Menu

PSAT on Wednesday

Saw this on CollegeBoard Facebook page. I’m just being a busybody, none of my kids are taking PSAT.

“You’ll receive your 2017 PSAT/NMSQT scores December 11, 12, or 13. Score availability depends on the state from which you’re accessing your online score report. You’ll get an email once your scores are ready.â€

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-10/scores/getting-scores

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 6

Humorously enough, DD's August SAT Student Answer Service report arrived today. (I was expecting the Question & Answer Service - where they list her answer & the correct one. Instead, she got the Student Answer Service which only tells you if she got questions right or wrong.) Kinda too late to be helpful!

Is it possible to request this for the PSAT? I've searched and can't find it anywhere. I can find it for the SAT, ACT, and AP exams, but not the PSAT. 

• Like 1

Is it possible to request this for the PSAT?

It is free but under My College Quickstart

“My College QuickStart shows how you did on the PSAT and provides a personalized SAT study plan.

Scrolling down the screen, the Your Answers tab shows your response for each test question, the correct answer, and the difficulty level of that question. You can filter your view of the questions by skill or difficulty level as well as questions you answered correctly, incorrectly, or omitted. For example, try viewing the easy questions you got wrong. If you click on a question number, you’ll see the question and answer explanation. You can review the questions you got wrong and see why you got them wrong.â€

https://www.collegeboard.org/node/6136

• Like 4

Is it possible to request this for the PSAT? I've searched and can't find it anywhere. I can find it for the SAT, ACT, and AP exams, but not the PSAT. 

What Arcadia said . . . Basically, it is included. It will be in their report - available on the CB website once the results are announced. There is a report you can download that has every question - what your kid answered & if it wasn't correct, the correct letter for that question. You just have to get the answer book back from the school where your kid took the PSAT. They should let you pick it up in December once the results are out. 

• Like 2

It is free but under My College Quickstart

“My College QuickStart shows how you did on the PSAT and provides a personalized SAT study plan.

Scrolling down the screen, the Your Answers tab shows your response for each test question, the correct answer, and the difficulty level of that question. You can filter your view of the questions by skill or difficulty level as well as questions you answered correctly, incorrectly, or omitted. For example, try viewing the easy questions you got wrong. If you click on a question number, you’ll see the question and answer explanation. You can review the questions you got wrong and see why you got them wrong.â€

https://www.collegeboard.org/node/6136

What Arcadia said . . . Basically, it is included. It will be in their report - available on the CB website once the results are announced. There is a report you can download that has every question - what your kid answered & if it wasn't correct, the correct letter for that question. You just have to get the answer book back from the school where your kid took the PSAT. They should let you pick it up in December once the results are out. 

Thank you both!

Do I need to contact the school or CB about the booklet? Do the schools automatically have them?

• Like 3

Thank you both!

Do I need to contact the school or CB about the booklet? Do the schools automatically have them?

The booklet will be at the school.  They keep them until the scores are released and then the students can pick them up.

• Like 3

I don't know how the big schools do it, but the counselor at the school DD took it at saved it & mailed it to her at our request. We could have picked it up, too. It was her actual booklet - including all her scribbles. Very helpful!

There were three other kids who took it with DD today, so four total. Not a whole lot of booklets to keep track of! (They have to keep them secure, though. Not sure how they do it, but there are instructions in the administration booklet.)

• Like 3

She came out at 11:31.

When your kids are done, have them de-stress by looking at the #PSAT2017 memes on Twitter. They are hilarious and I don't even get the inside jokes. Don't look if you aren't testing until Saturday!

I just read your post and I sent that to my DD. This is her reply: These are so funny 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 2

I dropped my dd off at 8:45 for the 9:00 test and they weren't done until until 1:15.  She said they didn't even start reading the instructions until 9:40.  As soon as she got in the car, she thanked me for home schooling her. :)

Edited by OnMyOwn
  • Like 6

I dropped my dd off at 8:45 for the 9:00 test and they weren't done until until 1:15.  She said they didn't even start reading the instructions until 9:40.  As soon as she got in the car, she thanked me for home schooling her. :)

Same here.  She was dropped off at 7 am.  Test started at 8.  They made the whole group just sit there for 45 minutes after the end.  I tried to pick her up at 11 because that's when we were told they would be done.  She came out at 11:50.  She said,"They may have all day for this, but I actually need to be educated today!"  She had an online class at 12:15.  She marveled at how students are managed in a huge group setting. 

She hugged me and thanked me also.  Good day. :) 

• Like 5

Hahaha, that was about what DD said.  Well, first she said that it wasn't so bad and maybe school would be okay, but they only gave them four minutes for the first break and three for the second, and she hated having to wait for everyone else to finish filling in the bubbles, and she decided that she was glad she was homeschooled.

• Like 2

Same here.  She was dropped off at 7 am.  Test started at 8.  They made the whole group just sit there for 45 minutes after the end.  I tried to pick her up at 11 because that's when we were told they would be done.  She came out at 11:50.  She said,"They may have all day for this, but I actually need to be educated today!"  She had an online class at 12:15.  She marveled at how students are managed in a huge group setting. 

She hugged me and thanked me also.  Good day. :)

Hahaha, that was about what DD said.  Well, first she said that it wasn't so bad and maybe school would be okay, but they only gave them four minutes for the first break and three for the second, and she hated having to wait for everyone else to finish filling in the bubbles, and she decided that she was glad she was homeschooled.

Where do you get these girls? I could maybe see one of the three boys I took in to the school this morning saying that, but not DD15.

But who knows? Perhaps when we made her take the two knives she had out of her pockets before she could go there this morning gave her pause about school.

• Like 4

So, in talking with ds today, he put an incorrect email on the test registration sheet. How are we going to be able to get results? Any advice?

Can you speak with the person in the school where he took the PSAT to see if they still have the Answer Sheets and if so, can you or your DS go there to correct the email address?

Can you speak with the person in the school where he took the PSAT to see if they still have the Answer Sheets and if so, can you or your DS go there to correct the email address?

Those are shipped immediately to College Board. We have to put them on the UPS or FedEx truck by 5 that evening or first thing the next morning.

• Like 2

The mailing address is correct, I believe.

I don’t know if CollegeBoard would give PSAT results by phone but CollegeBoard did verify and change the mailing address for us for the AP exams my boys (under 13) took as the mailing address was incomplete.

You can call CollegeBoard next week to verify address. I called once to add to the free score report recipients for SAT for my kid (under 13) and could verify my mailing address at the same time.

• Like 1

The test administrator at the school where my daughter took the PSAT made all the homeschool students put the school's code on their test booklet. A number of the kids (including mine) argued that they were supposed to leave it blank after marking that they were a homeschool student, but the administrator refused to accept the booklet until the kids wrote it in. Is this going to cause a problem with the students getting their scores?

The test administrator at the school where my daughter took the PSAT made all the homeschool students put the school's code on their test booklet. A number of the kids (including mine) argued that they were supposed to leave it blank after marking that they were a homeschool student, but the administrator refused to accept the booklet until the kids wrote it in. Is this going to cause a problem with the students getting their scores?

Likely not. The only hiccup might be that the school counselor might be able to "claim" their scores for the school & see how the kids did. I'm not sure which bubbled code takes precedence since the change to the wording was only made last year. Your kid should still be able to get their results through their College Board account. 

I'd definitely call the school and complain about the administrator since that was clearly wrong. I'd take a printout of the appropriate pages of the PSAT administration book and complain in person. (The downside to this is that they might retaliate by not allowing homeschoolers to test there next year.)

If you call the College Board and ask which question is given more weight - the homeschool bubble or the school code, let us know.  :lurk5:

• Like 4

Likely not. The only hiccup might be that the school counselor might be able to "claim" their scores for the school & see how the kids did. I'm not sure which bubbled code takes precedence since the change to the wording was only made last year. Your kid should still be able to get their results through their College Board account. Thank you! That makes me feel much better. My daughter is only in 10th grade, so the whole point of taking the test is to see what she needs to work on for next year. That would have been quite difficult if we couldn't get her results.

I'd definitely call the school and complain about the administrator since that was clearly wrong. I'd take a printout of the appropriate pages of the PSAT administration book and complain in person. (The downside to this is that they might retaliate by not allowing homeschoolers to test there next year.) I can complain all I want without fear of retribution; in Texas the public schools are required to let homeschoolers test at the high school in their district. I guess they could "lose" her form next year and not let her test, but homeschoolers overall would still be allowed to test there no matter what I do. I am definitely going to send her with a copy of the administration book with the pertinent section highlighted next year.

If you call the College Board and ask which question is given more weight - the homeschool bubble or the school code, let us know.  :lurk5: I am going to do that, and I will let you know what they say.

• Like 3

Interesting note -- DD#1 changed her registered email on her college board account to where she wants all the college spam email to go. Today, she got an email from PSAT/NMSQT. The subject line was "How Was Your PSAT/NMSQT Test Experience?"

The only way the CB would know she took the test was by scanning in her test sheet. (The school she took it at doesn't do any sort of pre-registration other than noting how many tests to order.) So, I'm assuming the Wednesday testing sheets from her site made it to the CB and got scanned in already.

I also noted that the PSAT version today had some of the same passages as Wednesday and some different ones (from the #PSAT2017 memes on twitter).

:lurk5:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Desiree - Theoretically, all three dates for the PSAT should have the same chance for National Merit. I have no idea how the actual statistics play out, however. I doubt that the College Board releases specific information about score spreads for the three dates.

Good luck to your son today!

My son, 11th grade, is taking it on the 25th. Are there any disadvantages to this?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just a little side comment.

DD has always said she didn't want her email/info shared - and never got any mail from colleges (except Pensecola Christian because of Abeka).

I told her to check the box on the PSAT this year because it was time to start the onslaught.

Just this week, she received two emails from colleges that would only have this email because of the PSAT. So, obviously, they've started to share emailing list.

(I realize most others won't be able to distinguish, so I'm sharing.)

Dd is waiting patiently for scores. What? Another month to go?

• Like 3