Menu

Singapore math 6

On Singapore website they have both HIG 6a&b and teacher guide 6a&b, I didn't look at the difference, the teacher guide is more expensive though. I have 6a&b HIG, and think I referred to it once for clarification.

I am using math mammoth grade seven pre algebra this year for my 12 year old, along with Life of Fred. If he breezes through MM then we will move onto algebra.

• Like 2

On Singapore website they have both HIG 6a&b and teacher guide 6a&b, I didn't look at the difference, the teacher guide is more expensive though. I have 6a&b HIG, and think I referred to it once for clarification.

I am using math mammoth grade seven pre algebra this year for my 12 year old, along with Life of Fred. If he breezes through MM then we will move onto algebra.

Do you mind me asking whether you have US or standards edition? I found a hig for US but not standards. Was the transition to math mammoth relatively painless? I have a kid that gets easily overwhelmed with math so I want to get this right.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We use Math in Focus, which would be a seamless transition from Singapore PM. The courses 1-3 are grades 6-8. They cover pre-algebra and quite a thorough intro to algebra. Any algebra class after that sequence would likely seem very easy.

If my goal were to get dd into algebra in 8th grade. How can I accomplish that with finishing SM6 in February if 6th grade?

Would it be possible to go to MIF Course 3 from SM 6?

It is it better to start with MIF Course 2 even if she might not have time to complete Course 3?

If my goal were to get dd into algebra in 8th grade. How can I accomplish that with finishing SM6 in February if 6th grade?

Would it be possible to go to MIF Course 3 from SM 6?

It is it better to start with MIF Course 2 even if she might not have time to complete Course 3?

It has been very easy for us to complete a level of MIF in less than a year. Sometimes I just move on, other times we work on Hands On Equations or Beast Academy.

According to the TMs, the average lesson takes 2 days to complete, plus one day for each chapter opener, and then chapter reviews, etc. Most lesson take us one day, and I often combine the chapter opener with the first lesson. So for you to do two grade levels in 1.5 years seems very do-able to me.

If you have to start algebra in the fall of 8th grade, I would guess you'd be fine even if you didn't finish MIF 8. But .... if you are homeschooling algebra, you could start late, because so much of it will be review that you could condense the first chapters.

I am in the exact same spot - not wanting to miss out on Singapore's great conceptual teaching. Although today a lesson on converting fractions, decimals, and percents in MIF 6, ch. 6 has me thinking that they are making things too complicated ;). I looked in other prealgebra books for more practice problems and none had hard questions like "write 41 2/3% as a fraction in simplest terms." Most of the time I love how they teach topics though.

Edited by ondreeuh
  • Like 1

I do not know how MiF compares to standards since I use the U.S. edition. I know standards does have a little more the the U.S. Edition so maybe it be less extreme but it takes me much longer to get through a MiF lesson then a Signapore lesson because each lesson has much more textbook to cover and more workbook pages too. I have one kid doing each because I thought MiF being a little more incremental would be helpful for one child but I actually much prefer Singapore.

• Like 1

We completed both A and B books of level 6 in about a semester, then moved directly to Dimensions 7A in January of 6th grade. Dimensions is challenging and it took most of grade 7 to finish 7B. Then he started 8A and at that point it was just a little too difficult for ds. So for grade 8 we switched to Foerster's Algebra I with the Math Without Borders videos and he is excelling. Math is his favorite subject this year.

• Like 1

Dimensions Math put out a 6th grade set of books recently. It looks like it eases into DM 7 and 8.

I really, really like DM, but it's been a slog for my son. He has great math intuition, but getting things to generalize has been hard. Anyway, by the end of DM 8, they really have done algebra 1, some stats/probability, and quite a lot of geometry. 

If you look at DM, I recommend using the workbooks as well. 

• Like 1

We completed both A and B books of level 6 in about a semester, then moved directly to Dimensions 7A in January of 6th grade. Dimensions is challenging and it took most of grade 7 to finish 7B. Then he started 8A and at that point it was just a little too difficult for ds. So for grade 8 we switched to Foerster's Algebra I with the Math Without Borders videos and he is excelling. Math is his favorite subject this year.

Did you find that DM 7 into Foerster's was a smooth transition? 

• Like 1

Did you find that DM 7 into Foerster's was a smooth transition? 

Yes. He's about nine chapters in so far, and I think there was only one section at the beginning that was review for him. And none of the new material has assumed prior knowledge he didn't have. 

...based on the feedback he's given me, anyway. Math is an independent subject for him. 

• Like 2

It has been very easy for us to complete a level of MIF in less than a year. Sometimes I just move on, other times we work on Hands On Equations or Beast Academy.

According to the TMs, the average lesson takes 2 days to complete, plus one day for each chapter opener, and then chapter reviews, etc. Most lesson take us one day, and I often combine the chapter opener with the first lesson. So for you to do two grade levels in 1.5 years seems very do-able to me.

If you have to start algebra in the fall of 8th grade, I would guess you'd be fine even if you didn't finish MIF 8. But .... if you are homeschooling algebra, you could start late, because so much of it will be review that you could condense the first chapters.

I am in the exact same spot - not wanting to miss out on Singapore's great conceptual teaching. Although today a lesson on converting fractions, decimals, and percents in MIF 6, ch. 6 has me thinking that they are making things too complicated ;). I looked in other prealgebra books for more practice problems and none had hard questions like "write 41 2/3% as a fraction in simplest terms." Most of the time I love how they teach topics though.

Thanks.

You're using Simple Solutions, too, aren't you? Or maybe I'm imagining things...but I'm really living SS alongside of Singapore.

Dimensions Math put out a 6th grade set of books recently. It looks like it eases into DM 7 and 8.

I really, really like DM, but it's been a slog for my son. He has great math intuition, but getting things to generalize has been hard. Anyway, by the end of DM 8, they really have done algebra 1, some stats/probability, and quite a lot of geometry.

If you look at DM, I recommend using the workbooks as well.

Thanks. D still has some writing issues and workbooks could really help, even if they are just meant to be supplements.

That's a real plus with MIF: workbooks with lots of white space.

Thanks. D still has some writing issues and workbooks could really help, even if they are just meant to be supplements.

That's a real plus with MIF: workbooks with lots of white space.

Actually, the DM workbooks don't have room to write much! I just meant that they are good practice.

• Like 1

Thanks.

You're using Simple Solutions, too, aren't you? Or maybe I'm imagining things...but I'm really living SS alongside of Singapore.

No, but we use 180 Days of Math and Math Minutes. I prefer Math Minutes, but there are only 100, so I stretch it out. I agree that the mixed practice is a really useful addition.

• Like 1