Menu

Any guesses on how DD got this exam score?

Pegasus

So, a couple weeks back, DD sent me some high-energy texts about being blown away by the university exam she just took.  She said that some of the problems did not resemble anything they had covered in class, the textbook, or the homework  She left two problems completely blank.

The instructor discussed some of the exam problems during the next class and the students were blunt about being unhappy with the exam content.  When the grades were finally posted online, DD refused to even look for several days.  She finally looked yesterday and texted that she was even more confused.  Her score was posted as 108.

The class distribution showed the lowest score as 12 and the highest as 120.

They do not get the actual exam back so she has NO idea how he scored it.  I'm confused myself.  Even if he curved the grades, Wouldn't the highest score be capped at 100?

I suggested she ask but she said no way.  Ha!  

So, does the hive have any ideas?  Even if the instructor wanted to adjust the raw scores to make an extremely tough exam "fair", how would you have someone's score at 120 and still have someone at 12?!?

• Like 1

Professor eliminated some questions that most got wrong, but gave extra credit to those who answered them?

That would be my guess. What is it with professors who never release test questions? My girls' Spanish instructor does this. And the final is cumulative so it would be really helpful to know why some questions were wrong.

• Like 1

It is not unusual for students to ask to see their exam in the instructor's office.  But you have to ask right away because sometimes the exams are destroyed (I don't understand this as I would think they would want to keep the exams in case there is a grade dispute).

are we sure these are percentages and not raw scores (out of 150 or something like that?) 

This was my question, too!  If what is posted is a reflection of points out of a larger total, DD says it doesn't indicate the total number of possible points.

• Like 1

that's just plain weird then. She really should go in to office hours and ask to go over the exam.  I hope you can convince her - if nothing else to satisfy our curiosity LOL.

But getting specific feedback about previous exam questions is one of the best ways to study for an upcoming exam. 

Also, I think if the questions were on material that was not covered, and material that was not listed in the syllabus, the students who did poorly might be in a position to appeal the grade....

• Like 1