Menu

What's for dinner?

Elizabeth86

Well, I've got you all beat.  This is the busy season for our business, so I had heated up field roast sausages (that is to say, fake sausages) and white bread with fake butter (we don't have a toaster).  The kids had blueberries and those amy's vegetable and black bean burritos (they make me gag, thus the fake sausages).  

We don't do a ton of fancy eating from about Halloween until Christmas.

Indian inspired Mommy Concoction.

Mommy Concoction is a regularly featured menu item where mom picks some random ingredient that she wants to use up and starts adding things to the pan and eventually has a meal. This menu item usually starts with one idea in mind but by the time the meal is actually finished it has gone through 2 or 3 variations in my head before one gets served.

Tonight started with thawed steak that I was going to pan fry and make crashed potatoes as a side, then it became stir fry then it was going to be fried rice and after about getting halfway through cooking I remembered we just had a stir fry on Monday so I changed gear and turned it into an Indian inspired dish since I recently took an Indian cooking class and am still experimenting with those flavors. However, I out grew the frying pan and ended up dumping everything into a large 3 gallon soup pot and so I stirred everything together it it became a casserole. Still tastes good and the kids think it's good enough to make again. HA, that's not happening. Mommy Concoctions are a one time meal never to be repeated twice.

This is how my aunt and my dh cooks and I'm all what do mean you can't make it again. It drives me crazy. I do envy how creative folks like you are. I could never do it.

Well, I've got you all beat.  This is the busy season for our business, so I had heated up field roast sausages (that is to say, fake sausages) and white bread with fake butter (we don't have a toaster).  The kids had blueberries and those amy's vegetable and black bean burritos (they make me gag, thus the fake sausages).  

We don't do a ton of fancy eating from about Halloween until Christmas.

What's a field roast sausage?

Tonight will be another "skip supper" night at our place.  I'm unexpectedly not working today so we've decided to do "Pho Friday" at the local Korean place for lunch. With a typical sized lunch, I can't eat dinner. 

Yes, we get lazy here.  We have Thursdays and Friday's planned if/when we can do lunch together.  Both are only open for lunch and only Thursday - Saturday since they're at our local Amish Market (Farmer's Market type of place). 

It's so much less expensive when we're empty nesting and incredibly tasty.  I'd say we could chalk it up to getting our flu shots this morning - a treat of sorts - but it isn't.  It's habit.  Sometimes we just make up reasons to go with our habit.

Tomorrow will be lamb chops here at home though, probably with a butternut squash.  Sunday I'll make a batch of goulash using up some of our garden veggies.  I do cook - sometimes.

Tonight kids are having frozen pizza.  Not sure what I will have for dinner.  Nothing really sounds very good.  I am not in the mood to cook today.  DH is flying home and won't be home until late and I have two sick kids so I am doing something easy.  I may just decide to get Chinese take out for all of us though.

• Like 1

Frozen food. We're heading back from vacation and have diddly squat to eat at home. I know there's a cheese pizza, taquitos, and fish sticks in there. Possibly a bag of frozen green beans if I'm lucky. If not, chips and salsa for a side dish.

(I had barbecue from Joe's at a friend's house in KC last night, though.)

I read every reply and there was only one meal my 9yo would eat, depending on what was on it! Chicken, carrots, mashed potatoes. As long as the chicken was plain, the carrots were still raw, and the mashed potatoes were also plain. 

I am envious of all these wonderful sounding dinners, but I never have the energy to make two meals and I don't want DD9 to have mac n cheese every night as an alternate. 

I have no idea what's for dinner tonight. I'm in my phase of "I can't handle the stress of dinner so I ignore the issue until 4 o'clock every day when DH is on his way home and we figure it out and eat crappy simple stuff". I feel on the edge of flipping to my phase of "weekly meal plan and shop ahead of time and know exactly what I'm making when". I like that phase so much better, but it exhausts me and I can never keep it up more than 2-3 weeks. 

• Like 1

I've been wanting to try vegan broccoli cheese soup but have been too chicken to do it even though I've made other things with a creamy sauce. Would you mind sharing your recipe?

Heh, it's complicated?

What I do is take this recipe for Broccoli & Cheeze Soup (the 2011 version of the Oh She Glows recipe) and I substitute her cheese sauce with my own version of a cheeze sauce which is really this nacho cheeze recipe from Simple Daily Recipes minus the nacho bits and combined with parts of this cheeze sauce from Hot for Food. Except in all cases there is no Daiya cheese because I'd rather there be something more than oil in my cheeze. Oh, and I always use tapioca starch because I read somewhere that it helps with texture. 

I have been known to repurpose what I consider "my" cheeze sauce for all kinds of things. If you have a cheeze sauce you already like an are adventurous, I'd start there. The versatility of the potato/carrot/onion/cashew thing is right up there with cashew cream which I have been known to start with and then somehow end up with dinner forty minutes later.

If you wanted more "recipe to follow" and less "the things in my brain that only I know when I'm doing them" then you could just as easily try the 2017 version of the Oh She Glows recipe and it would probably be pretty close

• Like 1

Ground beef tacos, Spanish rice, and black beans. I made it for lunch and had it again for dinner as a salad since the veggies were almost nonexistent at lunch.

My son was mortified about having the same thing for dinner so the punk had ramen noodles. Nobody inntheir right mind chooses instant ramen over taco salad!

Ok, tonight we're actually cooking, though last night because hubby was home we scrambled eggs with green peppers and onions and had a slice of toast apiece - then followed it with popcorn while watching a taped episode of MacGyver, so supper wasn't totally skipped.

Tonight it's lamb loin chops, baked butternut squash, sauteed mushrooms, and the last two pears of the season from our tree.  I, of course, will eat light for lunch.

I read every reply and there was only one meal my 9yo would eat, depending on what was on it! Chicken, carrots, mashed potatoes. As long as the chicken was plain, the carrots were still raw, and the mashed potatoes were also plain. 

I think that was mine!  :)  Plain, baked chicken and plain potatoes, but the carrots were cooked.  

There are just three of us home now and it's pretty easy to plan meals, but when my adult sons are home it's really hard.  They aren't picky eaters, but two are very particular about what they eat (one is vegetarian) and they all eat massive quantities of food and want very balanced meals.  I love having them home, but meal planning becomes very stressful trying to please everyone.  Dd prefers very plain food that is healthy.  

Tonight is grilled Korean chicken, brown rice, and some kind of fruit or vegetable.  Haven't decided yet.  

Edited by Kassia

It suddenly feels like winter here and I want carby comfort food. We’re having lasagna, garlic bread, and salad tonight. Tomorrow I’m planning French onion soup and bread, Monday leftovers, and Tuesday will be mummy hot dogs for Halloween. I’m not sure about the rest of the week.

• Like 1

Tonight I was testing out a simple tomato sauce for a kid's cooking class I'm teaching. So, it was gf penne and a simple tomato sauce w/ fresh parmesan. Two thumbs up on the basic sauce, tasty but simple enough for the kids to make. Who knew there was such a difference between different canned tomatoes, my house was split between the sauce made with Muir Glen whole and Hunt's chopped (the rec'd tomatoes from ATK).