned. all that together, plus the ability to ask Qs on the discussion board (or straight from Mr. M like my ds likes to do), has made it a great learning experience thus far. so far, so good for us. i feel he's learning as much as he did in WTMA Bio last year (with 2x weekly live lectures). crazy but true!

• Like 4

Hey A.V.!

I still am planning on having online chem up and running for Fall 2018 but not, unfortunately, AP Chem just yet. I figure that I'd get the Reg and Hons up and running first and then worry about AP. :) Dd took AP Chem through Mr. Moskaluk last year (I hadn't taught AP Chem since the curriculum changed and I didn't have the time last year to figure out the new course/exam to teach it to her myself) and she enjoyed it. It's not asynchronous in the same sense as Derek Owens - dd says that there are deadlines for all the assignments, labs, and tests. No live component, though. There is a chat room where students can ask questions of each other, of the TAs, and of Mr. Moskaluk.

I plan on having a fairly rigorous honours class on offer but AP is more about specifics - know what I mean? :D In following along with dd's course last year, there are some fairly specific concepts in the AP course that I wouldn't put in a non-AP course (the new AP curriculum, for example, seems to have a kind of obsession with photoelectron spectroscopy which I find... odd :) ).

The PAH AP Chem course is very, very thorough and a student who works hard will be very well prepared for the AP exam. I think that is the biggest strength of the course. Mr. Moskaluk is also very well organized, well prepared, and genuinely cares about his students. I think part of me wants to wait to offer an online AP Chem course until he retires - I don't honestly think I could do better. :) I have chatted with him briefly about my plans for the Reg and Hons online chem courses to see if he had any recommendations as to what he'd like to see students cover in a first chem course. He was very helpful and very friendly. :)

This is very helpful! Thanks! Knowing there are deadlines for the work is extremely helpful. That is definitely a requirement for DS.

I can see where introducing more obscure concepts wouldn't work for a non-AP class.

That is very high praise for Mr. Moskaluk! Thanks so much for chiming in.

• Like 1

My oldest emails him when he isn’t sure and has gotten a reply within 24 hours a few times. There is also a class discussion board where students can post any questions they have.

What my oldest like about the class is that quiz deadlines are on Monday so if for whatever reason he forgot a quiz, he can do it on weekends. The online quizzes are also opened two weeks before the deadlines so my kid can do them as soon as he feels he is ready to.

The labs so far are fun. He has done 6 labs so far out and 2 more labs to be done by end November. The labs are always posted way before deadlines so he could plan his labs around mini road trips and have time to buy any household item required for lab. My kid did three labs consecutively last Saturday afternoon. The lab kit was affordable too and we could find whatever we need to provide either at a supermarket or dollar store.

The cost is cheaper than hiring a local chem tutor for us and the turnaround time is really good for my oldest. He is very patient when answering questions. My oldest doesn’t like to talk. He prefers written communication. So even for Roy Speed’s Shakespeare classes, he type into the chat box instead of talking on the microphone.

Thanks for this! DS is most looking forward to labs. He's loved hands-on science best right from the beginning of our homeschool.

What is hilarious to me, reading through your post, is the realization that DS doesn't actually talk to anyone even during the live classes. He types/chats, and he (adamantly) rejects the microphone headphones I've offered him. So maybe the adjustment won't be as difficult as I imagined.

so far, we like AP Chem. And we loathed our first asynchronous PAH AP class last year. so we were extremely hesitant about PAH for this year. my ds is taking AP Chem and AP Macro and loving them both and really, really learning. i think part of what's so good about AP Chem from what i can see, is that there is so much that has gone into weekly work that keeps them on task and helps them learn. there is an extensive outline to print alongside the textbook reading. there are outsourced videos every week (multiple) that ties into the textbook reading. there are homework assignments that really bring it all together and makes them think and work on all they've learned. all that together, plus the ability to ask Qs on the discussion board (or straight from Mr. M like my ds likes to do), has made it a great learning experience thus far. so far, so good for us. i feel he's learning as much as he did in WTMA Bio last year (with 2x weekly live lectures). crazy but true!

"...so much that has gone onto weekly work that keeps them on task and helps them learn."

That sounds just like my favorite thing about Clover Creek Physics. Those morning messages she does are priceless. And, actually, I can believe your comparison of learning to the class with 2 live lectures based solely on the efficiency and order of that system! Thanks!

• Like 1

think part of what's so good about AP Chem from what i can see, is that there is so much that has gone into weekly work that keeps them on task and helps them learn. there is an extensive outline to print alongside the textbook reading. there are outsourced videos every week (multiple) that ties into the textbook reading

Are there *daily* "morning messages" with Mr. Moskaluk's class? Or does he post the whole week's information on Monday so the kids can read/print it all out at once?

• Like 1

Are there *daily* "morning messages" with Mr. Moskaluk's class? Or does he post the whole week's information on Monday so the kids can read/print it all out at once?

The whole week’s work is out by Friday so kids can start working on it during weekends which is what my oldest does. We also printed Clover Creek Physics daily morning messages on Saturday by the week’s worth when my oldest took that class two years ago.

ETA:

We are on Pacific Time. So if teachers post the work before they go to sleep on Friday night, it would just be after dinner for us and my oldest would work on his PAH homework for chemistry and for physics until he is in the mood for bed.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

Thoughts?

My ds is taking AP Chemistry with Mr. Moskaluk. I was also hesitant about the asynchronous aspect, but ds is really enjoying it and learning a lot. It’s the most work I’ve seen him put into a class, but he does so willingly (which was quite surprising)! Mr. Moskaluk’s forums, prompt responses to emails, support, and advice - as well as active student interactions on the forums - are all what make the class engaging, “personalâ€, and motivating.

• Like 2

Thanks so much for asking this! The Clover Creek messages are all released weekly as well, and DS prints them all out before the week begins. It's so great to know exactly what the expectations are for each week/day. Glad to hear from Arcadia that they are released together for Mr. M's class too.

My ds is taking AP Chemistry with Mr. Moskaluk. I was also hesitant about the asynchronous aspect, but ds is really enjoying it and learning a lot. It’s the most work I’ve seen him put into a class, but he does so willingly (which was quite surprising)! Mr. Moskaluk’s forums, prompt responses to emails, support, and advice - as well as active student interactions on the forums - are all what make the class engaging, “personalâ€, and motivating.

Thank you for this. I am starting to feel better about this. I followed the rave reviews to Clover Creek, and they didn't steer me wrong. So I'm starting to think that way about PAHSers chemistry too. :)

• Like 2

It's so great to know exactly what the expectations are for each week/day. Glad to hear from Arcadia that they are released together for Mr. M's class too.

Mr Moskaluk typically puts up the work two weeks before deadlines. So my kid can see, print and do work all the way to those due 14 days from today.

He doesn’t assign work by day but by week unlike Clover Creek Physics and PAH Physics (Jeff Lanctot), so you might need to sit down with your child and plan how to get the work done. As in split a week’s worth of homework into days.

• Like 3

Hey A.V.!

I still am planning on having online chem up and running for Fall 2018 but not, unfortunately, AP Chem just yet. I figure that I'd get the Reg and Hons up and running first and then worry about AP. :) Dd took AP Chem through Mr. Moskaluk last year (I hadn't taught AP Chem since the curriculum changed and I didn't have the time last year to figure out the new course/exam to teach it to her myself) and she enjoyed it. It's not asynchronous in the same sense as Derek Owens - dd says that there are deadlines for all the assignments, labs, and tests. No live component, though. There is a chat room where students can ask questions of each other, of the TAs, and of Mr. Moskaluk.

I plan on having a fairly rigorous honours class on offer but AP is more about specifics - know what I mean? :D In following along with dd's course last year, there are some fairly specific concepts in the AP course that I wouldn't put in a non-AP course (the new AP curriculum, for example, seems to have a kind of obsession with photoelectron spectroscopy which I find... odd :) ).

The PAH AP Chem course is very, very thorough and a student who works hard will be very well prepared for the AP exam. I think that is the biggest strength of the course. Mr. Moskaluk is also very well organized, well prepared, and genuinely cares about his students. I think part of me wants to wait to offer an online AP Chem course until he retires - I don't honestly think I could do better. :) I have chatted with him briefly about my plans for the Reg and Hons online chem courses to see if he had any recommendations as to what he'd like to see students cover in a first chem course. He was very helpful and very friendly. :)

Are you planning on having a once a week live class? Maybe an optional one for those who don't want to attend?

• Like 2

He releases the works up to two weeks before the deadlines AND things are posted on Friday so they can get started over the weekend?!!? This is my kind of organization!

I actually like that he assigns work "by the week" vs "by the day" - that format works so much better for our wacky schedules.

Thanks for the information! Sounds like the perfect setup for ds (and dd if she decides to do AP Chem instead of Physics next year...)

The whole week’s work is out by Friday so kids can start working on it during weekends which is what my oldest does. We also printed Clover Creek Physics daily morning messages on Saturday by the week’s worth when my oldest took that class two years ago.

ETA:
We are on Pacific Time. So if teachers post the work before they go to sleep on Friday night, it would just be after dinner for us and my oldest would work on his PAH homework for chemistry and for physics until he is in the mood for bed.

Mr Moskaluk typically puts up the work two weeks before deadlines. So my kid can see, print and do work all the way to those due 14 days from today.

He doesn’t assign work by day but by week unlike Clover Creek Physics and PAH Physics (Jeff Lanctot), so you might need to sit down with your child and plan how to get the work done. As in split a week’s worth of homework into days.

• Like 1

He releases the works up to two weeks before the deadlines AND things are posted on Friday so they can get started over the weekend?!!? This is my kind of organization!

Homework (studying and quizzes) are released about two weeks in advanced. His quizzes deadlines are on Mondays. We didn’t check every Monday so I can’t guarantee the two weeks in advance part for every week. However the work is definitely out by Friday so your children have more than 11 days to get the quizzes done.

Labs instructions are out for more than a month. For example, my kid has five labs that are due after Thanksgiving. Three of those labs were out more than two weeks ago and the last two labs were out last week. So very ample time to get labs done and complete the lab quizzes.

I think there is enough chemicals for two kids to use in one lab kit so you don’t need to buy two sets of lab kits if both your children want to take the same year or consecutive years.

I’ll look out for a used copy of the Chang 10th edition textbook. We bought a gently used hardcopy for $10 from Half Price Bookstore.

The quizzes are using WebAssign.

• Like 1

Dd was just telling me how much she missed WebAssign, lol.  

Students who don't do well in Mr. M's AP chem class (as far as I can tell):

(1) do not make AP chem a priority and stay caught up with the material

(2) do not make sure they understand everything 100% 

(3) are reluctant to post their questions to the discussion board and admit to the entire class they don't understanding something.   

If you post questions regularly, you will be rewarded with timely responses from Mr. M.  It is remarkable how you can build a relationship with him from text messages only.  

For a secular class where you meet with students at regular intervals, you can try Stanford Online High School, but it's more expensive and more work and doesn't prepare you as well, according to dd.  

• Like 2

Dd was just telling me how much she missed WebAssign, lol.

Students who don't do well in Mr. M's AP chem class (as far as I can tell):

(1) do not make AP chem a priority and stay caught up with the material

(2) do not make sure they understand everything 100%

(3) are reluctant to post their questions to the discussion board and admit to the entire class they don't understanding something.

If you post questions regularly, you will be rewarded with timely responses from Mr. M. It is remarkable how you can build a relationship with him from text messages only.

For a secular class where you meet with students at regular intervals, you can try Stanford Online High School, but it's more expensive and more work and doesn't prepare you as well, according to dd.

Thanks for this. I think DS will have no problem with 1-2, and I will work with him on 3. :)

I have checked out Stanford. Oh my gosh, so much more expensive as to be off the table. Glad to know it's not worth it for other reasons anyway though!

The thing about (3) is that posting your questions early and often is a sign of intelligence, not weakness.  Dd had a little competition going with another gal in her class.  This other student did her homework so quickly and so thoroughly dd was amazed she would post these detailed questions about minor inconsistencies that resulted in incomplete understanding.  Dd took up the challenge and did the same.  It was like she wanted to get her money's worth of data out of the class.  "I don't understand <insert minor point here>.  What am I not getting."  Students who are posting these questions may be appear to be exposing themselves as laggards who don't get it, but actually they are the best students who know what they don't know and take steps to rectify.  

We do know students who hated AP chem at PAH, and I'm guessing it's for the 3 reasons stated above.  (We don't know them well, but had a funny/awkward moment when the mom asked my dd: "Oh, you took that AP chem class?  Wasn't it awful?"  Uh, no.)

Dd took AP bio at SOHS last year and loved it, but heard through the grapevine that their AP chem is meh, and students there felt unprepared for the exam.  

• Like 2

off-topic, sort of. but how does your ds like clover creek physics? is he a strong mathy kid or more in the middle? wondering for my dd next year... ;)

Not Alte Veste, but my daughter is currently in the class.  She is not interested in STEM at all but usually does decent in math.  She absolutely loves the class and Jetta.  She is a perfectionist dealing with anxiety and depression but the way the class is set up is enormous help in dealing with it (no time limits, two tries on the quizzes).  The class is very thorough and detailed, I can only highly recommend it.

Edited for grammar error

Edited by rdj2027
  • Like 2

The thing about (3) is that posting your questions early and often is a sign of intelligence, not weakness. Dd had a little competition going with another gal in her class. This other student did her homework so quickly and so thoroughly dd was amazed she would post these detailed questions about minor inconsistencies that resulted in incomplete understanding. Dd took up the challenge and did the same. It was like she wanted to get her money's worth of data out of the class. "I don't understand <insert minor point here>. What am I not getting." Students who are posting these questions may be appear to be exposing themselves as laggards who don't get it, but actually they are the best students who know what they don't know and take steps to rectify.

I agree. The issue with DS isn't hesitancy/embarrassment to admit he doesn't understand something though. He is just a natural born puzzler and truly enjoys self-discovery. He gets disappointed when someone reveals too big a hint or helps too much in any pursuit, not just math. I think talking to him about collaboration will probably be most effective, because when the math and science increase in difficulty, no one works alone, really. No single person is going to self-discover the cure for cancer.

off-topic, sort of. but how does your ds like clover creek physics? is he a strong mathy kid or more in the middle? wondering for my dd next year... ;)

He absolutely loves it. Everything you've read about the class on these boards is true. :) It's just the whole package—meaty, interesting, well-organized, with a teacher who obviously cares about her students and their learning. He is very good at math, an AoPS lover through and through. His biggest issue is 14yo boy carelessness. LOL And that can be a big issue, although it is getting better. Seriously though, the class is great, to the point that I would have a very hard time deciding between PAHSers AP Chem and her chemistry if she offers it even though it won't be AP.

Edited by Alte Veste Academy
  • Like 4

Elements flash cards DIY if your son wants to start memorising the first few rows of the periodic table over summer next year.

http://stemsheets.com/science/periodic-table-flash-cards

http://ellenjmchenry.com/quick-six/

The periodic table is given in the AP Chemistry exam booklet. It’s just easier to have some of the common ones memorized.

My DS12 is careless. That’s why his class scores are always lower than exam scores. It’s just easier for him to be careful for an exam than to be careful for all the quizzes and exams year round for that subject.

• Like 1

Alte Veste, we feel the same way!  I'm not sure about APChem or Ms Jetta's chem.   DD14 wants Ms Jetta!   DD14 does not have a strong chemistry background so jumping headlong into AP might be a poor decision on my part.  

• Like 2

Alte Veste, we feel the same way!  I'm not sure about APChem or Ms Jetta's chem.   DD14 wants Ms Jetta!   DD14 does not have a strong chemistry background so jumping headlong into AP might be a poor decision on my part.  

Based on ETA below, LOL, I'm saying don't they all love Ms. Jetta!

• Like 1

I don't think Jetta is planning on offering Chem though. Did I miss something?

You've missed all the begging!?!? ;)

ETA: And I mean that since Jetta is his current science teacher, and I know she teaches chem locally, she is in the best position right now to guide me about what to do about DS14 next year, and THAT is what I was referring to! Just to be clear. Just occurred to me I didn't want to inadvertently start a rumor! :D

• Like 2

You've missed all the begging!?!? ;)

ETA: And I mean that since Jetta is his current science teacher, and I know she teaches chem locally, she is in the best position right now to guide me about what to do about DS14 next year, and THAT is what I was referring to! Just to be clear. Just occurred to me I didn't want to inadvertently start a rumor! :D

I know she considered it in the past, so I was thinking maybe she was thinking about it again. :) 

Yes, my kid misses her. 

• Like 1

I know she considered it in the past, so I was thinking maybe she was thinking about it again. :)

Yes, my kid misses her. 

Hi Roadrunner's kid! :-) I hope you are having a fabulous year! 

Okay...I was considering adding chemistry to the mix for the 2018-19 school year, but after having a heart-to-heart talk with my dh about it this past weekend, I've decided NOT to do so. I will continue to offer two sections of physics, but I will not expand physics any further or add chemistry next year. It will be our younger son's senior year, and dh wants us to really concentrate our energies on that son's goals/plans/needs, and I agree with his wisdom and foresight. For some unknown reason, our younger son wants a second year of biology, so I will have to dig deeeeeppppppp to do that.  :confused1:

Thank you all for you kind words and encouragement. I love teaching physics to your kiddos!! It is a dream-come-true for me. :-)

Now...let's all keep watch on Dicentra's course progress. I know her chemistry course will be AWESOME! 

• Like 9

Okay...I was considering adding chemistry to the mix for the 2018-19 school year, but after having a heart-to-heart talk with my dh about it this past weekend, I've decided NOT to do so. I will continue to offer two sections of physics, but I will not expand physics any further or add chemistry next year. It will be our younger son's senior year, and dh wants us to really concentrate our energies on that son's goals/plans/needs, and I agree with his wisdom and foresight. For some unknown reason, our younger son wants a second year of biology, so I will have to dig deeeeeppppppp to do that.  :confused1:

Thank you all for you kind words and encouragement. I love teaching physics to your kiddos!! It is a dream-come-true for me. :-)

Now...let's all keep watch on Dicentra's course progress. I know her chemistry course will be AWESOME! 

Well, our youngest DD's are about the same age, so maybe I can keep my hopes up that you'll add chemistry to your online offerings by the time that DD needs it!

Okay...I was considering adding chemistry to the mix for the 2018-19 school year, but after having a heart-to-heart talk with my dh about it this past weekend, I've decided NOT to do so. I will continue to offer two sections of physics, but I will not expand physics any further or add chemistry next year. It will be our younger son's senior year, and dh wants us to really concentrate our energies on that son's goals/plans/needs, and I agree with his wisdom and foresight. For some unknown reason, our younger son wants a second year of biology, so I will have to dig deeeeeppppppp to do that. :confused1:

Yes, we are watching closely Dicentra's plans. For us it will come down to the live component. This kids needs a live class.

Edited by Roadrunner
  • Like 3

I want to chime in with additional praise for Jetta. My son loves her class. Given that he is more of a humanities kid  and has to work very hard to do well on the tests, the fact that he loves the class anyway is really a testament to the teacher. From the mom POV, I think Jetta is incredibly organized and I love that more than words can express :)

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 4