Menu

What's with the ads?

OKBud

Would you let Amazon remotely unlock your front door?

The UPS guy showed up in his clothes in his own car to let me know that he'd gotten in trouble at work because of me.

Yeah totally normal innocent behavior :ohmy: :glare:

That’s crazycakes!

• Like 1

nope.  ain't happenin'.

I've been on some news sites and the comments on their articles is overwhelmingly "no".

• Like 1

No, we have no issues with packages left being stolen.  Furthermore, it is hard to get into our house because the wooden door has expanded in the humidity.  Plus we currently have a dog here that does not like delivery people. My packages are left mostly in my mailbox and some on our porch and some by garage which is not seen from street. If we were having problems, we would specify garage or back porch which people can't see.

I really have to wonder - was the person who came up with this idea *really* that naive that the thought of how easily this could be abused never even occurred to them?   didn't anyone bring up the issue how how packages are stolen by other drivers?  (re: the fedex/ups/dhl delivered and it was promptly stolen by the next delivery driver.  security cameras have their advantages.

Things get more insane every day. Smart locks? Besides the obvious issues with it, what happens when somehow a few of our fabulous satellites malfunction or who knows what happens and you cannot get into your "smart" locked door anymore. Break in a window?

Short answer: No.

• Like 2

How does it do that?

I've never made electronic withdrawals without a card and pin number.

In the paperwork you file to set up the deposits they disclose that it also allows them to withdraw. Okbud is right, though, they can only withdraw what they have deposited (which can still be super painful).

BUT I have ordered a lot of things from Amazon! Can you imagine if there were an Instapot recall? Haha, UPS could just "recall it" while they are in dropping off your monthly toilet paper order!

• Like 1

There are lots of parcels being stolen off porches. The local police has caught quite a few teens, young adults and middle age adults. The teens and young adults tend to do it for fun and/or are in gangs while the older adults tend to be repeat offenders.

We have Amazon lockers at the Safeway in my neighborhood so neighbors use that or direct parcels to their workplace. My neighbors use Amazon fresh and we are in the two hour zone for Amazon prime but we have a slacker delivery driver that leaves Amazon parcels at the clubhouse instead of at our doors. Many have lodge complaints of missing parcels since all other Amazon delivery drivers leave parcels at our door. Someone took a photo of all the “missing parcels†left in our clubhouse and lodge a complaint so pretty sure Amazon would act on it since that’s easier than sending replacements for all the “missing parcels†due to one delivery person.

For any urgent parcels, we have them sent to my husband’s workplace so there is no need for this Amazon key service even though it’s available in my area. I think I saw the Amazon key system at Amazon bookstore at Santana Row, San Jose but I don’t remember for sure.

I immediately think of how authorizing your employer to electronically deposit your check also, technically, gives them the needed permissions to make withdrawals...

I learned recently that the USA is probably the last remaining country in the world to use paper cheques and was curious why.

This seems to be the answer.  There seems to be a major difference in banking laws from other countries where paper cheques were phased out at the turn of the century.

No-one except myself (or someone I've given my account number, password and cellphone number to receive the authorisation code to) can withdraw money from my bank account.

We recently had in the news a case where an institution made an error and deposited R14 million instead of R 14 thousand into a student's bank account.

The error was theirs and they have to take her to court to get their money back.  They cannot withdraw the payment and even the bank does not have the authority to do so for them without a court order.

• Like 3

Nope.  We don't always lock our doors but still nope.

It's not like you are just giving Amazon access doing this, its the UPS guy, the FedEx guy, the mailman - including those short term hires at the holidays.  Most of my most recent packages have been delivered by random people in UHaul vans  .

• Like 1

Nope, nope, nope.

Package theft is rare in my area, and I'm usually home, anyway.

Maaaaaaybe for a vestibule situation, but even then I'd be concerned over the exact legal wording of the agreement - is there any conceivable way a court could rule that it allows them into the house, proper, not just the vestibule? Anyway, most things I order aren't very valuable. I'm not going to agree and pay to allow someone in my house so my $10 paperback doesn't get stolen off my porch, which has never happened in the five years I've lived at this house.

I've read a couple of articles about how Amazon operates. It sounds like teams are supposed to come up with lots of "good" ideas on a very competitive basis. I can sort of see how that could occasionally lead to teams running away with dimwit ideas and not totally thinking through the consequences and/or what the consumer actually wants.

I used to love Amazon (well, kinda still do, really), because WOOOO Cheap Books and Diapers! But more and more I find myself scratching my head over their practices and decisions.

I have a cat who we'd likely never see again after the first Amazon delivery. She tends to slip out between people's feet if you're not watching for her.

I don't think I have a problem with it (package theft seems to be a problem in my neighborhood). However, I'm home most of the time, so the service would be of little benefit.

• Like 1

When I was in college and graduate school, I used to think that a mandatory Bible as Literature class was needed, at least for English majors, for cultural literacy and literary references. 

Now, I just think high schools need to have a mandatory movie watching class, to prevent all these scenarios where I look at scientists and business owners and say, "Have none of you ever even SEEN a movie???"

• Like 3