Menu

25 yo man interested in 15 year old girl.

Scarlett

The usual "rule" is half the older age, plus seven. Let's see... 24/2 = 12. 12 + 7 = 19. THE AGE DIFFERENCE IS WAY TOO LARGE! OMG. (Also, getting physical is probably illegal in the US, though age of consent laws vary.)

I'm 40. My wife is 27. We have been together 8 years. By your formula, we shouldn't be together.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Eh. You said you considered him stable and a good example until now. I'm not as horrified as the rest of you. Sorry. :)

It is ok, I'm not either. My parents married at 17 and 21 and have been married 53 years. People keep saying it is not ok in todays culture. To be honest I think the way the world runs today is a bit effed up honestly. I prefer the way things used to be.

• Like 3

The girl's age is much more of a concern to me than the age gap. I would say even 19 is too young, depending on the person. I had my son at 19 and grew up VERY quickly. However, I knew I was not ready for marriage, even with having a child. I had no business even being intimate with my circumstances.

I would be putting the breaks on everything immediately.

I'm 40. My wife is 27. We have been together 8 years. We started dating when she was 19....she is the child of two alcoholics and has been on her own since the age of 16. She worked darn near full time AND finished high school, driving over an hour to/from school while also playing on her school's soccer team.

Yes, the age difference has created some interesting opportunities to practice compromise and understanding, but we have made it work and have no regrets.

I would not be comfortable with my children getting into a serious relationship with someone substantially older until AT LEAST 19....even then, it would depend on each of them as people (not that mom gets a say at that point!)

• Like 1

There's also the question of what happens if you ban the relationship.  Someone I know was going out with a 30yo when she was 16.  Her parents did not ban the relationship because the girl was very stubborn and they feared that she would leave home/school if they did.  The age gap does not make the relationship illegal in the UK unless the older person is someone like a teacher who is in a position of responsibility. 

They put limits in place to ensure that she had enough time to study, she went off to a good university, came back at Christmas and dumped the guy.  She is now happily married to someone she met at university.

• Like 2

I knew several "mature" girls this age who dated older guys. Mostly they were guys they met at work.

In every case the girls outgrew the guys. The guys would seem more mature compared to 15--year-old boys; and would have a car and more money than a 15-year-old boy.

They would have their own place, not have parents involved like a 15-year-old.

It would seem very desirable to them!

But these girls at 19 were so far beyond these guys. The other guys grew up. Having a car and some money didn't seem as big of a deal.

Because ultimately -- for the girls I knew, the older guys interested in them were not desirable to women their own age, and that was a reason they were looking for younger women.

I do think they did involve talking and had decent relationships in a lot of ways, but the girls just outmatured the boys and that was it.

I have always wondered to if any of them lost respect for the guys just based on getting a little older and seeing how they would think of someone dating a 15-year-old.

Edit: I am from Oklahoma and I don't find it a big taboo; I find it more pathetic and unlikely to last. And also I have seen the same guy cycle through a few 15-year-old girls, and they outgrow him after 2 years, but he is still getting along great with the 15-year-old age range.

And really -- the car, the income, the apartment ------ to a 15-year-old this would be huge, when I was 15. It would seem awesome, and so much better than mid-high boys. But by age 17 even and moving up to senior high, this would just not be impressive anymore, and senior high boys would be more mature too.

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 4

It is ok, I'm not either. My parents married at 17 and 21 and have been married 53 years. People keep saying it is not ok in todays culture. To be honest I think the way the world runs today is a bit effed up honestly. I prefer the way things used to be.

See, I don't at all, in any way, wish to repeat the practices and mindset of the good ol' days when it comes to attitudes towards females and notions of what females are useful for and what they should do. My parents did not see any purpose in a girl going to college because then, she would just get involved in some career outside the home and would not be home to raise her kids or -GASP! - maybe she would really have no need for a husband in her mind and would have no family at all! They weren't worried about girls who struggled with advanced math because what was that for anyway, except trying to have a career and replace the purpose of a man heading the family?

I do think some things about how the world works are still effed up, but delaying marriage or females growing up and being self-sufficient before marriage (if they marry at all), or grown women consciously choosing a mate rather than just replacing their father with another man are not in that category.

• Like 12

I knew several "mature" girls this age who dated older guys. Mostly they were guys they met at work.

In every case the girls outgrew the guys. The guys would seem more mature compared to 15--year-old boys; and would have a car and more money than a 15-year-old boy.

They would have their own place, not have parents involved like a 15-year-old.

It would seem very desirable to them!

But these girls at 19 were so far beyond these guys. The other guys grew up. Having a car and some money didn't seem as big of a deal.

Because ultimately -- for the girls I knew, the older guys interested in them were not desirable to women their own age, and that was a reason they were looking for younger women.

First point: yes; and this cannot happen if she gets married when she turns 16. She has no opportunity to "come to her senses" and see it as a mature woman will. This is why parents should point this out, not act like everything is hunky-dory.

Second point: exactly.

And in general, yes to things like money, car, house seeming like a big prize when you are young, but it isn't a big deal anymore if the girl gets to grow up, get her own car and home and career. Then she can make a better decision without dollar signs in her head.

• Like 3

I think the money, car, apartment would represent freedom and independence. And then yeah -- a couple of years go by and the girl sees how she will get that on her own, not through dating (for example) her manager at Taco Bell.

Edit -- can't believe I forgot this, but part of it too was the guys could purchase alcohol so casually it was no big deal, so they would seem so much more mature than younger guys scheming for alcohol. They would both not really care about it but also be able to buy alcohol if they wanted.

But definitely it was something where there would be kids who thought that was cool, and maybe sometimes ask the girls for the boyfriend to buy alcohol. That seemed like a smaller part of it, but it was part of the older guys seeming more cool.

Edited by Lecka

There's also the question of what happens if you ban the relationship. Someone I know was going out with a 30yo when she was 16. Her parents did not ban the relationship because the girl was very stubborn and they feared that she would leave home/school if they did. The age gap does not make the relationship illegal in the UK unless the older person is someone like a teacher who is in a position of responsibility.

They put limits in place to ensure that she had enough time to study, she went off to a good university, came back at Christmas and dumped the guy. She is now happily married to someone she met at university.

This is a plan I think best - that one semester of college can make a HUGE difference!

I have noticed a trend in a segment of conservative folks in which the young men (so not an age gap) determine to become engaged before a girl goes to college. IMObservation, it seems to be based on a fear that the girl is going to find someone else at school if he doesn't get her locked in. Seems much more reasonable to me to not become engaged until at least Christmas after that first semester. If it's a perfect match, it will endure.

Also personally I don't lump a 4-year age difference in with a 10-year age difference for a 15-year-old. I think they are two different things! I mean with a 4-year difference they could be at basically the same stage of life, and that just isn't the case with an extra 6 years (at that young age).

Edited by Lecka
  • Like 1

When we were living in Brooklyn, we went to a Muslim picnic and there were a bunch of Yemeni high school girls there.  Two that I met had gotten married at 16 (the grooms were 16-17 too).  That's very normal for their culture....but it was so weird for me.  The couple would move in with one of the families, continue schooling, etc.  I've worked a bit on child marriage, and it always surprises people to learn that while it may be illegal in many countries, it is not in the US.  It's still a big problem.  Kudos to India for basically just passing a law that says a child bride cannot consent to sex...and yes, this would include a 16 year old.  Child marriage includes a massive increase in risk for domestic violence.  

If I was the parent, I would want guarantees on her finishing high school and college, including a long acting form of birth control such as the implant until that time.  Pill has too much user error.

Even then, I'd find it weird.  Really weird and disturbing.   Honestly, if it was my daughter, we'd consider moving far far away if we couldn't get the creep to leave her alone.  If it was my  son, I would say....."you go away until she is at least 18, preferably older."  Period.

Yeah, I know Elvis was 25 and Priscilla was 14....but still weird.

• Like 3

I have 2 acquaintances that were in similar situations.  One were church friends.  They married right after high school graduation--she was 18, and he was 28.  They've been married for 27 years now (how am I that old??).

Another one got married at 19 and 29.  They did not start dating until she was 18, though.  She never intended to go to college, and she didn't.  The crazy part of their story is that they lived 5 hours apart when they met.  She moved 3 months later to the town where he lived, and they dated for a year while she lived with roommates.  So a fairly fast dating relationship, far from her parents' eyes.  They've been married for over 20 years, though, and they are very happy.

I actually think the way it used to be done is effed up. Just because people remain in marriage doesn't mean it was good or healthy or not abusive. My parents married at eighteen and were married for fifty three years, and it was bad, very bad. Because my mom married so young and was not allowed to build skills that would allow her to take care of herself and later her children, she was trapped.

I am sick of it being considered a good thing to marry girls off without job skills and education so that they are at the mercy of bad men. Everyone looks at history so wistfully, and yet so much of it is actually rather disturbing and not beneficial.

• Like 23

My first instinct was to say "ew, no" until I read Greta's post. I too have a friend from a similar situation. She was 15, he was 22 AND he was her supervisor at work. She says they didn't have sex until she was 17, everyone told them it wouldn't last, only the parents on both sides weren't against it. They got married when she turned 18. It sounds similar, Scarlett. 

My friend is now 46, he's 53, they have a 17 year old daughter and are still happy together. 

So, I guess I have to say it's situational and depends on the couple. I also think there should be no sex until at least the age of consent, 18 would be better.

• Like 2

I actually think the way it used to be done is effed up. Just because people remain in marriage doesn't mean it was good or healthy or not abusive. My parents married at eighteen and were married for fifty three years, and it was bad, very bad. Because my mom married so young and was not allowed to build skills that would allow her to take care of herself and later her children, she was trapped.

I am sick of it being considered a good thing to marry girls off without job skills and education so that they are at the mercy of bad men. Everyone looks at history so wistfully, and yet so much of it is actually rather disturbing and not beneficial.

Faith, sometimes I think you and I share one brain.

• Like 1

To me this speaks to the family culture where she's been taught that the only thing she says good for is marriage. There's nothing wrong with being a wife and mother, (I am!) but it certainly wasn't my goal in life at fifteen. She is a child still. I remember all the stupid decisions I made at that age.

It is not what they have taught her. She is an only child late life baby. I know her parents well and they have encouraged her in many ways to do a lot of things besides marry young. She has always wanted to get married and have babies. Always. I figured she would marry young bcause she wanted...but I have heard her dad say he wouldn't sign for her so young to me would be 18. And I never dreamed they would allow a relationship with a 25 year old man when she is 15.

• Like 1

Ok so a quick search and it seems that if you are chaperoned, and are with a person of the opposite sex that you Are hoping to form a permanent relationship then it is courtship, though there seems to be a differing views on physical contact. Some saying no physical contact and others saying contact is fine as long as there is no sex.

Whereas dating is more for personal pleasure and may or may not lead to a permanent relationship.

I think some people hear the word courting and think of the most strict definition.

Sorry about the random capital letters. My iPad is so not helpful sometimes.

We expect fully chaperoned....but for instance meeting at a restaurant and eating alone is chaperone. I have never heard anyone call it courtship. And the purpose is to see if they are a good match. not determined by the parents.

True; an adult can choose a courtship model for him or herself. I guess I was thinking of that specifically because of this particular thread. If the parents are fine with it and seem to be encouraging it, it seems probable to me that they are operating from a courtship model.

But they aren't. We don't do things that way. At all.

If it was 17 and 25 I would feel much differently. There is a huge difference between 15 and 17.

But, why?? She canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t go to college, she canĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t work. What does she do?? I really dislike these parents!!

Why can't she go to college? Most schools have no age limits so long as you live off campus, especially not if you have a high school diploma. And, honestly, when you graduate that early, it makes sense to go to college and graduate with at least an AA before trying to enter the workforce, because you are so limited in what you can do.

I don't quite understand encouraging a bright kid to graduate early if college isn't in the plans. I can kind of see a girl going to college early and meeting an older male and striking up conversations, that then lead to interest (and have been DRUMMING it into DD's head that she simply cannot date anyone on campus at this point-she is just plain too young, and it's not safe for anyone involved-especially the man!) without him realizing that she's that much younger than he is. I can't see a guy knowing that a girl is 10 years younger than he is and a legal minor and even taking steps towards a relationship in contemporary US culture.

• Like 5

I was in this situation at 13. There was much sneaking around. But it really wasn't serious. 

My parents reacted the way most people here are. It came to physical violence. That was horrible and scarring. 

Honestly, I think would have been better to let it run it's course. By the time my parents found out, he was already leaving me. There was nothing to gain by turning it into something huge and terrible and damaging. 

If this comes about for my Tori, I am sure that we will handle it the way this family is. Especially if she is mature for her age and finished with school.

I am not opposed to early marriage. If I had it to do over, I would have married at 19 to a 32yo man who had a a lot to offer and was marriage minded. We were exceptionally well matched. We did not pursue the relationship solely because of my age. In retrospect, that was a stupid reason. 

I'm sure this is a super unpopular opinion, but having lived it, I think I have the maybe slightly more insight than others who are quick to condemn. 

Edit: In my situation, I had just turned 13 when we got together. He expressed interest when I was still 12. He was 23/24. We were together almost a year. 

Edited by desertstrawberry5

you guys know I'm the 'ban guns gal' but if ever there was a situation screaming for "chase him off with a shotgun" this is it. 

And who cares what was normal historically? Historically we burned witches, considered unmarried 25 yo women spinsters, and sent little children to work in mines. So what. 

This is borderline abuse of this young woman, cutting short all her opportunities and choices and potentially completely trapping her. If the family/church has the money, I'd send this girl away to volunteer somewhere abroad for 3-6 months, then insist she go to college for at least an associates, or get some training/certificate/diploma which is linked to work opportunities.

• Like 11

I've been away so I did not have a chance to read the other replies.

Not sure what "interested in" means.  If he is interested in touching her, hell no.  It's illegal and he could get on the sex offender registry.  She's below the age of consent and I agree with the law that she is too young to be getting into that with an adult.

Other than that, I really don't know.  I'm not sure it's terrible to be attracted to someone younger, as long as you're decent enough to wait until she is old enough to know her own mind (AND legally consent).  I feel that a decent person would at least wait until she is 18.  But legally, he may be within his rights to try before that (depending on state law).

I was in this situation at 13. There was much sneaking around. But it really wasn't serious.

My parents reacted the way most people here are. It came to physical violence. That was horrible and scarring.

Honestly, I think would have been better to let it run it's course. By the time my parents found out, he was already leaving me. There was nothing to gain by turning it into something huge and terrible and damaging.

If this comes about for my Tori, I am sure that we will handle it the way this family is. Especially if she is mature for her age and finished with school.

I am not opposed to early marriage. If I had it to do over, I would have married at 19 to a 32yo man who had a a lot to offer and was marriage minded. We were exceptionally well matched. We did not pursue the relationship solely because of my age. In retrospect, that was a stupid reason.

I'm sure this is a super unpopular opinion, but having lived it, I think I have the maybe slightly more insight than others who are quick to condemn.

Wait. 19 is an adult. 15 is not a legal adult and still very much a child even if she looks all grown up and has finished high school and can care for babies.

I am not against young marriages. I am against child marriages.

• Like 3

I've been away so I did not have a chance to read the other replies.

Not sure what "interested in" means. If he is interested in touching her, hell no. It's illegal and he could get on the sex offender registry. She's below the age of consent and I agree with the law that she is too young to be getting into that with an adult.

Other than that, I really don't know. I'm not sure it's terrible to be attracted to someone younger, as long as you're decent enough to wait until she is old enough to know her own mind (AND legally consent). I feel that a decent person would at least wait until she is 18. But legally, he may be within his rights to try before that (depending on state law).

They aren't alone together. But yes he is clearly romantically interested in her and her him.

She works some and is heavily involved in volunteer work. A few months back the story was she was gong to take a course in medical,billing or some such. Now I figure she is waiting to turn 16 and get married.

I wonder if already graduating high school is contributing some here. She's been hanging out with people significantly older than her and craves to be treated as older than her chronological age.

• Like 3

I am not at all favorable to that age gap at those ages, for all the reasons others have stated.

However, even if I were convinced that they were a good match, and the young man met every standard I could imagine for a potential husband for my daughter, I would still not support this situation.

This girl needs to grow up, uninfluenced by a plan to marry this man. She needs to complete her education in a way that will allow her to support herself and any potential children on her own, because we never know what our futures hold.

I'd say her parents demonstrated profound judgement problems for the first time when they let her finish high school in one year. Who the heck can gain enough foundational knowledge and experience for their lives that fast? How much math has she covered, how much literature, how much science? And even if she is profoundly gifted, and *has* covered all the usual material, she needs to be growing up, continuing her education, gaining experience and skills and independence. If this young man cares for her he can give her time to do all that.

• Like 4

you guys know I'm the 'ban guns gal' but if ever there was a situation screaming for "chase him off with a shotgun" this is it.

And who cares what was normal historically? Historically we burned witches, considered unmarried 25 yo women spinsters, and sent little children to work in mines. So what.

This is borderline abuse of this young woman, cutting short all her opportunities and choices and potentially completely trapping her. If the family/church has the money, I'd send this girl away to volunteer somewhere abroad for 3-6 months, then insist she go to college for at least an associates, or get some training/certificate/diploma which is linked to work opportunities.

Exactly.

• Like 1

If they aren't alone together, they aren't dating and the parents aren't wrong. They can be interested in each other, and spend time together in the company of her parents and not be in a dating relationship.

If they are romantically interested in each other and spending time together ehat would you call that?

Finishing high school in a year and graduating early is not that uncommon. I'm not sure why so many people are reacting so poorly to that. Colleges, vocational schools, and employers will accept a young graduate.

From my perspective, I'm just not sure how the appropriate amount of material can really be learned and fully digested that fast. Say, at least, geometry, algebra 2, precal/trig, calculus or maybe stats... And that's just math. World history, US history, government, econ.

On a less academic track, learning and maturing still takes time.

Certainly some students cover these subjects successfully at a younger age. That's great. My main concern is that formal education and preparation for a career not *stop* at, say, fifteen. If one has completed a real high school education, then they need to move on to the next step, not get married and have babies *at that stage*. They need to have the ability to be self-supporting.

Eta: Not to derail the thread, but I'm curious what a one-year high school experience looks like. What actually gets covered? Or are we talking about gifted students who have done all the usual material, but earlier?

Edited by Innisfree
  • Like 6

From my perspective, I'm just not sure how the appropriate amount of material can really be learned and fully digested that fast. Say, at least, geometry, algebra 2, precal/trig, calculus or maybe stats... And that's just math. World history, US history, government, econ.

On a less academic track, learning and maturing still takes time.

Certainly some students cover these subjects successfully at a younger age. That's great. My main concern is that formal education and preparation for a career not *stop* at, say, fifteen. If one has completed a real high school education, then they need to move on to the next step, not get married and have babies *at that stage*. They need to have the ability to be self-supporting.

Eta: Not to derail the thread, but I'm curious what a one-year high school experience looks like. What actually gets covered? Or are we talking about gifted students who have done all the usual material, but earlier?

Well it is PENN Foster so you can look at their curriculum. From what I hear it is super easy, so for a motivated kid it isn't that difficult to do in a year. Plus she was already working a year ahead before she got to high school...

Well it is PENN Foster so you can look at their curriculum. From what I hear it is super easy, so for a motivated kid it isn't that difficult to do in a year. Plus she was already working a year ahead before she got to high school...

I'll look, certainly. The "super easy" sounds like "not super much accomplished" to my ears. I'm glad she was at least working ahead.

• Like 1

I have 3 dds and this would make me ill.  We would try to avoid him totally.  If this wasn't possible, he would never be near her without me or dh present.  If he tried or said anything remotely inappropriate, there would be hell to pay.  He has NO business becoming involved with a 15 year old.

Totally agree. I always cringe when I hear about a teen girl who " is SO mature." Unless a person is some prodigious savant, which is highly unusual and comes with it's own set of issues, there is no skipping the normal stages of growing up.

Aren't all teens that odd mix of "so mature" and "incredibly immature" in different areas?  DD often astounded me with her maturity in some areas.  In others...  :lol:  

• Like 5

I developed early. That did not make me mature. It just made me a target.

I posted before I saw this. That's exactly what I was saying about the person I know.

I briefly dated a 24 year old when I was barely 18. It didn't take long for me to feel immature and too young to be dating him despite the fact that he was a pretty immature guy, too.

Right. I agree being physically mature and beautiful does not make her grown up in the way one needs to be to choose a mate and be married. Edited by A Red Color
  • Like 1

It was not as common in the past as people think to be that young with a much older guy and when it occurred it was not always a good situation. I think it is very problematic for a male that age to consider a 15 year old someone to be in a relationship with. I dated guys much older at 18 and even married one but looking back I was not good at judgement at 18 and there is a big difference in 15 and 18 maturity wise. Older guys were more interesting to talk to if you are intelligent but as the younger one matures the older one probably will not mature much. Being intelligent does not make you mature or good at that kind of decision making and she does not sound mature.

I have a friend whose ex husband started pursuing her when she was 17. He was her boss. They did wait to have sex. They ended up divorced because of some immature actions on his part. After the divorce he still tried to go after barely legal females in his 40s. He ended up not bother checking the age of an under age female and is serving time for it. I know another male who was in a relationship with a 15 year old but waited to have sex and although they are still together it is not a good situation for her.

A normal guy should not be consider much younger females who were recently children dating partners even if they wait to have sex. There is a huge power differential and the younger one has a lot of growing and maturing to do. This one does not even sound particular mature like if someone had to grow up fast and was taking care of responsibilities already.

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 1

I think that the real issue here is "what can you do about it".  It's unfortunate that the two principals involved are being isolated and shunned by their peers.  I think that can often drive people even closer together.  It would be better if these young people had mentors from the church who reached out to them.  It doesn't have to be an "intervention" type of situation but perhaps an older woman who mentors the younger and helps her to see her options in schooling and encourages her to try new things.  Or an older man who mentors the adult man and helps him to grow up some more.  The goal would be to help them both to truly mature emotionally and to hopefully help the girl to put off marriage until she is older (if she's still even interested in him later). 

Just as an aside, I wonder if the 25 year old is an Aspie?  There is the fact that often Aspies are 3 years or so behind in emotional and social development.  So developmentally this man might be more like a 22 year old or even younger.  He may be attracted to a younger woman because of that and not because of being a creep per se.  And he might not be able to see the issues in dating a minor. 

• Like 9

My entire household would flip the hell oit

Because 15.

Because high school.

Because I said so.

Just. No. Nope. Not happening. Not okay.

The acceptable and gentlemanly thing to do is let her be for now and if luck is on his side, in 3-5 years maybe initiate a date and see where things go.

A guy who cares about her, and has any sense or maturity at all, would recognize that she does not share his life experience yet and should be given a chance to do so.

Two teens who fall in love is somewhat different to me bc they are on the same playing field of that makes any sense. And even then, any talk of marriage would be after high school and possibly college.

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢m curious to know what family dynamic has been developed to make this seem acceptable to the parties involved.

• Like 7

I think that the real issue here is "what can you do about it". It's unfortunate that the two principals involved are being isolated and shunned by their peers. I think that can often drive people even closer together. It would be better if these young people had mentors from the church who reached out to them. It doesn't have to be an "intervention" type of situation but perhaps an older woman who mentors the younger and helps her to see her options in schooling and encourages her to try new things. Or an older man who mentors the adult man and helps him to grow up some more. The goal would be to help them both to truly mature emotionally and to hopefully help the girl to put off marriage until she is older (if she's still even interested in him later).

Just as an aside, I wonder if the 25 year old is an Aspie? There is the fact that often Aspies are 3 years or so behind in emotional and social development. So developmentally this man might be more like a 22 year old or even younger. He may be attracted to a younger woman because of that and not because of being a creep per se. And he might not be able to see the issues in dating a minor.

I don't think he is an Aspie. I Think he is immature in the same way she is, but they both appear mature to a lot of people bcause they have checked all the boxes off of what to do next earlier than most people.

None of their friends want to be responsible for chaperoning them.....because one they disapprove since she is a child and two they don't admit they are actually dating. So the big group of kids stopped inviting them to things....and at the same time the two sets of parents are always doing things with them so I doubt they even notice their friends at all.

I think with the parents obviously condoning it in actions if not words that there is nothing to be done. And I do think it is mostly none of my business...I just wanted an outside perspective to see if my viewpoint was off or not.

I am with Hornblower. The fact that he is interested in a 15yo sets off all of the warning bells and in all likelihood, we'd be starting family therapy and relocating cross-country.

If I were to try to look at this through a different lens, if he truly respected her, he would wait....and be encouraging her to continue her education while he solidified his finances. Waiting 3 more years to start a relationship shows self-control and maturity.

• Like 3

If they are romantically interested in each other and spending time together ehat would you call that?

IĂ¢â‚¬â„¢d call that relationship encouragement. And yes, that would still be dating to many people. ItĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s not like someone isnĂ¢â‚¬â„¢t dating just because someone else is around. ThatĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s a bizarre concept to me.

• Like 2

I don't want to reveal too much personal info here, but my own parents were very much of the thinking that the job of girls is to get married and raise a family. When I was extremely young, they permitted a guy who was much older than me to "be my boyfriend." I have often thought about that. I don't know why they didn't think it was seriously alarming that this guy was interested in "being my boyfriend."

i have a serious beef with raising girls with only the tools and focus to be good wives and mothers, although it is certainly great to be a wife and mother.

We want both daughters and sons grow up to be mommies and daddies.  we also expect daughters and sons to get a marketable  education.

I have a problem with parents who send their daughters to college primarily for a mrs. degree.

I'm 40. My wife is 27. We have been together 8 years. By your formula, we shouldn't be together.

same here.  I wouldn't be with my husband with that formula.

Yeah, I know Elvis was 25 and Priscilla was 14....but still weird.

they also ended up divorced, even if he did wait until she was of age to marry her.  what were her parents thinking . . .

It took my parents a good five years or so, but they finally admitted to me that I knew better and made a fantastic decision in marrying my older husband. His parents also finally said as much a few years ago. I know it was difficult for both sets to be supportive for different reasons, and from the outside I think they thought we were desperate, crazy, or both. None of that was the case, of course, but I can see that side of it and respect the concerns.

This is why legal adulthood exists though - itĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s that somewhat arbitrary but still clean barrier that makes a situation like this more clear cut. No until she has matured and is recognized as an independent adult.

same here.  My mom admitted I made a good choice.  (which probably didn't mean much coming from my mom considering how many bad choices she made.)

you left out the shovel.

dh's favorite line from clueless:  I have a 45 and a shovel. you won't be missed.

I would also get her involved in more educational opportunities - and then after hours volunteer/classes/etc. so they have little time together because she is busy.

• Like 4