Menu

Seriously hoping others will weigh in on this thread...

I'm about to spend more money for a full educational eval. My son would rather we spend the money on a used Toyota truck for him. I guess I need to remind him to quit pretending.

I cannot recall where I read this. Maybe it was a book about executive function or Smart but Scattered? Anyhow, there are a high number of underachievers with IQs in the 120s. These individuals are bored and not challenged intellectually.

Looking back, the only people that I knew who did poorly in school usually had parents going through a divorce or they were very angry about something and had given up. These students just didn't care.

I have seen within homeschool circles, parents complaining about their child's refusal to do work. Usually the curriculum sounds like drudgery or the parent is making homeschool like the classroom.

She seemed to have a very unrealistic and almost romantic view about public school services that are provided to students with special needs. It's like she doesn't understand that the system is doing all they can not to help. I can only wish that more evidence-based instruction was provided to students.

• Like 1

My 7 yo is likely dyslexic.  She is incredibly inconsistent and always has been.  One minute she knows something and the next it is gone.  I guarantee that she is not faking.  I am quite certain that she would give her right arm to not struggle.  And I would give both of mine to take the struggles for her. 

This woman's posts made me angrier than I recall being in quite some time.

Don't let her get to you too much, she obviously had something wrong with her, had an agenda of some kind, or both.  We asked her direct questions but her responses were always just making even more bizarre statements and linking to more information that didn't make sense...she couldn't actually respond appropriately to legitimate questions.  That isn't normal.  Plus there are some really obvious things she got totally wrong and her attempts to defend her mis-statements made no sense either.  She repeatedly used terms incorrectly...the list goes on and on.  Really, don't let her get to you too much...she's not worth it.  

• Like 2

Don’t feed the trolls.

Unless you just feel like having some fun. ;)

Well I'm bummed I missed out on the fun. 

Maybe she had a little too much to drink and got punch-happy with the keyboard? I mean, it's a Friday night... I was cleaning house for my company, but I guess a bored prof who lives in a theoretical world might sit around thinking about this stuff and want to get a little crazy and set the world straight.

It's ok for someone on the internet to be wrong. It's ok for it to be a true statistic for THEIR world and their experience and have NO CONNECTION to our realities and how we work. Homeschooling, sometimes, is like this totally other universe. We regularly magic and make happen things the ps system says are impossible.

The difference between us and professionals is we're ALL IN. If we're wrong, we're still gonna be here the next month, the next year, and the following year, and we're gonna fix it and eventually get it right. And if they're wrong, they have no consequences but still get a paycheck and move on. I'm pretty tired of professionals who can say things with no consequences, no accountability.

• Like 5

Well I'm bummed I missed out on the fun. 

Maybe she had a little too much to drink and got punch-happy with the keyboard? I mean, it's a Friday night... I was cleaning house for my company, but I guess a bored prof who lives in a theoretical world might sit around thinking about this stuff and want to get a little crazy and set the world straight.

It's ok for someone on the internet to be wrong. It's ok for it to be a true statistic for THEIR world and their experience and have NO CONNECTION to our realities and how we work. Homeschooling, sometimes, is like this totally other universe. We regularly magic and make happen things the ps system says are impossible.

The difference between us and professionals is we're ALL IN. If we're wrong, we're still gonna be here the next month, the next year, and the following year, and we're gonna fix it and eventually get it right. And if they're wrong, they have no consequences but still get a paycheck and move on. I'm pretty tired of professionals who can say things with no consequences, no accountability.

Thanks for this.  Very well said.   :iagree:

I have had a rather up and down day so I kept deleting my follow up detailed posts.  I felt the snark was getting pretty thick from my end and not furthering any actual dialogue.  I really appreciated the cupcakes and kilts, though.  It may not have been "appropriate" but it lightened the load on my brain.  LOL.

I don't have a lot of patience for misinformation-especially when it puts children at risk. Treating special needs children like they are faking instead of trying to help them makes my blood boil. Coming here to tell us about it was confusing but fortunately most people saw through it. I don't care if "someone is wrong on the internet ". I do care if this person truly is working with kids in a school. Hopefully that part was wrong too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I can't view the post but I'm gathering that the OP needed a little ego boost and sharing her "expert" opinion with some know-nothing homeschoolers did the job for her.

I WISH my son was just faking. I hate that he struggles so much to remember skills from one day to the next and that, even when I finally think he has mastered something, he'll start making errors that demonstrate that he never understood the concept. And forgetting concepts is pretty typical with Down syndrome and other special needs. That's basic. Come on, OP, you're better than that...or maybe not. :(

I'm glad I missed it. I'd probably have been livid and not held my tongue like I try to do most of the time.

• Like 3

I can't view the post but I'm gathering that the OP needed a little ego boost and sharing her "expert" opinion with some know-nothing homeschoolers did the job for her.

I WISH my son was just faking. I hate that he struggles so much to remember skills from one day to the next and that, even when I finally think he has mastered something, he'll start making errors that demonstrate that he never understood the concept. And forgetting concepts is pretty typical with Down syndrome and other special needs. That's basic. Come on, OP, you're better than that...or maybe not. :(

I'm glad I missed it. I'd probably have been livid and not held my tongue like I try to do most of the time.

Exactly.  

And hugs.