Menu

What exactly is Math for Liberal Arts?

DD thinks she wants to major in Elementary Education and math requirements can be met with Math for Liberal Arts 1 and 2.  I did the Precalculus/Calculus sequence in college so I don't really know what these classes consist of.   Also she struggles with math and has finished TT Algebra 1 and is now working on TT Geometry.  I'm wondering if she really needs to take Algebra 2.   She is a junior this year so only 1 year of math left and I was wondering if we should find a liberal arts math for next year instead if it would be easier.  She will also need to pass entrance exam to junior college.  Any insights?

One of my local community colleges has these two courses: Math for the liberal arts and Math for elementary school teachers. Full details including textbooks used are the syllabus links. I also link a study guide link I found.

“MATH 44 MATH FOR THE LIBERAL ARTS

Course Objectives -

The student will be able to:

Use Polya's problem-solving method.

Practice sound logical reasoning and identify common errors in logic.

Express quantitative ideas in accurate mathematical language and notation.

Investigate problems analytically, numerically, graphically, and verbally.

Identify salient quantitative features of particular phenomena.

Select appropriate mathematical functions to model particular phenomena.

Construct mathematical models appropriate to given problems.

Justify the selection and construction of a particular mathematical model.

Use mathematical models accurately.

Interpret the output of a mathematical model in qualitative context.

Justify the reasonableness of a mathematical outcome in qualitative context.â€

Syllabus https://foothill.edu/schedule/outlinesPRINT.html?act=1&rec_id=2225

“MATH 42 MATH FOR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL TEACHERS

Course Objectives -

The student will be able to:

Perform calculations with place value systems; evaluate the equivalence of numeric algorithms and explain the advantages and disadvantages of equivalent algorithms in different circumstances;

Apply algorithms from number theory to determine divisibility in a variety of settings; analyze least common multiples and greatest common divisors and their role in standard algorithms;

Explain the concept of rational numbers, using both ratio and decimal representations; analyze the arithmetic algorithms for these two representations; and justify their equivalence;

Analyze the structure and properties of whole, rational, and real number systems; define the concept of rational and irrational numbers, including their decimal representation; and illustrate the use of a number line representation; and

Develop activities implementing curriculum standards.â€

Syllabus https://foothill.edu/schedule/outlinesPRINT.html?act=1&rec_id=5694

Study Guides for MGF1106 (Math for Liberal Arts 1) Courtesy: Professors Rappoport & Senfeld, Math Dept., MDC (North Campus) http://www.mdc.edu/main/images/Study_Guides_for_MGF1106_tcm6-53539.pdf

ETA:

I often see the textbooks at Half Price Bookstore and university libraries.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

Is she absolutely positive where she will be going to college? At many universities elementary education majors still need to pass an algebra class, and even if not, the math for liberal arts will often contain some algebra. She will also need the algebra for the entrance exam -- if she does poorly on it, she may place into remedial algebra classes. I would recommend strongly against skipping algebra next year. If she were looking at skipping precalculus it would be a different story. 

• Like 1

Is she absolutely positive where she will be going to college? At many universities elementary education majors still need to pass an algebra class, and even if not, the math for liberal arts will often contain some algebra. She will also need the algebra for the entrance exam -- if she does poorly on it, she may place into remedial algebra classes. I would recommend strongly against skipping algebra next year. If she were looking at skipping precalculus it would be a different story. 

Yes, we are sure she will be going to our local college.  Maybe we will work on PERT review for the summer and see what kind of score she can get on entrance exam and go from there.  Thanks!

Edited by susanah4

DD thinks she wants to major in Elementary Education and math requirements can be met with Math for Liberal Arts 1 and 2.  I did the Precalculus/Calculus sequence in college so I don't really know what these classes consist of.   Also she struggles with math and has finished TT Algebra 1 and is now working on TT Geometry.  I'm wondering if she really needs to take Algebra 2.   She is a junior this year so only 1 year of math left and I was wondering if we should find a liberal arts math for next year instead if it would be easier.  She will also need to pass entrance exam to junior college.  Any insights?

Agreeing with Kiana and MarkT. Take the Algebra 2, because your DD may very well still need a College Algebra as one of the degree requirements. (Side Note: One option at that time might be to study with a tutor at her own pace, and then when ready, take the CLEP test for Algebra 1, so she doesn't have to try and rush through at a pace that is too fast for her.)

Without taking the Algebra 2, she may have a hard time passing the college's placement assessment to get into the Math for Liberal Arts -- which would mean taking 1 or more pre-requisite math classes before even getting to whatever the required math class is for the degree (and Math is usually one of the requirements for either an Associate's or a Bachelor's degree). I would go with the Algebra 2, as it will also make sure she meets the minimum admission requirement for many colleges, in case she changes her mind, or ends up unexpectedly moving and no longer able to go to your local junior college.

If DD finishes Geometry early, you might have her go right on in to Algebra 2 and plug away all summer at it, and into the 12th grade year. She might be able to finish it early, which would be great, but if not, that gives her extra time to complete it.

I had our math struggler (mild LDs in math) DS#2 go through Algebra 2, and yes, like Algebra 1, it took 1.5 years -- so worked all school year and through the entire summer to complete it. But he did complete Algebra 2 and by having done so, he passed the community college's placement assessment high enough to not need remedial math, but was able to directly start the courses in his chosen Associate's degree area. :)

Good luck to your DD and her future plans for Elementary Education! :) Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

I'm a state community college professor. She will have to provide ACT/SAT scores or take a math placement test in order to take college-level math, even the courses you describe. In my system, most students who have been through Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II in some sequence will be able to take college-level math. Without Algebra II, you are looking at developmental, pre-college math before they can take the math for liberal arts majors at the local community college. You need to check on the details for your local situation of course.

Our state has replaced Mathematics for Liberal Arts I and I with Quantitative Mathematics and Statistical Analysis. They also dropped the math requirements for some majors from two math classes to just one at both the community colleges and 4-year state schools.

My youngest is at the community college in liberal arts, and she is taking Quantitative Mathematics which is really everyday math. She's had homework calculating supplies for household renovations, comparing prices in a grocery store, comparing loan terms, and making investment decisions. She doesn't like it, but she's doing well. This is the only math she has to take. She did Pre-Algebra, Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II in high school, and qualified for college math with an ACT score taken in December of her senior year.

• Like 1

Developmental math has also changed a lot over the last couple of decades. It used to be that it was designed for people who had never had the class in their life. It is now better suited for people who already saw the material, but just forgot it. Where this leaves people who genuinely never saw it, goodness only knows -- I assure you it is a personal source of profound irritation.