Menu

Stephen King's IT

Night Elf

I'm so bored that I'm considering going to see this in the morning. Am I truly that dumb? I wouldn't be able to sleep for weeks I'm sure. I'm already planning on seeing a horror movie in December but my oldest dd is going with me. I don't know if I can handle IT but there isn't anything else playing that looks good.

Has anyone seen it?

It's less gory than modern horror films and more old school jump scares. The scary parts reminded me of The Shining, more creepy than gross. The s*x scene is completely omitted although the girl's father is inappropriate like he is in the book. I watched it to decide if my son could see it and didn't have any issues, and I don't watch (though I do read) horror.

ETA: Common sense media is my go-to source for reviews that detail more "adult" parts without spoilers.

Edited by ErinE
  • Like 4

It's less gory than modern horror films and more old school jump scares. The scary parts reminded me of The Shining, more creepy than gross. The s*x scene is completely omitted although the girl's father is inappropriate like he is in the book. I watched it to decide if my son could see it and didn't have any issues, and I don't watch (though I do read) horror.

ETA: Common sense media is my go-to source for reviews that detail more "adult" parts without spoilers.

Well I am glad to hear they left out THAT scene.

Ugh. I don't know. I wish I had someone to go with me but even my dd refuses to try it. She saw the trailers and decided it was too much. I just want to go see a movie tomorrow morning/afternoon rather than sit home all day waiting for a call from CVS about that job.

• Like 1

Ugh. I don't know. I wish I had someone to go with me but even my dd refuses to try it. She saw the trailers and decided it was too much. I just want to go see a movie tomorrow morning/afternoon rather than sit home all day waiting for a call from CVS about that job.

The CVS people are certainly taking their time about letting you know about the job. :glare:

I went to see 127 Hours by myself really late at night. I still remember being barely able to make it to my car I was so shaken up by the vivid traumatic ending.

If you watch it backwards, it becomes an uplifting story of an amputee who finds an arm in the wilderness. 

Ok, it's late. 

• Like 12

It isn't some viscerally terrifying horror movie.  It features a Stephen King-esque set of oddball buddies, plus their bullies--  you'll probably find it familiar if you've seen Stand By Me. Plus, there is a spooky shape shifting monster that tries to scare each of them.   It contains a bit of gore and some old-school jump scares.  I think most people would get a kick of out it, and not have nightmares afterwards.

See how I said IT a couple times with a double meaning?  Clever huh?

• Like 2

We saw it last night.  My teens who really aren't familiar with Stephen King books/movies were pretty freaked out.  I laughed through most of it. There were 2 jumps that got me.  There were a lot of other people in the theater who sounded pretty freaked too. 

Really, in comparison to some of the other older movies Stephen King movies that I was a junkie reading/watching when I was younger, I really thought IT was mild. 

We saw it last night. My teens who really aren't familiar with Stephen King books/movies were pretty freaked out. I laughed through most of it. There were 2 jumps that got me. There were a lot of other people in the theater who sounded pretty freaked too.

Really, in comparison to some of the other older movies Stephen King movies that I was a junkie reading/watching when I was younger, I really thought IT was mild.

I thought the movie fairly tame, but my son kept talking about how scary the woman was.

Me: What woman?

DS: The woman in the painting.

Me: The Modigliani? Don't tell your father. He loves the artist.

DS: *shudder* She was terrifying.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I watched the movie and I can say that it's scary enough. There are many such moments that keep you in suspense, as well as it is necessary to such horror. And of course there is a difference between the old movie and the new one, but both are good in their own way. I wrote a review about this film, which you can read here https://buyessay.org/blog/it-movie-review/. Having mentioned all of the above, I can say that both films are worth watching and both will find their audience.

Edited by k_allison