Menu

Switching from Singapore to MUS

PentecostalMom

My DD did Horizons 1 and Singspore 1B last year. She went through them so fast that I had Beta sitting on the shelf for my son this year and decided to let her go for it. It was seamless. Now I do think Horizon was beneficial because she was used to adding double digit numbers at that point but 1B does a good job getting kids prepped for that and Beta eases in slow. My daughter hadn't really had to estimate much to that point so that was probably the weirdest adjustment for her but Steve does a great job in the videos explaining things. She loved it. I find MUS to be one of the easiest maths to move in and out of because it is predictable, reviews previous material, has alot of story problems so Singspore kids will feel right at home :)

We didn't switch from Singapore; we switched from Horizons. It was an easy transition and we are flying through MUS Gamma. We have added in Math Mammoth for the word problems and some extra practice. If she tested into Beta, she'll be fine  :)

Edited by Jame

We didn't switch from Singapore; we switched from Horizons. It was an easy transition and we are flying through MUS Gamma. We have added in Math Mammoth for the word problems and some extra practice. If she tested into Beta, she'll be fine :)

I was thinking of also using either Beast Academy or Challenging Word Problems With MUS. We already own CWP, but BA sure looks fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only suggestion I would have is to take your time to make sure she understands the "Decimal Street" place value concepts as explained in the beginning of Beta. That's the major review of Alpha that would be needed. SM also teaches place value well, but Decimal Street really helps to understand later on when Demme starts teaching expanded place value notation and estimation. Beast Academy is fun! But an expensive supplement, so I haven't bought anymore. :)

Not much help, as we made the switch to MUS in 5th grade, so DS was much further along than your DD. DS had been through Miquon (which clicked the best for him), Singapore, and Saxon by that time, so switching over so early with your 7yo should be quite easy. :)

I am a firm believer in using a second math program, or math supplements, from a different POV, as the spine to help encourage math thinking and math connections. We did continue to use excerpts of Singapore with DS, working 1-2 grades down, so it was more of a review from a different POV and a good practice of word problems and problem-solving. (That is the one area I think MUS is weak with.)

With your DD, in a few months, once she's transitioned to MUS and has the swing of it, I'd suggest adding in a supplement: Miquon is excellent as a supplement. Or some booklets that work with different manipulatives (pattern blocks, geoboards, multi-link cubes, clocks/time-telling, money, etc.).

Beast Academy is a fun-looking program, but if you're using it as a supplement with a student who hasn't been entirely solid with math, I'd work a grade level down, and let it be more of a great review and provide lots of success that way. So try BA 2 in 3rd grade, and BA 3 in 4th grade, etc.

BEST of luck as you make your switch! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

We didn't switch from Singapore; we switched from Horizons. It was an easy transition and we are flying through MUS Gamma. We have added in Math Mammoth for the word problems and some extra practice. If she tested into Beta, she'll be fine :)

Are you using a grade level MM book for word problems or a topical one?

Not much help, as we made the switch to MUS in 5th grade, so DS was much further along than your DD. DS had been through Miquon (which clicked the best for him), Singapore, and Saxon by that time, so switching over so early with your 7yo should be quite easy. :)

I am a firm believer in using a second math program, or math supplements, from a different POV, as the spine to help encourage math thinking and math connections. We did continue to use excerpts of Singapore with DS, working 1-2 grades down, so it was more of a review from a different POV and a good practice of word problems and problem-solving. (That is the one area I think MUS is weak with.)

With your DD, in a few months, once she's transitioned to MUS and has the swing of it, I'd suggest adding in a supplement: Miquon is excellent as a supplement. Or some booklets that work with different manipulatives (pattern blocks, geoboards, multi-link cubes, clocks/time-telling, money, etc.).

Beast Academy is a fun-looking program, but if you're using it as a supplement with a student who hasn't been entirely solid with math, I'd work a grade level down, and let it be more of a great review and provide lots of success that way. So try BA 2 in 3rd grade, and BA 3 in 4th grade, etc.

BEST of luck as you make your switch! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I would say she is rather solid in math. She does most of Singapore Standards in her head. The reason I said we are sporadic in the original post was that my dad became ill last winter and we took time off to spend with him as he was in and out of the hospital, then with hospice, and then we lost him in the spring. We had to move to be closer to him and then move back again after his death to be closer again to my husband’s job. After all of that, then there was Hurricane Irma that damaged our home and caused more losses. In the middle of those two events, I lost a baby. Suffice it to say it’s been a rough year.

Today she did lesson 4 in MUS Beta. She wanted to do all of the pages so I let her. She did not need nor want my help. I do want something as a supplement. I have Singapore CWP and Intensive Practice as well as several of the MM Topical Books.

The one dilemma I have is that she doesn’t like switching books frequently, that is part of what inspired me to seek out a different program for her. However, having one day as “fun†math is a feasible option. Thoughts??

• Like 1

I would say she is rather solid in math. She does most of Singapore Standards in her head.

Yes, DS#1 was a math-natural, and did much of it in his head. The problem with that is about level 3A/B, and especially level 4A/B of Singapore, the word problems become multi-stepped and really *require* the student to draw out the bar method to help them visualize how to go about solving the problem. This can be very frustrating to a student who has flown along with no problems with basic concepts and algorithms up to that point. Just something to keep an eye on for in a few years. :)

...my dad became ill ... and then we lost him in the spring. We had to move to be closer to him and then move back again... After all of that, then there was Hurricane Irma that damaged our home and ... I lost a baby. Suffice it to say it’s been a rough year.

:grouphug: So sorry about the loss of your father and you sweet little one, and the moves and hurricane damage! :( You have had a super tough year, so be gentle on yourself and on your DD as you all take time to emotionally recover and get your home repaired. Your DD is SO young, she will be fine academically, even if you did nothing more than a basic math workbook and some reading this year.

...having one day as “fun†math is a feasible option. Thoughts??

Yes, we did that up through about 4th grade -- 4 days/week was the spine math, and the 5th day was math games and fun supplements.

...Today she did lesson 4 in MUS Beta. She wanted to do all of the pages so I let her. She did not need nor want my help. I do want something as a supplement. I have Singapore CWP and Intensive Practice as well as several of the MM Topical Books.

The one dilemma I have is that she doesn’t like switching books frequently, that is part of what inspired me to seek out a different program for her...

It sounds like she will blow through MUS very quickly if she is doing an entire lesson in 1 day or in just a few days, so you will either want to have the next level on hand to just move right into that when she finishes level B.

Or, that's when you might consider switching to a different program (like Miquon or Math Mammoth or Beast Academy) and finish out the school year with that secondary program. Or, perhaps that's when you want to plug in the Singapore CWP and Intensive Practice, and just do that to finish the year... It all depends on how you all are doing, what you feel YOU can manage, and what your DD clicks with.

Just as a side note:

We also would switch over to fun supplements for a week (or a month) if DS "hit the wall" with a topic. We'd either use supplements on the same topic but from a different view if it was just a brief "hiccup" in understanding, or switch to a completely different topic if he needed more time for the problem topic to "simmer" on the back burner in the back of his mind. Frequently, after a month of doing other things, when we came back to the spine math, he often clicked quickly with it, and it was no longer a big issue.

I will mention that, I have no personal experience with Beast Academy (sadly, it came out after our DSs were too old for it), BUT, as fun as it looks, it does not fit well with all students. From reviews from other parents on these boards, children who do not like to "sit awhile with not knowing", or who are easily frustrated if they don't immediately see how to solve the problem, can get very frustrated and shut down with Beast Academy. Some children can be gently guided over those "humps" with leading questions or suggested ideas of how they might approach the problem-solving, but others just shut down. Just something to be aware of and think about in regards to your own student's way of processing and handling math. :)

:grouphug: Sorry you have had such a very difficult and draining year. May this school year be a time of blessing and restoration, and may you quickly find what works best for you AND your DD for Math. Warmest regards, Lori D.

We made the switch last year for my oldest, he started in Gamma. At the same time my youngest started with Alpha, and is in Beta this year. My recommendation, since your will be in Beta, which is so close to the beginning, is to get an Alpha DVD or Teachers Manual, and review with your daughter the concepts taught for how to add and subtract with the blocks. I think you could do this in two weeks max, and it would be of great benefit before you jump into Beta. Also, MUS tends to be so straightforward and understandable that you will likely catch up before the end of the year. We often do two weeks worth of lessons in one week if we don't add in additional enriching activities (we use Beast Academy, and lots of math games to go deeper). I keep wishing my oldest had done MUS from the start. It has been so wonderful for my youngest, and he is by far more sound in his math concepts, despite my oldest being very bright and capable.