Menu

Colleges in VA that offer great financial aid to lower income families?

OnMyOwn

I am looking for my niece, and the family income is about $50k in a high cost of living area. I was quite surprised to see when I did the NPC for University of Mary Washington that she did qualify for about $10,000 in grants, but was still expected to pay $16,000/year. There is no way that is happening. Though, I guess the reality is that the $16,000 is all room and board, books and personal expenses.

She will likely start out at the community college, but are there schools in Virginia that would be more affordable for her? She would really like to go away for a couple of years rather than commute the whole time.

William and Mary "We typically meet 100% of demonstrated financial need for in-state students, and through the William & Mary Promise, implemented in 2013, we reduced loans and increased grants for entering Virginians."

UVA meets need.

Washington and Lee, URichmond, Patrick Henry are all VA colleges that use the CSS profile. I am not sure if they meet full need or not.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 2

W&L meets 100% of need and is VERY generous with support for research, summer internships, etc.

Often the private schools are more generous than the public ones. What about some of the smaller private schools?  Roanoke, Marymount, Bridgewater, and Mary Baldwin may all be worth a look, and there are heaps of others.

• Like 2

Thanks! I wîll take a look at some of smaller private schools. It seems many of the public schools that offer great aid are top schools and my niece does not have those kinds of stats. She's very bright, creative and a unique out-of-the-box thinker, but also scattered and undisciplined. I wanted to give her something to aim for, that she would know she could afford, if she did well at the CC. She wants to be a technical education teacher, if that matters. She spends every extra minute of her time among multiple robotics clubs and the tournaments that go with them and she is great with children.