Menu

What does "shindig" mean to you. . . (Update in #51)

Pegasus

Interesting. I think you might have gotten more nuanced responses if you had asked us to compare all 3.

Shindig is definitely more formal, or at least more "refined" than a hoedown. I think of a shindig as any type of get-together that involves some amount of planning, inviting, etc., so formal in that sense, although the atmosphere could certainly be casual. I would say, "Sherrie is having a shindig on Saturday night," meaning she's invited people over and there will be food. If I said, "There's a big shindig going on over at the Waterfront Hotel," it would likely mean a wedding or some sort of formal, bigwhig event. Personally, I've never heard or used the term "little shindig", it feels like an oxymoron. The purpose of using the term "shindig" is to emphasize the festive or party nature of that gathering.

A hoedown, to me, means a barn dance. Country music, cowboy boots, drinking, loud and boistrous.

I have vaguely heard the term hootenanny, but have never used it or heard it in conversation and always considered it historical or regional, as in historical fiction set in the south. Imagining it might be similar to a hoedown, perhaps a bit more refined? Not sure.

Born and raised in New England.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I have *only* heard hootenanny to mean something where more than one person is going to play music (like guitar, maybe violin, maybe piano) for informal singing along or informal listening to music. That has a pretty specific meaning for me.

The host will have some people committed to come and bring a guitar or prepared to play piano.

Edited by Lecka

A party, can be used for casual or formal. 

Metro New Orleans. 

The term "hoedown" is hardly ever used, never in complete seriousness, unless it is intentionally a themed party or event. 

I know the term "hootenanny" but I've never heard anyone use it (seriously) in real life.

Before reading other replies...

A party, typically a large one that requires advance preparation. Often accompanied with adjectives like "big" and/or "fancy." Maybe something like a graduation ceremony, milestone birthday or anniversary, kicking cancer...something you wouldn't use an ordinary terms like "wedding" or "birthday party" to describe.

Like "bless your heart," this term can be used with all sincerity OR a touch of disdain, depending on how it's said. Like someone might think another is putting on airs or acting too big for their britches by having such a fancy affair. It's all in the tone.

Deep South/Southeast. Now off to see if my answer is even close to what others say...

ETA oh yeah, must involve music and dancing and most likely a cake or dessert fancier than popsicles and pound cake. I'm surprised that many answered it's casual. I mean, you don't always have to dress up nice but it is the sort of things people know about days or weeks in advance (and thus much chat about whether or not you'll be headin' over to RaeAnne's place for the shindig next Friday night).

This. Depends on who's using the term. If you're invited, it's a fancy party. If you're talking about something you weren't invited to, then it's usually code for 'snobby get together'

Susan from central Alabama

Party!

Can be a bit more formal than a hootenanny.

:lol:

Lived most of my life knocking around between northern limit of MA and southern limit of NJ.  I have never been to a hootenanny in all my life, but I absolutely positively now want to throw one.  Music is necessary?  Live or playlist?  

• Like 2

Lived most of my life knocking around between northern limit of MA and southern limit of NJ. I have never been to a hootenanny in all my life, but I absolutely positively now want to throw one. Music is necessary? Live or playlist?

LIVE! Someone must have a guitar, a banjo or a fiddle. It can't be a hootenanny without that.

• Like 3

Loving the responses! Our discussion launched from the meaning of shindig and quickly started making comparisons/contrasts with hootenanny and hoe down!

Looks like most folks agree with my DH and DDs in that a shindig is a casual party. They even thought it had connotations of southern and/or country as well. Definitely music, dancing optional, and probably beer. What *I* would call a hootenanny. Meanwhile, a hoe down MUST have country music and dancing.

If *I* call something a shindig, it means I have to dress nicer than everyday office wear. So, a reception with clients and hors d'oeuvres with the men wearing suits and ties and women dressed equivalently.

Maybe it depends on the qualifier: "small shindig" versus "fancy shindig".

To me, a hootenanny and a hoe down are about the same; very much country, rural, with live music and possibly dancing or singing along. Beer.

To me, shindig is more hipster than the other two. I don't equate them. It's not that I think it's super-elegant, but I think of it as more hipster. If it's live music, it's probably not country music or folksy songs. This is where I expect not so much beer but maybe wine or cocktails. If beer, then fancier beers.

• Like 2

Loving the responses!  Our discussion launched from the meaning of shindig and quickly started making comparisons/contrasts with hootenanny and hoe down!

Looks like most folks agree with my DH and DDs in that a shindig is a casual party. They even thought it had connotations of southern and/or country as well. Definitely music, dancing optional, and probably beer. What *I* would call a hootenanny.  Meanwhile, a hoe down MUST have country music and dancing.

If *I* call something a shindig, it means I have to dress nicer than everyday office wear. So, a reception with clients and hors d'oeuvres with the men wearing suits and ties and women dressed equivalently.

Funny. I feel like I may have heard shindig used in more than one context.

Oh my...on an episode of Buffy, the Vanpire Slayer the character named Oz had a definition of a shindig. 

​I found it...

Oz:We should figure out what kinda deal this is. I mean, is it a-a gathering, a shindig or a hootenanny?

Cordelia:What's the difference?

Oz:Well, a gathering is brie, mellow song stylings; shindig, dip, less mellow song stylings, perhaps a large amount of malt beverage; and hootenanny, well, it's chock full of hoot, just a little bit of nanny.

Edited by Happy
  • Like 3

Lived most of my life knocking around between northern limit of MA and southern limit of NJ.  I have never been to a hootenanny in all my life, but I absolutely positively now want to throw one.  Music is necessary?  Live or playlist?

Ooo! Can I come to the hootenanny? You'll want to invite some big guys because I'm pretty sure it's required for Uncle Melvin to get overly drunk and have to be carted out by some big guys and tossed into the woods to sleep it off.

• Like 2

Loving the responses!  Our discussion launched from the meaning of shindig and quickly started making comparisons/contrasts with hootenanny and hoe down!

Looks like most folks agree with my DH and DDs in that a shindig is a casual party. They even thought it had connotations of southern and/or country as well. Definitely music, dancing optional, and probably beer. What *I* would call a hootenanny.  Meanwhile, a hoe down MUST have country music and dancing.

I have never heard anyone used the term "hootennany" is anything other than jest. Do people actually say it in seriousness where you live? :confused1:

• Like 1

Shindig is not a word I've ever heard anyone use IRL.  To me it means a party on a ranch.  The cowboys and people from neighboring ranches get together for a barn dance...

I use shindig quite a lot--must be that Texas in my blood. Usually I'm just looking for another word for party. 

I have never heard anyone used the term "hootennany" is anything other than jest. Do people actually say it in seriousness where you live? :confused1:

A group of American friends would gather every Friday when we lived overseas for a hootenanny. Said very tongue in cheek. Good food (potluck style mostly) Those with guitars pulled them out and we had a singalong. Great fun. 

​If you ask any of those folks today about a hootenanny, that's the memory they will talk about. 

• Like 1

I thought that it was an old-fashioned word for a hoedown. Like an informal social party with dancing, food, and alcoholic drinks.

I'm from the midwest and I now live in the Rocky Mountain west, and I've never heard of it used in regular conversation.

:iagree:

I've never heard "hoedown" used in regular conversation, either.

A shindig is a party/get together.  It can be fancy or casual or very casual.

A hoedown would involve probably bluegrass music- banjos, guitars, fiddles,  and maybe square dancing. I think I have heard of some hoedown but in an advertised way= not people having a private party.  Shindig can be a private party or wider event.

As to hootenanny-= I think I have only read about those.  

We host occasional hootenannies. It's definitely a Bring Your Own Instrument thing. Usually we get a couple fiddles, a mandolin or two, a guitar, a banjo, and a dulcimer. My zils are unwelcome and since they're the only things I can play well, I usually focus on the food and bring one of the few people in attendance who actually grew up with that music.

For a hootenanny, the music is the whole point. You start with chairs in circles and even music stands. For a hoe down, music AND dancing are important. For a shindig, the music just sort of happens because some people always travel with their instruments, then the musicians find each other and the band grows throughout the evening, but it's background.

• Like 1