Menu

Cost of tutor?

Night Elf

Dd is having a hard time in her Statistics class and that is her major. She's not the only one in class having problems. She said the teacher doesn't explain concepts clearly and is confusing. There are no study groups. I suggested she ask the few people around her but I don't know if she did or not. Today she thinks she failed an exam so I suggested to call the Stat department and ask if they have tutors or grad students willing to tutor. I realize it will depend on the person, but what cost is common in this situation? I told her we'd pay for a tutor with no problem. She's going to lose her great scholarship and drop down to just a good scholarship but that means more money we have to pay out of pocket. I'd rather find her a tutor.

• Like 1

Most colleges now seem to have tutors that are free to students who need them.

Dd was a tutor last year, paid by the school (not the students).  She's been hired to be a tutor this year again (at a different school; she transferred), except they're paying her in credits instead of $ (she needs extra credits like a hole in the head, but she enjoys tutoring...).   I told her she should hang out her shingle to tutor for $ on her own if they school doesn't want to pay her, but she says that's really frowned upon and the tutors are supposed to be through the school (and free to the students).

I guess for what we're all paying for tuition, free tutoring is the least they can do??

• Like 1

Yes, check for a free tutoring center first. Also, some public libraries offer free tutoring online. 

My dd charges $20 per session for tutoring, but she and her dorm mates also trade tutoring for free. 

She also tutors for Chegg, and they charge $35/hour, less if you get on a regular schedule. I know some local tutors who charge about that amount. 

Matryoshka, your dd should check into Chegg or another online tutoring service, they pay pretty well. Payments go straight into my dd's Paypal account. 

Is there a teacher's aid for the class? Usually they will have times a student can ask for extra help outside of class.

I'll ask. I found a tutoring service on campus and fees are part of student fees so no extra cost. I don't see her Stat class listed though. It did mention private tutors so it's worth a shot to call them as well. I'd rather her hook up with someone in her major because she may use them for other major courses. I also hope she follows through with this. I've told her what to do but really the ball is in her court. I've got high anxiety about this.

Matryoshka, your dd should check into Chegg or another online tutoring service, they pay pretty well. Payments go straight into my dd's Paypal account.

Funny you should ask... my other dd signed up to tutor last year with Chegg, but never got any bites. I think she was looking to tutor Calc? She actually had the same problem with IRL tutoring; her school's tutoring center had enough Calc tutors and weren't looking for more, and that's when she decided to try Chegg.

The dd I was talking about has been tutoring Logic, which I'm not sure there's a huge demand for on Chegg? Though she could also possibly do Spanish - what subjects do they offer tutoring in? What does your dd tutor?

For beginning to Intermediate courses

books like these can be helpful:

Statistics Problem Solver

ISBN-13: 978-0878915156

They show the solution steps and the concept.

Looks like it got decent reviews.

-------------------------------------------------------

I used this series to help me with Calc 3 back in the day before WWW!

There might be better stuff available these days.

Funny you should ask... my other dd signed up to tutor last year with Chegg, but never got any bites. I think she was looking to tutor Calc? She actually had the same problem with IRL tutoring; her school's tutoring center had enough Calc tutors and weren't looking for more, and that's when she decided to try Chegg.

The dd I was talking about has been tutoring Logic, which I'm not sure there's a huge demand for on Chegg? Though she could also possibly do Spanish - what subjects do they offer tutoring in? What does your dd tutor?

You can offer just about any subject on Chegg, and I think it helps to list a lot of subjects rather than just a few. Some subjects you have to take a test for, others you do not, I'm not sure of the criteria. Definitely you can do languages, I think dd has French, Spanish, and Latin listed. 

I'm hoping that dd's finals are all early, so she can be available during finals time! I'm guessing lots more people are hopping on looking for help during finals.

I know for sure she has tutored for accounting, French, ACT, economics, foreign relations, and the math portion of the GMAT. She has LOTS of subjects listed on her profile, lol. People are usually very specific in their search, and if you don't have the specific subject listed, they won't pick you. Also, if you tutor them in one subject and they like you, they will return for a different subject if you have it listed. 

You can take a look at her profile and check out her list: https://www.chegg.com/tutors/online-tutors/Gabrielle-C-4493360/

It's nice because you don't need to get a ton of hours to make decent money, they pay well! 

• Like 1

For beginning to Intermediate courses
books like these can be helpful:

Statistics Problem Solver
ISBN-13: 978-0878915156
They show the solution steps and the concept.
Looks like it got decent reviews.

-------------------------------------------------------
I used this series to help me with Calc 3 back in the day before WWW!
There might be better stuff available these days.

Thank you, I'll send this to her and see if it's any help. She's taking Calc 3 this semester too but I don't know what stat class she's in.

I highly recommend that she go talk to the professor. Even if she ends up choosing to hire a tutor, the professor can often see some patterns in where the student is getting confused and make suggestions of what the student needs to change or work on to improve.

• Like 3

I highly recommend that she go talk to the professor. Even if she ends up choosing to hire a tutor, the professor can often see some patterns in where the student is getting confused and make suggestions of what the student needs to change or work on to improve.

Totally agree.  It is also extremely helpful for the professor to understand when and how the students are getting confused.  

I did suggest she start by talking to the professor because he should have some information on where a student can go for help. She's afraid he's going to offer extra help during office hours and she doesn't want help from him. He's very vague in his explanations and contradicts himself sometimes. She wants someone else. I did buy that book someone suggested. I told her it may help but if it doesn't it was cheap so no big deal. 

I did suggest she start by talking to the professor because he should have some information on where a student can go for help. She's afraid he's going to offer extra help during office hours and she doesn't want help from him. He's very vague in his explanations and contradicts himself sometimes. She wants someone else. I did buy that book someone suggested. I told her it may help but if it doesn't it was cheap so no big deal. 

He may offer extra help, and she can then decide whether or not she wants to take him up on that.  Although she may still want additional outside help, I would see it as a rare case in which working some additionally with the professor would not have some added value.  She may find out that what she thinks he is doing that is contradicting himself is really her misunderstanding what he is saying.  She may get more complete explanations during office hours.  If he understands why she is confused, he may make extra effort to slow down and cover those items more in class.  

If nothing more, she can say that she has a schedule conflict during his office hours which makes them inconvenient and ask if he knows of any other resources---at least then he sees here as someone who is making an effort. 

• Like 4

Although she may still want additional outside help, I would see it as a rare case in which working some additionally with the professor would not have some added value.   

I agree that it will probably have actual value. And, cynically, professors tend to look more kindly upon students who utilize offered help and office hours. 

• Like 2

I agree to see the prof at least once even if she ends up hiring a tutor privately. 

Additionally, have you checked whether her textbook has an online component? I'm actually taking a stats course now & we are using the paper text and were not required to activate the additional online component but I went ahead and purchased it anyway. My textbook has a lot of added online content - actual full video lessons which explain the concepts for each unit in each chapter,  and entire problem sets where you can watch an instructor solve the problem step by step. Other problems have step by step electronic instructions which link back to the text.  There's also an unlimited practice bank where you can keep asking for 'similar problems' so you get really familiar with it. 

• Like 4

I agree to see the prof at least once even if she ends up hiring a tutor privately. 

Additionally, have you checked whether her textbook has an online component? I'm actually taking a stats course now & we are using the paper text and were not required to activate the additional online component but I went ahead and purchased it anyway. My textbook has a lot of added online content - actual full video lessons which explain the concepts for each unit in each chapter,  and entire problem sets where you can watch an instructor solve the problem step by step. Other problems have step by step electronic instructions which link back to the text.  There's also an unlimited practice bank where you can keep asking for 'similar problems' so you get really familiar with it. 

That's cool. I'll ask her.