Menu

Best time to take SAT Subject Test for Math 2?

Dd is taking trigonometry this semester for DE.  She will most likely wait until fall 2018 to take calculus 1 with DE.  

Would it be best for her to take the SAT Math 2 while trig and algebra 2 are fresh or wait until she's completed calc 1?  

She will be doing a lot of prep this summer for the PSAT in October (she'll be a junior then).  

Thanks!

• Like 1

Borrow this recently published CollegeBoard sat math 2 book from the library. There are four tests there. When your daughter can get a good enough score on those tests, she is good to go.

https://store.collegeboard.org/sto/productdetail.do?Itemkey=109328

My kids used AoPS. My youngest was good to go after intermediate algebra. The Math 2 curve is really generous.

• Like 3

Thank you!  

I had planned on her taking it in the spring, after calculus, but plans changed on her calculus class.  I am so glad I asked because I just checked the testing dates and had no idea that the subject tests weren't offered between December and May!  I just assumed she could prep for it during winter break and take it in January.  Will start getting prep books now!  

I just assumed she could prep for it during winter break and take it in January.

CollegeBoard removed the January test date after adding the August test date this year.

My oldest took the Math 2 after AoPS calculus. He just revised with the test prep books two weeks before the test and didn’t have a problem. Whatever he forgot came back with test prep. So I won’t worry even if your daughter takes the Math 2 test after calculus 1 or calculus 2.

• Like 1

Dd just took Level 2 Math last weekend, after finishing intermediate algebra precalclus last spring.  She told me she wished she had taken it at the end of last year, but it was not big deal taking it this fall.  Especially since Level 2 has a more generous curve, she'll probably do fine.  

Edited by daijobu
  • Like 2

Dd just took Level 2 Math last weekend, after finishing intermediate algebra last spring. She told me she wished she had taken it at the end of last year, but it was not big deal taking it this fall. Especially since Level 2 has a more generous curve, she'll probably do fine.

Didn't she need the precalculus? Was the trig coverage in geometry enough?

Didn't she need the precalculus? Was the trig coverage in geometry enough?

Depending on what score you are aiming for. Kiddo scored 750 after AoPS intermediate algebra and did not start AoPS precalculus until after the SAT Math 2 subject test in August, 2017.

ETA:

We consider that score once and done but will pay the test fees if kiddo wants to take it one more time while in high school.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 3

My dd took the Math 2 in August, which was after having finished PreCalc last June. She prepped over the summer with the Barron's book, and got an 800.  We liked the August date because she had plenty of time to do some practice tests over the summer and didn't have to stress about it around the time for finals the year before.  We think we might use the same strategy this summer and have her take the Bio test in August of next year, too.  It will all depend on how she feels toward the end of the year.

• Like 2