Menu

Which guide for Henle Latin?

I've made a decision (I think) to continue my son's Latin by using Henle; he has been using Latin Book One ( the free vintage one by Scott and Horn), and is over half way through,

BUT

we are burning out.  The problem?   I need more teacher support.  I have the free answer key for LBO, but I need more.  I need a schedule. Something that tells him exactly what to do each day (or week).  I need open and go, not sit and plan.  I have six children, and limited brain power to devote to Latin planning right now. I am more than happy to facilitate his progress, grade quizzes, check homework,  and say,  "hmm, your subject needs to be in the nominative case,"  but I can't be the one that thinks through every step of every little thing for this class.

My son does have 1/2 credit of Latin done last  year (through Latin Book One), and  I would like to just keep on slow and steady and finish this race to get his two credits of foreign language. He is getting rather mule-like over LBO, though. He feels he has been doing this book forever, with no end in sight. 

We cannot afford to outsource, and most online classes for high school Latin are too hard core for his interest level right now.  He was pumped to learn Latin when he was six, but at sixteen, that love has moved on to other things. ;)  He is able to do well, but is not really motivated for Latin at the moment.  He just wants to get. it. done. I too have let go of my visions of AP Latin that were dancing in my head, and I am ready to let good enough be good enough.

So, which guide(s) will get us two years of  Henle, at a reasonable pace for an average student, without breaking the bank?  Any advice or BTDT perspectives would be great. :)

Memoria Press is a great choice.  If you want quizzes, get the corresponding quizzes and tests booklet that matches the units in Henle that you are wanting to cover this year.  Henle is typically broken down by MP into Units I&II, Units III-V, and Units VI-IV.

Brenda

• Like 2

Thanks to you all--I think the Memoria guides are what we need.  :)

We always did the Form Series, starting young, which take you through Henle I if you complete them, but has enough of its own to be a complete Latin I and II if you go through the whole course of Fourth Form. 

But I recently discovered the MP Henle guides and like them a lot too. I am using them in a co-op class now. I just finished the Henle II guides with one tutoring group, and wish MP had a set for Henle III for them. My odd is using the MP Henle II guide at a quicker pace this year along with some other things. 

The MP guides for Henle I, are broken up a bit differently, so be careful on that. There is one guide for it that is just on units 1-2, divided up for a full year. I have some 6th graders doing it this year. You probably don't need that set since he has had some latin. Then I have some 7th-8th graders doing the guide for units3-5 ( I think that is what that one is.) And it is for a full year too.  Then they will do another guide the following year in 9th grade for Latin I.  Just an FYI if you hadn't noticed the way it is broken up. It took us a bit to figure out how to make them work with our different ages. 

Then MP Henle II guide is all in one year, but doesn't get into a lot of actually reading the Caesar from the front of the book. It mostly takes the kids through only the exercises of their own in the back. It does have some original translation work included in small bits, but it isn't like a full year of Caesar like the book was intended. That is because MP then does a separate Caesar course using another textbook aimed at study for the AP in their course lineup right now. So they call their Henle II year, "Caesar prep." So, just another FYI on that. I am taking care of that by assigning readings from the Caesar portion of the book on my own alongside their daily plans. 

• Like 1

hmm. The guides I have do not have answers. The answers to all exercises are in the Henle Answer key books. 

ETA. Ok, if you mean the answers to quizzes, yes they are in the back of the test and quiz book. The answers to the daily work are in the Henle Answer Key book. 

Edited by 2_girls_mommy
  • Like 1

hmm. The guides I have do not have answers. The answers to all exercises are in the Henle Answer key books.

ETA. Ok, if you mean the answers to quizzes, yes they are in the back of the test and quiz book. The answers to the daily work are in the Henle Answer Key book.

that's odd, mine has the answers to quizzes as well as exercises.

• Like 1

that's odd, mine has the answers to quizzes as well as exercises.

Well, I just learned today there is another set of guides from the ones I am using. These are all new to me! There are some MP guides available on Rainbow Resource that are different from the ones I am using that are on the MP website. And the chapters are lined up differently, so possibly those are the ones with the answers in the back. The ones I have from the MP website do now have them. (I am using the Purple Teaching Guide for unit III-IV with one class this year.) The ones I am not using are the tan ones. So maybe those are the ones that do. 

What I am learning is that MP has a lot of different ways to get through Henle, many more than I was aware of! 

• Like 2