Menu

Cheapest and least bad take out options

Guinevere

There is a deli/pizza place up the street from me, and during the school year they have family dinners to take out 3 times a week. Last Friday they had chicken parm, baked ziti, a salad and bread for $38, enough to feed 4. Other meals they have at a per person cost, from 6.99 to 11.99 per person. They've done full turkey dinners, chicken francese served with rice and a vegetable, etc. I usually can't eat their meals but they always have great salads with grilled chicken. Another deli has roasted chicken dinners, pot pies, pastas, etc. There is a supermarket close to me that has an awesome hot food bar and an amazing chef on staff. Her meals sell out by 5 pm. There are also a ton of places that have special meals that can be delivered during the week. A friend of my sil just opened up a place that mainly does dinners for families. She started out of her home emailing people her list of dinners for the week and had them ready for pickup at a certain time. Now she will deliver them or they can be picked up at the store. We are in the suburbs about 35 minutes from NYC. Prepared dinners to go or for delivery are huge around here. Many of them are out of my price range though. 

Edited by dsmith
  • Like 1

Baked potato from Wendy's and a Caesar side salad (no meat) if it's fast food. Cheap and doesn't make me gain weight. Fast food meat is ADDICTIVE.

For an actual meal, our local Mexican places.

If you're just feeding people, donatoes has nice large salads. One of those with or without pizza is a crowd pleaser.

Edited by OhElizabeth

We have a local chain which does all kinds of vegetarian/vegan bowls, salads, burgers etc. I always get one of their bowls with quinoa or ancient grains with beans, grilled veggies, fresh veggies in it. It is more than I can eat, but it makes me feel less guilty about eating takeout. They have soup/bowl combos, burger/soup/drink combos as well.

• Like 2

I agonize over this. If there is a good answer, I'd like to hear it!

For cheap carry out, we like Costco pizza. I would not consider it healthy. We have bought a pizza and eaten it there.

We have a big family and fast food( unless it's McDonald's) is expensive. So, we just don't eat carry out very often.

Jason's deli all you can eat salad bar has all the salad fixings plus hummus, boiled eggs, pasta salad, fresh fruit, nuts, and whole grain crackers. If you get their sandwiches, the deli meat is nitrate free. Their soups are good and filling as well.

Another choice is a burrito place like Qdoba, Chipotle, or Moe's where you can get a rice bowl loaded with beans, lean meat, and lots of taco salad type veggies on top.

A noodle bowl or Asian fix your own bowl restaurant is another option.

• Like 2

Cheapest and "least bad" option? Plan better, bring food.

Otherwise, I'm a fan of Wendy's. The girls won't eat Subway. And there's a Wendy's at the boat. (LOL, when it opened, for a week everybody I bumped into told me about it! I had no idea so many people were that excited over Wendy's!)

• Like 1

The problem you'll be dealing with is that there is an inverse relationship between how healthy the takeout is and how cheap it is. So you'll have to decide whether you care more about it being healthy or about it being cheap.

For healthy, Panera and Whole Foods are my "go to" places.

• Like 1

Subway for healthy and relatively cheap.  We used to do McDonalds for a children's burger or 2 and one set of fries for all and iced tea or milk to drink=== That was very fast, not much calories but enough food until whenever and really cheap - as in almost everything was in the dollar menu but I think they changed their pricing scheme.  We tend to only eat at Subway or Chick Fil A in terms of fast food places.  Pizza can be cheap and is a healthy food if you do healthy toppings.  

Chipotle feels "less bad" than most other quick options, and I like their food.  But if I have to eat in the car, that doesn't work so well.  I'm good with Chick Fil-A and sometimes Taco Hell.  I like Subway, but recent experience with their service was not good.

• Like 1

I can tell you what not to do - order nachoes at Moe's! I just recently fell down that particular rabbit hole, because I love Moe's but don't have one nearby. So I stopped at a Moe's while in southern Maryland and ordered nachoes, paying no heed to their caloric profiles.

Don't do that. You will need four digits to record it on My Fitness Pal! 😱😄

Eta: typo

Edited by Quill
  • Like 3

Panera's veggie soup and a half a sandwich

Moe's rice bowls with lots of veggies (they also have a salsa bar!)

We have a pizza place, Positive Pie, which has really good, really thin crust pizza. You can buy it by the slice and get a huge slice for $3. 

We don't have a Wendy's, but I used to like their baked potato w/ broccoli

I'll get a veggie sub at Subway on occasion

Our favorite - Jason's Deli - call ahead and order so it is ready to go when you arrive. You can also just order the salad bar and they have a nice plastic box and a couple of containers (for dressing,etc) if you want super healthy. (Love their hummus!) You do have to go in and pick it up. You could probably ask them to bring it out to your car, and they might do that. They seem very helpful there. One sandwich is enough for 2 people here (usually - unless teen is super hungry)

We also like Raising Canes - but we all split a box. Not as healthy!

Wendy's baked potato and chilli. 

That is usually what I pick, although I'm not sure how healthy the chili is, it is not a HUGE caloric bomb. If doing lower carb I go for a salad but pretty much all "cheap" salads have cheap fraken-processed chicken, blegh. 

Taco Bell is the cheapest for me and by far the most vegan friendly. I can sub rice or beans for any meat without paying extra, the fresco option eliminates all the dairy and excepting the one time where they thought that meant lettuce in my bean burrito, it’s pretty darn tasty.

Subway is a bit more expensive, but with coupons it’s cheaper and pretty tasty.

Mod Pizza isn’t bad. No vegan tax, thank goodness, as there’s no extra charge for the vegan cheese. Plus, the mini pizza is plenty and there are oodles of veggies to choose from. Hello roasted brussels sprouts!

• Like 3

I do stuff like bagged salad mix and a rotisserie chicken.  The grocery store has some decent to go things.  Since being super low carb there are very few to go options at restaurants that work so I just don't eat out much these days. 

Although last night I had a planned cheat.  I went out and ate an ice cream sundae for dinner.  Is that healthy?  Hell yeah.  LOL  Prior I would have eaten the meal AND the ice cream sundae.  So I figure at least I was getting a lot less calories. 

• Like 6

Thanks all!  I am sending this all to ds who is eating on the run a lot now.  He is so crazy busy with college & work that he is eating more and more on the run.  This is his first year living as a commuter rather than a resident student.  Since he is recovering from chemo this semester, I want to steer him toward healthy options.  Fortunately he has healthy food attitudes anyway, so he is receptive to ideas.

• Like 2

Sub sandwiches from a grocery store, either Harris Teeter or Publix. I order ahead using the store app and they are made fresh to order. I can choose the pickup time at both places. Publix has the best bread, Harris Teeter has the best customer service. Both have Boars Head meat and Harris Teeter has the lower price.

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1