Menu

Supplementary Math materials

yelah250

Hello!

My 5th grader (who is in school) has asked for a math tutor so she can dig deeper and learn new math concepts. My dad is a retired physics teacher and is excited to do this with her but wants me to find the materials. Any suggestions? We've never pushed math and she's never asked for more so I'm assuming she's mostly on grade level (but could move a lot faster if so inclined).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@homeagain she said she just wants to get ahead. She's good in math but never showed a specific interest, though. I'm more of a reader myself so I'm needing to go out of my comfort zone.

So I'm planning on giving my dad some leads on 5th and 6th grade math topics and let them sort of go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My kids love Beast Academy (Art of Problem Solving). Check out samples from the text and workbook here: https://beastacademy.com/books

Click on the level and then see the samples/peek inside the books. The guide book is textbook (comics-style featuring make-believe funny, cartoon beasts) and the practice book is the workbook

Edited to fix link.

Edited by zaichiki

i'd go for Beast Academy - if physical paper based books and work-sheets.

OR

https://giftedandtalented.com/ - opt for Redbird maths : online and pretty darn fantastic. You can go self or the tutoring option ($$). I went: self. My son does it 20 min a day and already way above others. He loves it as at the end, there's a complete project using Maths so ends up actually understanding where what he learnt can and is being applied, today in real world.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...