Menu

Geography/Social Studies workbook for 6th grade?

Anybody got a favorite geography/social studies workbook for 6th grade? 

We've always done history & lit the WTM way, but I can see that there are a few holes: basic map reading skills, reading charts and graphs about population, weather & climate, stuff like that. I think dd would enjoy a well-done workbook that covered more of the practical, day to day aspects of geography & mapping.

I'm looking at the Spectrum 5th grade workbook and The Geography Book. Would love to hear reviews of these or if there is something else like this that you've used and liked.

I like the looks of your choice of combo of Geography Book + Spectrum grade 5 workbook. :)

Geography workbooks we used in middle school grades:

The Carson-Dellosa Discovering the World of Geography books for gr. 5-6 (U.S.), gr. 6-7 (Western Hemisphere, and gr. 7-8 (Eastern Hemisphere) are not only mapping/charting skills, but require some actual critical thinking and interpreting skills. These are available at Amazon and Rainbow Resource. We used the gr. 6-7 and gr. 7-8 when DSs were in middle school grades, and I was pleased that they were more than just fill-in-the-blank workbooks.

For straight-up map (and chart and graph) skills practice, we used the good ole MCP Maps, Charts, Graphs series. They are great are short enough that we did 1 per semester (I think that worked out to about two 2-page spread per week). There is a slight incremental step between grade levels, but it was not a problem to work one grade level up or down from DSs current grade level, in order to do 2 workbooks per year. Some of the workbooks go together very well thematically. For example:

D (grade 4) - States & Regions

E (grade 5) - US and neighbors

F (grade 6) - Eastern Hemisphere 

G (grade 7) - World

It looks like the Spectrum work book is 90 pages compared to 65 pages in the grade 5 MCP Maps Charts and Graphs, and the Carson-Dellosa is more text heavy and "visually gray" and runs to 115 pages. The Evan-Moor Daily Geography is more scheduled, and is set up for 150 pages over 36 weeks.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

We are using Maps, Charts and Graphs and the Geography Coloring book.  Honestly I am not a huge fan of either. The print quality is really poor on the MCG books and sometimes the maps are very hard to read. I don't like the coloring book because there is not enough offset from the binding and it will not lie flat.  I know, very picky.  =)

Before this we had used Scholastic Success with Maps (download--$1 during their sale) but it only goes through grade 5.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We began using The Geography Book last year and overall I've like it but it isn't something I could hand over to the kids and have them to (4th and 5th grades last year).  We plan to complete it this year.  Out of all the geography things we've tried, I've liked this the best in terms of introducing them to concepts about physical geography.