Menu

What does "shindig" mean to you. . . (Update in #51)

Pegasus

A party. There was a music/variety TV show in the 60s with that name. I guess that's where I first heard it but I'm not sure. My daughter and I use it sometimes to describe any sort of get-together. If we're having company over, she'll ask "when does this shindig start?"

I was living in western New York and then California when the TV show aired.

Edited by marbel

Casual party. However, we do sometimes refer to more formal things as a shindig with close friends kind of jokingly. Like our best friends just had a daughter get married and near the end of all the wedding planning I told my friend that I'll be glad when the shindig is over so we could resume our couples dinner dates. 

Midwest

= a party. Nothing more or less. Any party could be a shindig, although I guess maybe not a tiny low key one, more of a lively one, but not necessarily a huge or wild one. It's a casual synonym for party in my mind. 

I'm from northern VA (very urban/intellectual), but my mom grew up in Indiana and my dad in NJ, so that might have influenced my definition. 

• Like 1

A party, but with people you are very comfortable with. Expect something a bit raucous.

Eta Midwest

Raucous was exactly the word that came to my mind, too.  :)  An informal party, often with music and games.

I'm in the Midwest. 

Edited by MercyA

pnw.  a party or celebration of some sort.  what kind depends more upon who is calling it a shindig.  someone who likes understatement - it could be formal.  for someone  who is casual . . it could be an outdoor bbq.

but there must be cake . . . .

Would be a loose but large gathering, outdoors, probably a cookout/potluck thing, with beer (my mom throws "shindigs" my dad's family has "get-togethers", no beer.).  I'm from Southern Indiana which is culturally more like the South than the Midwest.

ETA- I looked through the replies and it seems that most mid-westerner's have a similar view.

Edited by foxbridgeacademy
  • Like 1

Before reading other replies...

A party, typically a large one that requires advance preparation. Often accompanied with adjectives like "big" and/or "fancy." Maybe something like a graduation ceremony, milestone birthday or anniversary, kicking cancer...something you wouldn't use an ordinary terms like "wedding" or "birthday party" to describe.

Like "bless your heart," this term can be used with all sincerity OR a touch of disdain, depending on how it's said. Like someone might think another is putting on airs or acting too big for their britches by having such a fancy affair. It's all in the tone.

Deep South/Southeast. Now off to see if my answer is even close to what others say...

ETA oh yeah, must involve music and dancing and most likely a cake or dessert fancier than popsicles and pound cake. I'm surprised that many answered it's casual. I mean, you don't always have to dress up nice but it is the sort of things people know about days or weeks in advance (and thus much chat about whether or not you'll be headin' over to RaeAnne's place for the shindig next Friday night).

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 2

Get together or a party.  Could be any size.  I've heard it referred to as a really small casual gathering on up and not have a particular connotation about the size or scale of the event.  I'm in the upper Midwest.

Usage :

"The Johnson's are having a little shindig at their house after little league for the families.  There will be snacks and soda and sprinkers for kids to run through."

"Suzie is pulling out all the stops for the birthday shindig this weekend.  Should be the town event of the decade. "

• Like 2

I use the term all the time, but now I'm struggling to define it, lol.

I feel like, when the shindig is small, the word is used to joke about its lack of formality.  And yet, when the shindig is elaborate, the word is used to joke about it NOT being low key.

So, I don't know.  I guess it's just a "jokey" word to me.  I mean, come on.  SHINDIG!

• Like 1

Party!

Can be a bit more formal than a hootenanny.

Loving the responses!  Our discussion launched from the meaning of shindig and quickly started making comparisons/contrasts with hootenanny and hoe down!

Looks like most folks agree with my DH and DDs in that a shindig is a casual party. They even thought it had connotations of southern and/or country as well. Definitely music, dancing optional, and probably beer. What *I* would call a hootenanny.  Meanwhile, a hoe down MUST have country music and dancing.

If *I* call something a shindig, it means I have to dress nicer than everyday office wear. So, a reception with clients and hors d'oeuvres with the men wearing suits and ties and women dressed equivalently.

Maybe it depends on the qualifier: "small shindig" versus "fancy shindig".

• Like 4

I thought that it was an old-fashioned word for a hoedown. Like an informal social party with dancing, food, and alcoholic drinks.

I'm from the midwest and I now live in the Rocky Mountain west, and I've never heard of it used in regular conversation.

Edited by Fifiruth