Menu

Hoffman Academy - Piano

We love it and have been doing it intermittently for 2 years and in earnest for 6 months or so. We did the Kickstarter and so we use the premium membership. Each school day I have them do whatever is next on their account, whether that's a video lesson or practice session. It is very open and go for us.

The girls love Mr. Hoffman. He reminds me of Fred Rogers. He's just so happy and dorky and seems to legitimately love what he does. He makes the lessons fun.

He's very thorough and we like the lessons. I would say I wish there was a bit more sight reading, but I can see that he's starting to increase that for my older girls level and I have trust in him. I also wish there was a bit more built in practice, but it seems OK so far and all 3 of my kids are keeping up.

It is very open and go, very flexible, requires barely more from me than normal lessons would, and my kids almost never whine about piano time. Honestly, it is my ideal situation. I'd give it a 9 out of 10. I have recommended it to people in real life.

Edited by Meagan S
  • Like 3

We love it, and my friends who teach piano say the instruction is excellent. They admitted they expected to see a number of problems (e.g., form) when they observed my kids, but the couldn't find a single flaw in their technique or form, and that gave me a lot more confidence using it. I have one child who started 2+ years ago and is in Unit 6, and another child who started 5 months ago and is in unit 5 already. I recommend it highly to everyone who asks me about piano!

• Like 2

We love it, and my friends who teach piano say the instruction is excellent. They admitted they expected to see a number of problems (e.g., form) when they observed my kids, but the couldn't find a single flaw in their technique or form, and that gave me a lot more confidence using it. I have one child who started 2+ years ago and is in Unit 6, and another child who started 5 months ago and is in unit 5 already. I recommend it highly to everyone who asks me about piano!

Do you use the free version or the paid subscription? 

• Like 1

Do you use the free version or the paid subscription? 

Neither, honestly. lol. Since we have long stretches of going without internet, I downloaded all their videos (I checked with them to make sure they were ok with that and they said that that was perfectly legit) and paid for the family license (up to 4 single licenses) of their complete materials for Units 1-6. It was around $150, but we've used it for long enough to feel like it's worth it, even with only two kids currently playing, and even more so if the other two take it up down the road. I know I don't get ALL the goodies that would come with a paid subscription, and I'm ok with that, but I was just reinventing the wheel trying to make my own print materials, and theirs really are very good so I feel it's been a good investment to get their print materials (whether that's  via a one time purchase of the complete materials or a monthly subscription would just depend on your circumstances, I think).

• Like 1

My 8 year old has been using it for about a year and is now on Unit 3.  We backed the Kickstarter, so we have a premium membership.

I have been very pleased with the lessons; they seem incredibly thorough.  I like the worksheets and the practice audio tracks.  DS loves the finger puppets.

The only problem we have is that sometimes it moves a little too fast.  It feels like DS needs a bit more practice than is built in, so I find myself having to stay on top of the lessons so that I can scaffold his progress...ie notice that he is struggling with a step and have him stop moving forward for a few days until he has caught up.

I aim to have him play piano for 15-20 minutes a day.  Normally one or two steps fit nicely into this allotted time, but other times I just have to cut him off and have him start where he left off the next day.

Wendy

• Like 1

We also started through the Kickstarter campaign so we have the premium membership. I love it because it is such a thorough music education. He incorporates so many things that were missing with previous instruction, like developing the ear to hear, melodic dictation, learning the pentascales and how to transpose the music. He also teaches them how to improvise.

I love how each practice session is clearly laid out, so there is no guessing as to what is required for daily practice.

I would say definitely give it a try.

• Like 1

We have the paid subscription for my three. Ds (7th) has steadily moved through it and seems to pick up on the lessons pretty quickly. Dd1 (4th) seems to pick up on things slower than all three of my kids, but she has been moving forward. Dd2 tends to fly through the lessons if I don’t keep a keen eye on her. I have bumped her back a couple of times for further review.

My kids do some combination of a Hoffman lesson/practice session or individually review the pieces they’re working on at least five days a week.

We love it here. :D

• Like 1

My oldest has been using it since last September, but he took the summer off. I bought the premium for all my kids during the Kickstarter. Oldest is about halfway through unit 3. He works for 10 min per day on Monday through Friday. I usually sit with him during the lesson portion so that I can make sure he is getting it. I also sometimes need to pause and let him practice, providing scaffolding as pp said, before getting back to it. Practice sessions have been open and go, nearly independent. Ds and I both love Mr. Hoffman. We may eventually move to lessons, but this has probably saved me thousands of dollars and countless hours of agony in trying to get a toddler to sit still and be quiet for big brother to take lessons outside the home. I plan to keep with it as long as we can. My littler kids will probably start next year.

• Like 2