Menu

Flylady Support Building Control Journal, Tues Oct 3 and Wed Oct 4...

3 ladybugs

Good morning Flyminds! 

Welcome to the Flylady support thread. To find out what Flylady is: http://www.flylady.net/ You can also find people on YouTube if you search for it.

Please join in on the fun!

We have completed the baby steps found here: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/659360-flylady-baby-step-31-sunday-october-1/

Welcome to the Build a Control Journal series!

There are 15 steps to build a Control Journal. You may find that you need all 15 steps, you may find that you only need a few, you may find that you need something that is not listed here. The choice is yours and no one is going to grade you on this. So have fun and let’s get to it!

The steps:

1. Get your supplies.

Second step is to…

Do a basic set up. http://www.flylady.net/d/getting-started/flying-lessons/control-journal/step-2/

(From the website)

These are the dividers for your control journal. As you progress through the 15 steps, you will gradually fill each section of your control journal. Remember: baby steps and keep it simple!

• Daily routines and reminders – this is where you list all your daily routines (Morning Routine, Afternoon Routine, Before-Bed routine, etc.)

• Basic Weekly Plan – this is where you put your weekly appointments with yourself! If you don’t know what a basic weekly plan is, visit the “Basic Weekly Plan†section in the FLYing Lesson for Routines. For this section, you’ll need a sheet of paper labeled for each day of the week.

• Menus and grocery list – this is where you’ll plan your menus for the week as well as the grocery lists you’ll need for each meal

• Address Book – this is a section for contact information of friends, family, businesses you use, etc.

• Personal section – this is where your happiness file and things about you go!

• Emergency numbers – doctors, police department, schools, etc.

• Then, have some additional dividers for your own personal sections

Basic weekly plan (from the website)

Monday: Weekly Home Blessing (8–9 a.m.)

1. Get up and get dressed to shoes

2. Laundry

3. Weekly Home Blessing Hour

1. Cull/toss old magazines

2. Change sheets

3. Empty all the trash

4. Vacuum all rooms

5. Mop kitchen and bath

6. Clean mirrors and doors

7. Dust

Tuesday: Free Day

1. Water and fertilize plants

2. Spend 15 minutes in current zone

Wednesday: Zone Cleaning and Partial Desk Time

1. Finish Zone Cleaning Chores.

2. Remainder Weekly Cleaning.

3. Make sure refrigerator is clean.

4. Write thank-you notes.

5. Work on menus and grocery list for next week.

6. Balance check book before going shopping.

Thursday: Grocery and Errand Day

1. Make sure menus are planned before you go shopping.

2. Check grocery list one last time before you walk out the door. Take your list with you.

3. Grocery Day.

4. Errand Day:

1. Library.

2. Post office.

3. Buy gifts and cards.

4. Buy candles.

Friday: Paperwork and Misc.

1. Be romantic today.

2. Get food from the freezer for next week.

3. File papers.

4. Write letters and cards.

5. Clean out purse.

6. Mend clothes and polish shoes.

7. Pet care (Flea and Heart Meds).

8. Clean out car and check fluids.

9. Clean laundry room.

Weekend

Yeah! It’s the weekend! Time for the weekend dance! LOL! Have some fun! – FlyLady

Friday is “Date Night†– do something special with your sweetie!

Saturday is “Family Fun Day†– enjoy the day with your family!

Sunday is “Renew Your Spirit Day†– relax and reflect on the past week, as well as what is to come.

Weekly checklist (from the website)

Kitchen:

1. Scrub floor

2. Wash area rugs

3. Clean out refrigerator

4. Replace foil on drip pans

5. Sweep decks

Bathrooms:

1. Polish mirror

2. Empty trash

3. Mop floor

4. Change vacuum bag

Bedrooms:

1. Clean mirror

2. Vacuum carpet

3. Dust

4. Change sheets

Living room, dining room, family room:

1. Dust

2. Vacuum

3. Clean mirrors

4. Cull old magazines and newspapers

Paperwork and Miscellaneous Duties

1. Plan menu for next week

2. Write letters and cards

3. Clean out purse

4. Water and fertilize plants

5. Polish shoes and mend clothes

6. Pet care (flea treatment, medications)

7. Clean out car

8. Straighten laundry room

9. Errands (grocery store, library, post office)

This can be a bit overwhelming. So if you would like me to make this 2 days, please let me know. Just so you know, I did not do all of these steps and I honestly see my control journal as a work in progress. So if it is overwhelming, set it aside and come back to it later. Overwhelming is NEVER a good thing!

Also this is just the dividers.

My dividers right now are:

1. Daily routines
  2. Weekly blessing hour
  3. Weekly daily things (things I do not every day, but not once a week)
  4. Zone Cleaning
  5. Recipes

That is all I have right now. This can be a work in progress and mine certainly is!

Edited by 3 ladybugs
  • Like 2

Good morning! My eldest woke up about 4:30 and woke up everyone in the house biologically related to him. Ugg! So I am going to have a FUN day today! Yuck!

I have decided to combine yesterday and today's thread. So this should bump this thread. :) 

I hope everyone has a good day today!

• Like 2

I put together my control journal a few years ago, but it wasn't ever functional for me. I put my calendar in the front of the binder, and I take that everywhere with me. But I never got the household stuff under control in it. It is time to rethink it. Basically I carry around a giant binder with very little useful info and a lot of unnecessary stuff. But I don't have time to do it this week. Dh is out of town. I will try to do it in baby steps over the next couple of weeks. I am trying to get my flylady going again as the holidays are drawing near, and the school year is going on a decent routine again. 

• Like 2

I put together my control journal a few years ago, but it wasn't ever functional for me. I put my calendar in the front of the binder, and I take that everywhere with me. But I never got the household stuff under control in it. It is time to rethink it. Basically I carry around a giant binder with very little useful info and a lot of unnecessary stuff. But I don't have time to do it this week. Dh is out of town. I will try to do it in baby steps over the next couple of weeks. I am trying to get my flylady going again as the holidays are drawing near, and the school year is going on a decent routine again. 

What if you had something smaller? I am assuming you had a normal size binder. 

I made this early this summer and this is what I carry around with me. I call it a travelers notebook... I guess that would be the best description for it. I have since laminated the covers of the books but it is essentially the same. I use that with my "household journal". The household one, doesn't leave the house. My travelers notebook does. 

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your traveler's notebook! I didn't realize you meant it quite literally when you said that you made it!  Wow!

I like to sew and I needed something. So therefore it was born. I looked EVERYWHERE to find one made, if for no other reason then to get ideas, but no one had anything. So I took my idea and did it myself. That is sort of how I am. I use it daily. I also store coupons in that back area so they are always with me. Didn't plan on that when I was making it, but it works well. 

• Like 1

I do like that, but for me, I like the full size binder, because that is what I carry my calendar in. I need the fuller size calendar. I am coordinating girl scouts that I lead, church classes that I teach, and two different co-ops that I teach in, etc. in that binder. I have sections for those with the proper paperwork that I take with me everywhere. I need it all in one to coordinate onto the one calendar and to be able to check it wherever I am before committing to something. I much prefer paper than an app on the phone. I am just that way. I also have sections in the book for Christmas ideas and lists. It is wonderful to have that at my fingertips while out and about whenever something hits me. I am on the go constantly, working at different places while the kids are classes or while I am out teaching. So I can pull out my books and work wherever I am. But I need to rethink the household lists and shopping lists. The book is too big to carry into walmart most of the time. 

I do like the idea of a smaller notebook for just the house stuff separate from my out of the house stuff. Maybe I could keep them together in my bag that goes everywhere, but I could pull the smaller one out to go into Walmart and the grocery store?? Giving me some thoughts. Thank you. 

• Like 2

I often have a bag with LOTS of stuff in the vehicle and another bag I take in with me at each stop during the day. Between locations I restock the bag I carry to have what's needed at the next place.  It's much better than lugging around papers etc that I don't need right then.

Edited by Woodland Mist Academy