Menu

Opinions about treadmills?

Guinevere

I hate them, but it’s not because I think they’re bad. It's because I think they’re boring. And I get too hot. I’d rather run outside in pretty much any conditions than run on the treadmill.

If you like it, then go for it!

Yes!  This is me, too!  It is so boring and I always feel sick if I run on a treadmill - I get hot and lightheaded.  I'd much rather run outdoors in the rain, cold, snow, wind...but not heat because I can't handle that either.  

I can't use them. I think my gait is completely different on them and my lower back/hip are screaming in pain after 10 minutes. My friend has the same issue.

Now, the elliptical? I can do those for a lot longer. 

I have the same issue but with ellipticals, I can't see how a treadmill might cause the same/different issue.

I've heard conflicting things about whether or not treadmills are safe for working out because the muscles aren't working the same as if you were actually walking or running.

Do you use one? Do you find it to be a problem?

Yes, they are safe and you are actually running or walking. The biggest difference is that the speed and incline is completely controlled by you on a treadmill, as opposed to outdoors where nothing is ever completely flat or straight the entire time.  I discovered that running on the treadmill is easier on my body than running outdoors. I can keep my stride very consistent, and there's little fear of stepping on an uneven surface.

I find it quite boring to run on the treadmill, though watching TV certainly helps. Running outside can get pretty boring, too, to be perfectly honest. There's a reason why so many people run with music.  ;)

You can get a membership at the Y for a couple years for the cost of a good treadmill, and you'll have access to a lot more options and a lot more things that will keep you motivated, like classes and friends. I find social is the thing that keeps people coming back and keeps them on the bandwagon. 

Oh, agree on the boredom. I so do not do 45 minutes at one thing. I do intervals, so 5 or 10 on a cardio machine (rowing, stairs, really swanky running machines they have that are zero gravity and better for your knees, etc.) and then weights, then back to cardio, etc. And our Y has tvs, lots of tvs, so I have interesting things to watch.

If I were buying only one thing, I'd buy weights. Cardio you can do for free.

I dont necessarily think treadmills are bad and I have trained for marathons running almost exclusively on treadmills (I was young and running outside seemed intimidating).

However I now have a hip condition called FAI. It is a problem with the hip joint and running on the treadmill seems to make my FAI pain much worse, where running on the roads does not affect it nearly as much.

I kind of miss being able to use the treadmill especially for bad weather days. But at this point I'm grateful to still be able to run.

Yes, they are safe and you are actually running or walking. The biggest difference is that the speed and incline is completely controlled by you on a treadmill, as opposed to outdoors where nothing is ever completely flat or straight the entire time.  I discovered that running on the treadmill is easier on my body than running outdoors. I can keep my stride very consistent, and there's little fear of stepping on an uneven surface.

I find it quite boring to run on the treadmill, though watching TV certainly helps. Running outside can get pretty boring, too, to be perfectly honest. There's a reason why so many people run with music.  ;)

A close friend of mine will only allow herself to watch certain shows or movies if she watches them while running on the treadmill so that motivates her to use it and also keeps her from getting bored.

I broke my foot after twisting my ankle on a rock while running four years ago, so good point about not stepping on an uneven surface!  I would think it's safer on the treadmill vs. running outdoors for many reasons - no dogs (I've been bitten twice), cars, stuff on the road (I frequently run in the dark), ice, etc.  I listen to a radio talk show to keep me entertained, but it's not boring to me even though a treadmill is incredibly boring to me.

• Like 1