Menu

What's for dinner?

Elizabeth86

My kids are going to eat at church when they go to youth group tonight with their grandmother. I thawed myself a single ribeye to grill while my husband works tonight.

If I can make it 2 more hours through what has been a very trying day, there is steak and an episode of This is Us to watch ALL BY MYSELF...3 hours of me time sounds heavenly.

Edited by CaliforniaDreaming
  • Like 9

You guys are killing me. Dh's 85 year old father is here visiting so I'm cooking things the way he likes them. Which is not the way I like to eat. So I'm salivating at all of the above foods.  Tonight he's giddy because I let him pick the menu. Salisbury steak in gravy made from a mix, noodles (from a bag, not my homemade noodles) and canned peas.    :ack2:

Guys, I've lost two pounds since he got here 9 days ago. I might have found my new weight loss plan. 

• Like 15

I have some tomatoes that need to be used. There's only ds and me tonight because dh is working, so I don't feel like cooking.  I picked up a loaf of crusty Italian bread and fresh mozzarella, and we'll have Caprese salad. If that's not filling enough for ds he can forage in the fridge for leftovers.

I'm not sure yet.  The last two nights I've just rustled up nachos (home alone, so can bachelorette it).  It doesn't seem right to do those again.

I'd love to just pick one of the above options to just show up at.

Or I'd be ok skipping it, but I've skipped lunch already, so shouldn't.  I made breakfast this morning (eggs, veggies, and a pear from our tree) so that should count for the whole day!

Vegan fettuccine. Cauliflower is used to make the sauce. It's actually very good.

I need this recipe!!!

Tonight I'm making cheesy broccoli baked potatoes. I'm using regular cheese for the kiddos and vegan cheese for me. I actually may not even use the vegan cheese and just whiz up some cannelini beans and avocado for a "sauce" for the broccoli.

I ended up going to the kitchen, seeing a small batch of end of the year tomatoes I needed to freeze, and instead of freezing them I turned them, half of a pepper, a stalk of celery, and some dried basil + salt + garlic powder into stewed tomatoes.  I combined that with 8 saltines with butter spread on them.  It was quite tasty and should be reasonably healthy.

And I cut my chores by not having to cook and still freeze the tomatoes.  Besides, there wasn't even a quart's worth.  It ended up being about the amount of a can of soup.

• Like 3

I need this recipe!!!

Tonight I'm making cheesy broccoli baked potatoes. I'm using regular cheese for the kiddos and vegan cheese for me. I actually may not even use the vegan cheese and just whiz up some cannelini beans and avocado for a "sauce" for the broccoli.

Here ya go: http://ohsheglows.com/2014/01/20/cauli-power-fettuccine-alfredo-vegan/

My son was appalled when he realized it was made with cauliflower but that sure didn't stop him from eating a big plate full.

• Like 1

Nothing tonight. Hubby and I went to our favorite Mexican place for yummy taco salads for lunch. There's no way I can eat again today, so supper for me will be skipped. He will be hungry since he's normal, but he knows it's a fend for himself night. I am not sure what he'll get or fix.

We picked more tomatoes in advance of a predicted frost, so I will mention how tasty my stewed tomatoes were last night... Doubt he will make that kind of effort though.

• Like 1

Indian inspired Mommy Concoction.

Mommy Concoction is a regularly featured menu item where mom picks some random ingredient that she wants to use up and starts adding things to the pan and eventually has a meal.  This menu item usually starts with one idea in mind but by the time the meal is actually finished it has gone through 2 or 3 variations in my head before one gets served.  

Tonight started with thawed steak that I was going to pan fry and make crashed potatoes as a side,  then it became stir fry then it was going to be fried rice and after about getting halfway through cooking I remembered we just had a stir fry on Monday so I changed gear and turned it into an Indian inspired dish since I recently took an Indian cooking class and am still experimenting with those flavors.  However, I out grew the frying pan and ended up dumping everything into a large 3 gallon soup pot and so I stirred everything together it it became a casserole.  Still tastes good and the kids think it's good enough to make again.  HA, that's not happening.  Mommy Concoctions are a one time meal never to be repeated twice.

• Like 3