Menu

When to switch from AAS to Rod and Staff spelling

busymama7

I am using AAS with 2 younger children and 2 olders are using rod and staff. I really like both and also realize that my time is limited so want to switch the 2 younger ones over before I start AAR with my next one down.

Anyone have an opinion on where that will make most sense? The 2 using AAS also use AAR and will go all the ways through level 4. They are currently in level 2 of AAS and levels 2(almost done) and 4 (just started) of AAR. They do spelling together as the older one is dyslexic. He is doing fantastic though and I think I could see him using R&S as soon as next year which would be 5th grade. Not sure if he could handle that level of R&S though. Pretty sure he wouldn't be ready for that actually.

Edited by busymama7

When they are nine years old and will do the fourth grade Spelling by Sound and Structure. The first two years are just a review of phonics with some spelling rules mixed in. It's a whole new world in fourth grade. And SSS's strength is not the word lists; it's the activities. Those are awesome. So even a child who doesn't get all the spelling words right is still learning a great deal if he is doing all of the exercises.

• Like 2

When they are nine years old and will do the fourth grade Spelling by Sound and Structure. The first two years are just a review of phonics with some spelling rules mixed in. It's a whole new world in fourth grade. And SSS's strength is not the word lists; it's the activities. Those are awesome. So even a child who doesn't get all the spelling words right is still learning a great deal if he is doing all of the exercises.

Perfect info. Thank you so much!!

The problem with continuing to use AAS is just that both of us are feeling burned out with it. He's tired of the tiles and I can tell he's ready to move on. he has a very strong foundation and is doing so well. I just can't see us getting through all 7 levels. And I really like the exercises in R&S. They have so much value. I know I will switch at some point. Just needing to decide when.

You don't have to drop AAS just because of the tiles. I know a lot of people (me included) drop the tiles early on and write on a whiteboard instead. 

I eventually dropped AAS anyway just because it is teacher intensive. I switched Ds over to R&S at grade 4. (He had made it about halfway through level 4 of AAS). I switched Dd over at grade 3 (Completed half of AAS level 3). Not for any reasons related to the curriculum, but because that was the point when I needed my time back. 

I stuck with the books that matched their grade level. Most of it is words they already know, but there's a few new ones sprinkled in.

You don't have to drop AAS just because of the tiles. I know a lot of people (me included) drop the tiles early on and write on a whiteboard instead.

I eventually dropped AAS anyway just because it is teacher intensive. I switched Ds over to R&S at grade 4. (He had made it about halfway through level 4 of AAS). I switched Dd over at grade 3 (Completed half of AAS level 3). Not for any reasons related to the curriculum, but because that was the point when I needed my time back.

I stuck with the books that matched their grade level. Most of it is words they already know, but there's a few new ones sprinkled in.

Thank you. Yes we don't use the tiles for all new words anymore but it is still teacher intensive and I really want them to use R&S at some point anyways just because of the exercises. I've only used levels 5-8 so I may have him switch next year in 5th but he's not really at grade level so maybe I will have him do the 4th level next year. Decisions! For my younger daughter I'm debating. She may do intentional copywork for 3rd and then start in 4th.

Thanks everyone!

We went through AAS level 3 before switching to Rod and Staff 4- this was with a natural speller who didn't need the one on one teaching.  

For my beginning speller and struggling speller we have stuck with AAS as they both need the more and holding, parent intensive approach.  I add in things here to help with retention and use beyond the lessons.  We also do not use the tiles at all.  I typically allow them to choose how to write the words and since they prefer writing, I made worksheets to go along with the steps.  I also have them color code the words, use them in sentences of their own, etc to help them remember the words.  Each day we do go through the rules learned that they haven't mastered yet.  It does take time as I also have one using AAR, but I can see their confidence and spelling improved (thinking mainly of my struggling speller.)