Menu

Two questions about moving to Canada or UK

ktgrok

It is easier to get the job first. If the company hires your husband knowing his foreign status, they should sort all the immigration for you.

Not necessarily. That wasn't the case for us when we moved to Canada, nor could they help at all with relocation costs.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 1

We live in Europe, by my husband works as a civilian for the US Dpartment of Defense. So we are not immigrants, and don't qualify for social benefits, of course. However, we can use local doctors and they are paid by our US insurance. We could also get a local policy, or just pay out of pocket as the costs are lower. I am not allowed to work on the economy, butnour kids could use local schools. We get housing allowance and they paid for us to move here. Dependents will be moved if they are not yet 21.

We are covered under SOFA: the Status of Forces Agreement. It is what binds me to US law and not Belgian law when it comes to things like homeschooling.

My friend's husband works here as a contractor and they are not covered under SOFA. She does not get an APO address, tax-free grocery shopping, or fuel rations, nor any help with housing contracts. She has to obey Belgian education law, and she ended up enrolling her kids in a cover school since they can't pass the tests in French. The government wants her to take assimilation classes. She really misses out on the perks.

So an easier, faster, more streamlined process would be for your dh to apply for a federal job through USAJobs. I'm sure cyber security has a lot of options.

• Like 1

I know a family (from TX) who lived in the UK for the past 6 years. Approximately 3 weeks ago, they moved to the EU. He was transferred from TX to the UK for his job. I am certain his company paid for the Attorneys who did the work to obtain their Visas. At that time, they had 3 children under the age of 18. I am almost positive their eldest child is now over 18. I remember that the paperwork was *extremely* invasive when they applied for their visas. They were very happy living in the UK.

I do not have the answer to your question about a family member over the age of 18 being able to get a visa to live there, along with the rest of the family. That's a good question to ask...

GOOD LUCK!

For the record, the UK is for the moment still part of the EU. It has declared the intention to leave but has not done so yet.

• Like 2

I'm sorry to butt in where I have no stake, but I am curious about the healthcare. Do expats get to come aboard the universal healthcare in the UK (or elsewhere)? It would seem like there would be some residency requirement for a period of a couple years at least. But I know nothing about such things, so I'm curious.

• Like 2

Ireland?

Lots of tech companies have offices there.

Cities are expensive and infrastructure a bit shaky. But the SOL is good enough.

Lots of culture, though, and wounds that were never allowed to heal properly. If you aren't of Irish descent, I think you would want to read up a bit about the history of the country from the perspective of its citizens or at least rock out to Sinead O'Connor instead of just buying green clothes and learning how to take care of shamrocks.

:'(

That is ONE cool European country I have (brief in the context of tourist)first hand lived experience with, but I feel too biased because of weird supernatural/religious stuff I don't want to talk about. It's a potato thang and an Irish American thang and a sad thang and quite possibly a "one drop rule" thang, but not a bad thang; I'd never want a nationality great-great-i-hate-math-grandparent transplant or to become upwardly nationality great-great-i-hate-math-grandparent mobile, lol.

Edited by Guest

I'm sorry to butt in where I have no stake, but I am curious about the healthcare. Do expats get to come aboard the universal healthcare in the UK (or elsewhere)? It would seem like there would be some residency requirement for a period of a couple years at least. But I know nothing about such things, so I'm curious.

Once you are legally resident, you qualify. I think overseas people on visas have to pay a one off fee though.https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-overseas-visitors-hospital-charging-regulations/summary-of-changes-made-to-the-way-the-nhs-charges-overseas-visitors-for-nhs-hospital-care

https://www.gov.uk/healthcare-immigration-application/how-much-pay

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

For the record, the UK is for the moment still part of the EU. It has declared the intention to leave but has not done so yet.

Laura, can I verify my sources with you privately via PM sometime? I don't understand Brexit enough to consider myself qualified to cast a ballot if I had the right to do so which I don't, but I know enough to understand that it would be analagous to putting a campaign bumper sticker in my sig line during a US Presidential election.

If I've locked myself into a "google bubble", I am perfectly capable of clawing myself out, I just need to pump you for information and personal opinions, lol.

And ftr, I ALWAYS read the negative reviews before I buy the book and have found some real treasures just by paying attention to WHY some people don't like them and repeating "different strokes for different folks" like a mantra.

Aw, gollygeewhitakers Katie, just reply or PM me if you want me to fork this thread. That's not a euphemism for a cuss word, it just means that you seem to have uncovered a need that is bigger than your DH's issue and people want to talk about it.

OP take a close look at post #54.   I had mentioned the possibility of your DH working for some branch or department of the U.S. Government overseas. Huge numbers of jobs available. The drawback is that one must pay U.S. Income Tax, if one is a U.S. Government employee,  but there are a lot of "pluses" and probably the U.S. Income Tax rate would be lower, for example, than many or most countries in Europe? 

When I looked into working in Europe on a temporary job assignment, I would have been like her friends DH, without the benefits U.S. government employees get, and on my own, to fend for myself.

IMPORTANT that the employer who wants to bring your husband in pay for the Attorneys who will arrange the Visas, etc.

NOTE: The family I know from TX, his company paid some things for them that they did not pay him in TX, to make up for the higher cost of living, etc.

Get everything in writing in a written contract. Do not permit anything ambiguous.

OT: Approximately 2008 or 2009, one morning the phone rang in our house in Colombia. DD answered the phone.  It was a job shop Recruiter in the UK, calling me (in Colombia) about a temporary contract assignment in MI, for a  project on an Airbus Cargo Door.  I don't think that company in MI got the contract. The Recruiter told me I had one of the best resumes he'd seen, which astonished me, because I had no recent working experience...  The Bottom Line is that now with the Internet and low cost phone calls, it is a very small world. 

Laura, how are things for the Muslim community there? One of my tech friends is acting like it wouldn't be much of an improvement from the good ol' USA right now, but it could just be me reading too much into family problems and stress about all y'all's new patent and copyright laws.

Pot kettle black on Net Neutrality and FCC and ISP's spying on our browsing habits, lol. Please don't ask me questions about South Africa or the Netherlands if you can see my IP; we didn't move or buy a private jet, it's just a VPN aka computer dude thingamuthingy, lol.

Edited by Guest

Sure, IEF, but I'm not an expert. I'm so much disgusted by the whole Brexit affair that I'm not paying close attention.

I'm so disgusted myself that I realized I'm only hearing one voice and he's a young dude who may well know a lot more about tech than politics.

If you can't stand him and don't mind going into more detail than "because anybody in their right mind knows he's an idiot, moran!" I would be eternally grateful.

That is, if you wouldn't rather spend your time on a netflix not-kodi/not-popcorntime/UK Netflix/AmazonPrime streaming marathon or something.

I'm sorry, IEF, I live in a very white part of the country. You'd be better off with a cross section of newspapers than my opinion on life as a Muslim in the UK.

I am horrified by Brexit. I think we are so much stronger politically and economically inside than out. I also think that some very nasty fears have been played on to cause people to choose Brexit.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

I'm sorry, IEF, I live in a very white part of the country. You'd be better off with a cross section of newspapers than my opinion.

Thank you for your honesty, Laura. I have tech friends of non-US/non-UK nationalities who I could ask too, I just don't really like to advertise my location on the internet under normal circumstances.

So.... I used to work at CIC and I'd say this is not quite accurate. I wouldn't flag it. 

People have immigrated and then their adult children come to study at university here. It's not really a flag for anything. The adult child who is on the student authorization has to qualify on their own merits but they're treated as an adult - so long as they have funds to support themselves, it's fine but after their schooling is over, they have to leave. 

Of course the adult kids later can apply for work authorizations or to immigrate on their own as well, or for more student authorizations to study in grad school.  

Once they're no longer a dependent and not eligible to immigrate with you, they're just judged on their own application. 

Thanks for clarifying that.  I was thinking more along the way the OP worded it as having them all apply at the same time and the 18yo applying for a student visa then.   This is only anecdotal, but I do know a family who tried to do that exact same thing so their 18yo could be in the country with them, but the 18yo was rejected for his student visa.  They were told that it was directly related to the family applying the way they did.  Of course, there's likely more to the story than just that, but I wouldn't want anyone to think they can try to play the system on technicalities when their intentions aren't in alignment with policies.  I'm not trying to discouraging a family from immigrating, but I do think they should be aware that trying to skirt around policies isn't likely to unfold well for them. 

• Like 2

This is something my dh and I talk about a lot as he is from Scotland. His parents both have terminal illnesses (Alhemizer's and cancer) so he would like to go back with us as a family for the kids to have time with them before they are too far gone.

What are good websites for these amazing government jobs?

Technically (from our research/understanding), my dh does not need any visa to work in the UK even though he is now a US citizen. Apparently, from what he was told, the only way you give up UK citizenship is to go before someone at the embassy and renounce it (which he has no intention of doing). His main concern would be bringing the rest of us over with him.

I don't know how visas work in detail, but I do know that he would have to be able to prove sufficient income to support you if he wanted you all to come as residents without your being citizens.

You should probably also research whether your children are automatically British joint nationals anyway and therefore need no visa. I'm not clear on the details of that. If they were, they would need UK passports, rather than visas

Edited by Laura Corin

This is something my dh and I talk about a lot as he is from Scotland. His parents both have terminal illnesses (Alhemizer's and cancer) so he would like to go back with us as a family for the kids to have time with them before they are too far gone.

What are good websites for these amazing government jobs?

Technically (from our research/understanding), my dh does not need any visa to work in the UK even though he is now a US citizen. Apparently, from what he was told, the only way you give up UK citizenship is to go before someone at the embassy and renounce it (which he has no intention of doing). His main concern would be bringing the rest of us over with him.

Jobs-

http://federalgovernmentjobs.us/job-locations.html

https://www.usajobs.gov (Official gov site)

Bringing family over has to do with home country laws. They're maybe similar to US citizens. U.K. Spouses can apply for citizenship https://www.gov.uk/becoming-a-british-citizen/if-your-spouse-is-a-british-citizen

I don't think student visas are that hard to get as long as you are actually a student.  Most colleges and universities here are very activly looking for non-Canadian students to apply.

The trickier question would be what the situation might be afterwards.

Edited by Bluegoat
  • Like 1

Thanks for clarifying that.  I was thinking more along the way the OP worded it as having them all apply at the same time and the 18yo applying for a student visa then.   This is only anecdotal, but I do know a family who tried to do that exact same thing so their 18yo could be in the country with them, but the 18yo was rejected for his student visa.  They were told that it was directly related to the family applying the way they did.  Of course, there's likely more to the story than just that, but I wouldn't want anyone to think they can try to play the system on technicalities when their intentions aren't in alignment with policies.  I'm not trying to discouraging a family from immigrating, but I do think they should be aware that trying to skirt around policies isn't likely to unfold well for them. 

Bolded...  That probably applies to any country. When I attended a meeting for U.S. Citizens in the city of Cali, I think that was 2008 or 2009, 3 people came from the U.S. Embassy in Bogota. One of them was the lady who was at that time in charge of the Visa Fraud section.  Visa Fraud is quite common...