Menu

What's with the ads?

lynn

Gifts your 12 year old dd has really liked

I just need some ideas.  Dd birthday is tomorrow and she has everything She wants and is content.    It just seems wrong not to get her anything kwim.     Money she just puts in her bank (she is going to be able to pay cash for a car when she gets her license)  Experiences, we've done many things with her and have many more planned, she likes to draw but does not mind composition books and regular #2 pencils, crayola colored pencils etc.  I've given her many opportunities to get the best drawing things but she's happy with what she has.   So what to get this beautiful, creative, t-shirt and jeans girl?

TIA

Argh--I had a longish reply and lost it! Trying again ...

My artsy 12yo always loves getting new markers, gel pens, colored pencils and sketch pads. She, too, is happy to use composition books and regular pens/pencils but uses her special supplies to draw Warrior Cats (from the book series). 

That said, she would love to get any of the books she's lacking from that series.

If your dd likes Harry Potter, the new illustrated editions are really nice.

Maybe a book along the lines of Wreck This Journal that encourages creativity?

And dd is always happy if someone wants to give her a pair of Converse in a color she doesn't have. Or a new hoodie--cuz you can't ever have enough of those, apparently.

DD (almost 12) is very artsy and wants nothing more for her 12th birthday coming up than a large supply of good rocks and rock painting supplies (acrylic paint, paint pens and sealant/glaze for sealing the rocks).  She's gotten really into painting and hiding rocks and we've discovered all sorts of local parks we've never been to before.  

She would also like it to be light later in the day so we can go rock hiding and hunting more often but I'm not able to do that!

• Like 1

My artsy DD loves audiobooks and her Echo Dot because she can listen to the audiobooks while she colors and draws. Or music.

• Like 2

My artsy DD loves audiobooks and her Echo Dot because she can listen to the audiobooks while she colors and draws. Or music.

I just got an Echo Dot for DD13 for the same reason! She loves to listen to music while she works on her art. A nice set of wireless headphones to go with this is a good idea too.

I know you said your daughter is fine with her Crayola colored pencils but has she had the opportunity to try some better quality pencils?  My daughter received a set of these in sixth grade and still uses them post-college.

LYRA Triangular Giant Colored Pencils, Set of 12 Super Ferby

Is there an art store near you?  Does it offer classes?  Perhaps you could sign your daughter up for a class that appeals.  Otherwise, she might enjoy receiving a gift certificate to the art store.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1

I know you said your daughter is fine with her Crayola colored pencils but has she had the opportunity to try some better quality pencils?  My daughter received a set of these in sixth grade and still uses them post-college.

LYRA Triangular Giant Colored Pencils, Set of 12 Super Ferby

Is there an art store near you?  Does it offer classes?  Perhaps you could sign your daughter up for a class that appeals.  Otherwise, she might enjoy receiving a gift certificate to the art store.

Regards,

Kareni

That's an excellent point. The good quality pencils are worlds ahead of the crayola ones.

• Like 1

My twelve year old wanted to learn how to knit.

She took a class at a local yarn store.

Just an idea.

• Like 1

You could have a flower arrangement delivered for her.  My parents did that for me one year, it was pretty neat.  Or instead of flowers, maybe one of those edible arrangements. 

Or maybe some sort of subscription box, there are a ton of different ones, maybe you can find one with interests for her.

Depending on how much you want to spend, you could give her "dinner and a movie" with a friend, shich is basically just a restaurant gift card and a movie gift card.

Limo ride?  When my oldest turned 18, Dh and I paid for a limo to take her and 5 friends downtown to go out to a restaurant and then a movie.  For a 12 yr old it could be you and her, or her and her older siblings, something like that.

Agreeing on the suggestion of Lyra pencils. The best.

Would she like an art class to try something different than drawing -- maybe painting, clay, etc...?

Could you take a photo or photos of some of her favorite pieces & then convert them into canvas artwork, get a coffee mug or t-shirt w/ the design on it, etc...?

ETA: Would she like some fun drawing books for inspiration like How to Draw and Paint Fairies (or whatever interests her)?

Would she like trying to make a fairy/miniature garden? Perhaps start with a book for ideas & some supplies?

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 1

This is probably too late but would she like something different for her room? New comforter set? A wall hanging? My youngest dd was around that age when I took her shopping for her room. She loved it. She made her room feel more grown up. Oh, and a lava lamp! She even took her lava lamp to college with her.