Menu

What's with the ads?

EmmaNZ

Grammar question for 5th graders

Mangoes which are grown in hot countries are delicious.

Mangoes, which are grown in hot countries, are delicious.

These two sentences were given to real students last year in a UK test given to all school pupils age 10 and 11 (year 6, approximately US grade 5 I think). The children were asked to explain how the meaning of the two sentences differ. Would your children be able to do this at that age? I have to say that, whilst I understand the distinction, I think under exam conditions at age 11 answering that question is really difficult. What say you, hive?

My 10 year old was able to tell me verbally, I don't know if he would be able to write something under testing conditions. We haven't covered it in grammar yet.

• Like 1

My 6th grader got it but not my 4th grader. I didn’t read it aloud to either. I have no 5th grader to experiment on. :)

I know a fifth grader right now who, if given those two sentences, would read them with the exact same monotone "inflection". I doubt he could tell you what the subtle difference is between them, nor care if you explained it. And he's a smart kid! But he's not being taught this sort of thing.

I just asked my 5th grader and he was able to explain the difference. But this is a kid who complains about doing grammar, yet asks to listen to the Grammar Girl podcast when we are running errands.

I just asked my 5th grader and he was able to explain the difference. But this is a kid who complains about doing grammar, yet asks to listen to the Grammar Girl podcast when we are running errands.

Where can I find this podcast??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mangoes which are grown in hot countries are delicious.

Mangoes, which are grown in hot countries, are delicious.

These two sentences were given to real students last year in a UK test given to all school pupils age 10 and 11 (year 6, approximately US grade 5 I think). The children were asked to explain how the meaning of the two sentences differ. Would your children be able to do this at that age? I have to say that, whilst I understand the distinction, I think under exam conditions at age 11 answering that question is really difficult. What say you, hive?

My sixth grader got it, we have used FLL on and off for the past few years. She’s never had any formal testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where can I find this podcast??

You should be able to find it via a search for “Grammar Girl†on most podcast apps (standard iPhone podcast app, Stitcher, Overcast, etc.). Also, the website, which includes transcripts of the podcast episodes, can be found here: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/grammar-girl

• Like 1