Menu

Common app questions

dirty ethel rackham

This is my last year of the Common App, and I am just now digging in.  I have my Counselor letter about 50% done.  Transcript and course descriptions are almost done.  But, as far as actually getting into the Common App, I have been sticking my head in the sand.  Seeing that I have 9 days to finish my part, I'd best get started.  I am sure I will have about 100 more questions since I haven't done this in 4 years and things have changed.  

Okay, so here is one of my questions.  Dd attends public high school part-time.  So, in theory, she has a wide range of AP classes available to her.  But that is at that school, not my homeschool.  What do I put down at the number of AP classes and honors classes offered?  Can I simply choose not to answer it since it doesn't have a star after it?  Or would that look bad?  I actually don't know how many AP classes our local high school offers.  They have way more than most kids can realistically take in 4 years.  Many kids double up to take more AP classes.  Dd has not done that.  

Another question ... help me think this through.  I have written the school profile document twice before, so I know in general what should go in there.  But our circumstances are so much different than what they were when my older two were applying to college.  The reasons why are different.  My philosophy is different now than what it was.  I don't want to put in there that I am burnt out on homeschooling and didn't feel like I could do a good job and dd needed more academically minded peers.  So, how do I explain why we are homeschooling when we have gradually ceded most of the academics to the high school?  If dd had her way, she would go back and have gone to high school full time from the beginning (yeah, that makes me feel really great ... not.)  She didn't have many academic peers left.  She had some friends, but they weren't interested in challenging themselves the way dd wanted.  The community for high school homeschoolers in our area was either conservative evangelicals who would likely not have allowed her participation or some really quirky kids (who are great kids, but dd felt like her whole life had been quirky and she just wanted "normal.")  I just didn't have it in me to do all of it.  I was exhausted from dealing with K's mental health issues (yeah, 3 months of sleep in 30 minute increments does that to you ... and when you do sleep, it is terror-filled nightmares.)    Anyway.  Any ideas of how to address our "less than noble" reasons for still being homeschoolers who don't really do much homeschooling?    

• Like 1

"Over the course of her highschool years, we have gradually transitioned to public school enrollment to provide her with an appropriate level of coursework and to give her the opportunity to experience a traditional classroom setting."

Nobody will question this statement; it will make perfect sense to an admissions official. In fact, colleges may find it reassuring :)

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 7

"Over the course of her highschool years, we have gradually transitioned to public school enrollment to provide her with an appropriate level of coursework and to give her the opportunity to experience a traditional classroom setting."

Nobody will question this statement; it will make perfect sense to an admissions official. In fact, colleges may find it reassuring :)

Brilliant.  Thank you.  Much better than my angst-y, judge-y, just plain tired ramblings!