Menu

Wedding attire? Midwest outdoor evening wedding in November

three4me

Overalls and a Woolrich coat? [emoji23]

Seriously, I think I would look for a wool dress to wear with thick tights and knee-high boots. Add a nice scarf - maybe with some glittery bits? - and call it good. It's going to be casual-ish if it's outdoors and held in a barn.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I am really curious what part of the Midwest someone decided to have a wedding in November that it was going to include a barn. Because that time a year can really have some rough weather in parts of the Midwest.

No doubt. We have had snow by that time more often than not.

Maybe this is a significantly warmer part of the midwest than where I grew up, but I can remember early-November blizzards! Also 110% gorgeously cool, crisp, sunny days - maybe they're angling for that?. But mostly dank and rainy days.

Anyway, yeah, layers. I think I'd wear a sleeveless (for when the barn gets hot from all the dancing) wool (breathable) sheath dress with something to cover my arms, plus tights and boots. I'd pack comfy ballet flats in case my feet got sore or my legs got hot. Also a big overcoat and/or poncho, gloves, umbrella, cute dressy hat, scarf. You might not need all this, but I need to keep my head and neck warm to prevent migraines. Maybe even keep a lap blanket in the car, just in case. People bring them to autumn sporting events, after all.

Check with the wedding planner and with the venue to see what they recommend for attire.  Ask if there is an alternative location planned for the ceremony if the weather turns foul (for outdoor events there usually is).  "The Midwest" is a pretty large area with a lot of variation in climate and weather, so it is hard to advise specifically.

My DH and I got married around that time of year, and we had an outdoor ceremony.  We had made arrangements with our reception venue to use them as a backup plan for the ceremony, should the weather prove uncooperative.  The weather did indeed look like it was going to rain us out, but it cleared for us in the last hour or so and we had a gorgeous day.

I'm still stressing about this. I ordered a couple solid color dresses from Amazon. Plain leggings under? Patterned? And now I need a coat and boots. And clothes for the rest of the family. 😩

And we live in an area that gets down to about 60 in the winter. I hate buying all this stuff that will only get used once!

We had a nephew get married in a barn in the upper midwest Memorial Day weekend a few years back. It was soooo cold to this GA girl. So, so cold that time of year. But inside the (swanky, for events) barn, it was toasty. I say go for the layers. When we visit family in the midwest, they all keep their houses/stores/inside places much warmer than we do, but the outside is much colder. Layers help.

Edited by Zinnia

Can you give a bit more specific location? It can vary wildly in the Midwest from area to area as well as day to day.

This Oct in West Michigan we have had 90° days but I remember years where we have had 8 inches of snow overnight at this time of year.

• Like 1

I'm still stressing about this. I ordered a couple solid color dresses from Amazon. Plain leggings under? Patterned? And now I need a coat and boots. And clothes for the rest of the family. 😩

And we live in an area that gets down to about 60 in the winter. I hate buying all this stuff that will only get used once!

See if you can borrow winter gear from someone else who had to buy it once and keeps it in the closet "just in case". If you're in Houston, pm me and you can borrow my stash.

Can you give a bit more specific location? It can vary wildly in the Midwest from area to area as well as day to day.

This Oct in West Michigan we have had 90° days but I remember years where we have had 8 inches of snow overnight at this time of year.

North Dakota.

The couple does not currently live there or have farming family members, so I'm pretty sure this is a barn converted into a reception hall.

Check thredup.com for nice stuff at a reasonable price. It's an online thrift shop.

Maybe long sleeved velvet dress, with sweater, leggings, shoes?

I assume it will be heated, but I'd have no problem bringing a second sweater, scarf, hat, gloves, etc.

Yes to this.

Good grief. You could have anything from a sunny 59 degrees to a blizzard. Or in some parts of the Midwest, most likely a cold gray rain.

I'd dress for Scotland, in layers as suggested upthread. Some sort of tote bag for accessories like sunglasses, hand warmers, umbrella, poncho, flask of whiskey...

And this.

I think for a wedding your supposed to have patent leather snowshoes.  If snowshoes are needed that is ...

Barn converted into reception halls are becoming more common and very popular here in the midwest.  There are some beautiful conversions...all heated and air conditioned.  Is there a website for the venue?  I wouldn't worry about wearing something particular for the setting.  We have been to some wonderful and beautiful receptions in them that are very comfortable.  The only caveat is if the barn is a private person's property and they are just dressing it up for that occasion...then that's another story.

Can you call the parents of bride or groom or someone else and just ask for attire suggestions?

I am not really getting the outside, in November, in North Dakota thing. At least in Michigan most of the barn venues for receptions are heated, having running water, etc.