Menu

nose piercing

MegP

If you have one, could you answer a few questions for me?

How old is too old to get one (if there is even such a thing as "too old")?

How much does it hurt?

Is the "after care" difficult? I was reading on line about having to soak your nose in salt water twice a day???

When you have a cold, it is hard to blow your nose?

Would you get one if your S.O. thought they looked "trashy" and "trailer park-y?" (I am talking about a little diamond stud on the side on my nose, not a septum piercing or a ring of any kind)

Any regrets?

Thanks!

I had one at 18. I had it done at a piercing studio/tattoo parlour in the Haight, well before they were common.

No pain at all, insignificant aftercare. Just a QTip in hydrogen peroxide, I think.

I personally wouldn't have one as an adult, but make no judgment about what other people do. I do care about what my DH thinks and finds attractive, so if he was super opposed I'm certain I would reconsider. That's not the relationship we have, but I can see it's how it would shake out if it was a big deal to him.

No regrets because it closed up quickly and didn't leave a scar. I don't at all remember when I took it out, probably by the time I was 20 and stopped doing all kinds of stuff. ;)

• Like 3

I got mine pierced almost five years ago. It was something I always wanted to have done, but I knew some people in my life would judge, so it took some time to get my courage together.

No such thing as too old. If you like it, then you're just the right age!

I was super nervous about having it done, but it didn't hurt that much at all.

After care was easy. I rinsed with saline, but that was it...no soaking.

It feels a little strange to blow your nose at first, but once you get used to it, you don't even notice it.

I don't know if I would have gotten it if my dh wasn't on board, but he loves it, so that wasn't an issue.

No regrets. I still love it, and think it looks awesome!

• Like 1

I got mine at 31 on a whim. I had never wanted my nose pierced before, but decided to get it done when we got dd's ears pierced. Mine was a tiny stud - the smallest they had. It hurt quite a bit; I fainted for a short while but then I was okay. (Keep in mind, I faint every time I have my blood drawn for a blood test; I have a low pain threshold.)

Mine didn't require any special care. However, several months later, I got a cold. It was difficult to blow my nose, so I took off the stud. By the time my cold was gone, the hole had closed off. I was disappointed but didn't bother to get it pierced again.

• Like 1

No such thing as too old. Do what you want!

I can’t answer the other questions re: pain or blowing your nose because it is DD that has one, not me. My good friend has a little diamond stud and it’s very cute. She’s in her 40s.

After care was very minimal. She just wiped it daily with antibacterial stuff for a couple weeks.

DD did lose it one night in bed and it was closed up again by morning, so she had to have it re-pierced, which hurt a little more than the first time - but that could’ve been because she knew what to expect, so was a little more tense about it to start with.

• Like 1

I have a nostril piercing and a septum piercing.  I got the nostril at 19 and have gone years with nothing in it, but have had something in it regularly for the last few years.  Last year I got my septum pierced.  I'm 38.

Neither interfere with blowing my nose, as long as I don't push really hard on the stud and stab myself.  I have a straight stud with a little ball on the inside, rather than a screw.  I lose them regularly and buy them in sets of 20 on amazon.

Neither really hurt much as far as I'm concerned, and aftercare is pretty piddly.

I don't look trashy.  Punky maybe? I don't know how people see me, because I'm a homeschooling mother of (looks like today it will be 5), and I have green hair and nose rings.  Who knows.  It's fun to be incongruous, honestly.

• Like 2

Is this piercing going to be your little act of rebellion against your SO? I mean, seriously, and I'm not trying to be a jerk. If he thinks it's trashy, and you do it, are you daring him to call you trashy? And what if he does? What if he tells your kids how trashy you are? I'm all for doing whatever you want since its your life and your body, but stop for just a second and think about if this is going to have actual future ramifications for your relationship and if you *want* it to.

Signed, a person who got a piercing to spite another person ;)

• Like 5

My did had one, but grew a bump by the hole that wouldn't go away. She was doing saline rinses for months! She finally took it out after a couple years and thank goodness the bump went away.

I got mine done many years ago. The screw that was used lost its little rhinestone within the first week, and I tried to replace it but couldn't! I swear it closed up within seconds because it was so new. I tried really hard to force a new run in there but nope, it just bruised my nose.

Obviously we are in the minority, but our experiences weren't great.

Had one for a few years in college, then got it re-pierced a few years ago, when I was officialy out of the professional work for the foreseeable future.

There's defintely no "too old"

No major pain, similar to an ear piercing. Defintely go to a reputable piercing place - many good ones also do tattoos.

Like someone upthread said, you get used to it when blowing your nose, just don't poke yourself.

I don't remember after care being that significant, the usual cleaning, but nothing overly burdensome. In fact, I think I tied the twice daily cleaning to washing my face in the morning and before bed.

My DH was fully supportive, said it looks cute. I think if he didn't, I might try to to understand where we was coming from and then communicate that I wanted to do it for me and would like him to respect that, even if he wasn't a fan of it. If he was still opposed after that, not sure?

No regrets here

• Like 2

He told me that he thinks nose piercings look trashy after I told him I made an appointment. I had mentioned it the day before, but I guess he thought I would not really go through with it. So no, I wasn't doing it to  spite him. But now I am annoyed that he thinks they look "trashy" and "trailer parky" and might do it anyway. But not to spite him. I just really want one.

Edited by MegP

I do not and will never (I don't think), but I have a friend in her 30s who has a tiny little diamond thing that is at least half-way up the side of her nose and it is so tiny it's almost not noticeable. I like the way it looks on her. I can't imagine how it stays put, it looks permanent. I've never asked her about it. She wears makeup, dresses nice and always has a well-trimmed hairstyle. She doesn't really wear any other jewelry, maybe a delicate chain with a little something around her neck. 

• Like 1

Aside from “yeah, I agree that mustache reads more 70s stache and not in a good way†solicited commentary or “your short hair does not make you look like a guy,†dh and I have a “your body, you do you†kind of relationship so I doubt dh would offer up that he thought something looked trashy or something along those lines.

I had my nose pierced back in my late 20s and had it for several years right up until dd1 knocked it out with a spoon and then it felt like even if I put it back in, that it was inevitable that it would happen again. So I haven’t had one for quite awhile. I still think about getting it done again, but I can feel the scar tissue from where it closed up and I’m not sure of they can re-pierce it. Since that was the only place I wanted it, I got a tattoo instead. Dh and I got matching ones, actually.

Tattoos are way more painful to get, imo and the aftercare is far more annoying. On a scale of giving birth to stubbing your toe? Closer to the stubbing your toe end of the spectrum.

• Like 1

I got one when I was thirty. My body rejected it so hard. By the time I took it out it was good riddance.

It did hurt going in, obviously. It was surprisingly easy to forget about, even with the sniffles. It looked great :)

I got one when I was thirty. My body rejected it so hard. By the time I took it out it was good riddance.

It did hurt going in, obviously. It was surprisingly easy to forget about, even with the sniffles. It looked great :)

This is what happened with DDs ear piercings (ordinary, first typical holes). They simply WOULD NOT heal. They were horrible for months; then one day, we removed them for a soccer game because they would not allow ANY earrings whatsoever. One hour later, there was no getting those earrings back in the suddenly-invisible holes. They closed up and that was the end of earrings.

She does talk about possibly going to a tattoo shop if she wants to try again. I think that would be her only hope.

This is what happened with DDs ear piercings (ordinary, first typical holes). They simply WOULD NOT heal. They were horrible for months; then one day, we removed them for a soccer game because they would not allow ANY earrings whatsoever. One hour later, there was no getting those earrings back in the suddenly-invisible holes. They closed up and that was the end of earrings.

She does talk about possibly going to a tattoo shop if she wants to try again. I think that would be her only hope.

I got the nose piercing by a proper guy. Same experience... It wasn't infected or anything but just wouldn't heal. There was a bubble trying to grow up and over the ring at point. I took it out an the next day, no exaggerating, I couldn't even tell it'd been there at all.

I had mine done in my 30s.  I don't have it any more.

It didn't hurt much, but it was a pain to take care of.  It takes longer to heal than an earlobe, an you have to keep it really clean and not touch it.  I foolishly had it done in Fall, and it got infected in the winter when I had a cold and had to keep blowing my nose.  

I got the nose piercing by a proper guy. Same experience... It wasn't infected or anything but just wouldn't heal. There was a bubble trying to grow up and over the ring at point. I took it out an the next day, no exaggerating, I couldn't even tell it'd been there at all.

I beleive you! That was exactly our experience. I had never heard of a piercing behaving that way. I've wondered before if that means she has some sort of miraculous, super-heal skin, lol.

I beleive you! That was exactly our experience. I had never heard of a piercing behaving that way. I've wondered before if that means she has some sort of miraculous, super-heal skin, lol.

Same thing happened to me with my second set of ear piercings, after the first ones I'd had for years were done with no problem. I did have another try at the second piercing a decade later, and while it healed fine, I can't go without earrings for more than two days or it seems like I'm doing a re-piercing.

Edited by Seasider
  • Like 1

I just got a conch piercing in August (along with 3 other piercings) and I had the bubble problem.  But it's normal in a sense that it isn't anything to worry about it.  I just cleaned it even more frequently and eventually it scabbed over and fell off, like it was supposed to.  My piercings were done at the most OCD, clean-freak tattoo shop I've ever been in, and I've been in a lot :)

Is it bad that I am kind of offended by his comments and now want one more than ever?

Yes, but fwiw, I'm often in the minority.

I also really wanted my piercing, but didn't do it because of pressure from my not-yet-ex. The second we broke up, I did it as sort of a liberating thing.

Now that I'm old and grizzled, I can see that it was just one sign of the massive problems we were having. Not that you are, that was just my experience. Plus, I was 19, so we had teenage problems :p

But seriously, yes. Those are pretty judgemental things to say when he knows it's something you want and maybe you should briefly discuss feelings and whatnot. You know, stuff like why he feels that way and how his words are hurtful and ultimately how it's your body to decorate in any manner you choose.

Edited by Ailaena
  • Like 2

I just got a conch piercing in August (along with 3 other piercings) and I had the bubble problem. But it's normal in a sense that it isn't anything to worry about it. I just cleaned it even more frequently and eventually it scabbed over and fell off, like it was supposed to. My piercings were done at the most OCD, clean-freak tattoo shop I've ever been in, and I've been in a lot :)

I know it's normal, I wasn't worried. I had it for about half a year and it never healed.

My older daughter got her nose pierced. My husband is South Asian, and she looks very much like his side of the family, so for her I hope it would just look ethnic.

Having said that, she did end up developing a granuloma on the piercing site. The dermatologist had to cauterize it and that was the end of it. She no longer has that piercing. Apparently some people are prone to these, and she is one of those people.

I didn't know how common it is to be honest. My daughter is definitely prone to them. She did a belly button piercing after her nose piercing and she had to take it out for the same reason. She finally got the message through that piercing is out for her!

• Like 1

Friend got one when she was 42.  She's now 60+. :)   It's also quite common among the Pakistani women I know.  Often they do it themselves (shudder, I'd go to a piercing studio).  Aftercare seems to be pretty basic, H2O2.

I have had trouble with basic ear piercings closing up, infections, etc...so while I admire it from a far, probably not a good idea for me.

• Like 1

I got mine when I was 14, I'm 37 now, it's never closed up and I once went about 4 years without wearing it.  I don't think you're ever too old but I also have 6 (soon to be 8) tattoos and tend to be a bit of a hippie.  I don't think I'm trashy, I wear nice makeup and have great taste in clothes.  I'm educated and we fall in the middle to upper middle class range.  I say go for it.  

• Like 2