Menu

Prepped Food Delivery Services

dancingmama

I'm sure this has been talked about in the past but I could not find anything...

Anyone tried prepped food delivery services like Blue Apron and Hello Fresh? Any others out there? What did you like/not like?

I need to get our food intake under control in our house but our busy schedule, and my lack of food skills, is making things hard. Would love any input.

Thx

I haven't done these. What I do is subscribe to once a month meals and create a menu of five meals -- one difficult, one medium, and three easy prep. It has a huge database of meal recipes and once you've created the menu you print off shopping lists, prep instructions, and cooking instructions.  All stuff I could do myself using outside recipes, but having them all in one place and having the chopping instructions and cooking instructions in an ordered list makes my life easier. And it automatically scales to the amount of servings.   I just prep the five meals (doubled) on Sundays and the other two days we get take out or pizza.  Our evening extracurriculars are crazy so even if I did blue apron or something else I wouldn't actually be home to prepare it. As it is I'm defrosting at 3 pm and leaving it for everyone else to eat on their own time frame!

It's still a little pricey for what it is, but we eat SO much better than we used to.  

• Like 2

I haven't done these. What I do is subscribe to once a month meals and create a menu of five meals -- one difficult, one medium, and three easy prep. It has a huge database of meal recipes and once you've created the menu you print off shopping lists, prep instructions, and cooking instructions. All stuff I could do myself using outside recipes, but having them all in one place and having the chopping instructions and cooking instructions in an ordered list makes my life easier. And it automatically scales to the amount of servings. I just prep the five meals (doubled) on Sundays and the other two days we get take out or pizza. Our evening extracurriculars are crazy so even if I did blue apron or something else I wouldn't actually be home to prepare it. As it is I'm defrosting at 3 pm and leaving it for everyone else to eat on their own time frame!

It's still a little pricey for what it is, but we eat SO much better than we used to.

Thanks! I'm hoping the prepped food will be a short term thing for us and we get into better habits and learn some skills. This might be a nice next step!

I use Hello Fresh and have even given out some free boxes on this board when HF gives them to me. The only thing I have now is a discount. You'd get $40 off your first box and the regular price is $60.

The only complaint I have is that I received a bad batch of broccoli. It wasn't a healthy green. I went onto their site and talked to a rep who immediately credited my account with $10 so my next box was only $50. I didn't think that was bad. I've not had problems with any other dishes. So far I've only found one I didn't like but my DH loved it. It had tomato sauce and a can of diced tomatoes. That's just too much tomatoes for me. 

Honestly, the service is expensive but we're really enjoying it. We get two boxes a month and skip the weeks we don't want. Each week there are 8 dishes to choose from. You pick the 3 you want. If you don't want a week, you have to skip the week. If you do not skip a week, they will go on and send you a weekly box with their 3 choices. There is no contract so you can cancel at any time.

• Like 1

We use Blue Apron.  It may not be the best for you with a busy schedule.  Meals take about 45min-1h most of the time unless we get meals that are specifically for quick nights (30min or less)

Here are some things I like about it/how we use it:

-the sides are abundant usually.  Most of the time we will buy an extra protein to stretch a 2 person box, but leave everything else the same.  The one night I prepared enough lo mein for that night and two days of leftovers.

-it's prepped just enough.  There are companies that will send out everything cut and ready.  Blue Apron doesn't do that.  You slice, dice, and prepare each ingredient, but just enough is put in the box for the meal.

-we can choose between 11 different meals.  Right now we do 3 a week, about 2x a month, and pick what we want to arrive those weeks based on our schedule and diet.

-we can skip weeks or change our delivery date without a problem. 

-the recipe cards are nice.  We've put page protectors on them and made our own cookbooks.  For weeks we don't do BA we pick a few favorites and add them to our grocery list.

-it's not that much more expensive than grocery shopping here.  It's about half our weekly budget, but again, we often have leftovers or I stretch the meal out to make leftovers. 

-we get to try foods a variety of ways.  I never thought I would like barley until I tried it with greek yogurt, cucumbers, and carrots.  We ate the pot clean and now keep barley on our shelf. 

-we've had a box delayed (why we changed our date) and the customer service was great.  No questions, just automatic refund.

So, yes, we like it, quite a bit, and I'm not sorry to have the service.  Our meal ideas have expanded quite a bit since we started and even the 7yo gets excited to try new foods when the box comes.

• Like 1

We use Blue Apron.  It may not be the best for you with a busy schedule.  Meals take about 45min-1h most of the time unless we get meals that are specifically for quick nights (30min or less)

We tried Blue Apron.  I liked the food, but it took a long time for me (a not very good cook/chopper) to prepare.  I wanted to expand, practice my cooking skills, but it ended up causing me stress. (I know that sounds silly!)  I'm looking to try something else.

We have tried Blue Apron (pretty good), Martha & Marley Spoon (awful), and have settled on Plated, which we adore. What we like about Plated is the large choice of menu options each week. With Blue Apron, I found myself opting for recipes that were pretty good, but not my favorite. But, with Plated, it seems like there is always something that we are excited to try. Some say that Plated takes longer to prepare (more complex dishes) vs. the other subscriptions, but we've found that it takes the same amount of time to prepare as Blue Apron. We still do keep Blue Apron active because sometimes they have a good week, and it is a bit cheaper vs. Plated. Overall, we eat out less and eat healthier (less microwave food) with these subscription services, so it is worth it for us.

If you want to PM me your email address, I can send you free meals with Blue Apron. I have 5 to offer for anyone else that wants some.

I will also have a free Plated meal (worth $72) in a few weeks, so I can invite you when I get a free meal.

Edited by SeaConquest
  • Like 2

We tried Hello Fresh about a year ago. The recipes were good and easy to follow. I liked trying new styles of foods I may not have tried otherwise.

However, I could make similar meals on my own much less expensively. I'm a decent cook and enjoy cooking which probably makes a difference. The amount of packaging really bothered me. Overall I am glad we tried it but it isn't something we would do regularly. If time is tight it's definitely better than going out to eat.

Kroger has started selling meal kits in our area, that may be a less expensive alternative although I haven't tried any personally.

• Like 1

I made my very first Hello Fresh meal today. It was so good and the portions were huge. Ds had 2 man-sized servings and we still had leftovers. 20 min to cook.

So far I am impressed. I also have $40 coupons codes to give out. Pm me your email address if you want one.

• Like 1

We had this for dinner tonight with Plated, and it was amazing!

I love Indian food, and it is normally a very labor-intensive cuisine. But, my husband made this in about 40 minutes (yes, he cooks!). It was so good!

https://www.plated.com/menus/2017-10-01/recipes/indian-butter-chicken-with-naan

• Like 1

We tried Hello Fresh about a year ago. The recipes were good and easy to follow. I liked trying new styles of foods I may not have tried otherwise.

However, I could make similar meals on my own much less expensively. I'm a decent cook and enjoy cooking which probably makes a difference. The amount of packaging really bothered me. Overall I am glad we tried it but it isn't something we would do regularly. If time is tight it's definitely better than going out to eat.

Kroger has started selling meal kits in our area, that may be a less expensive alternative although I haven't tried any personally.

Agree re the amount of packaging. Some of the services have recyclable materials that you can use, if that is a concern for you.

For us, the issue is not cooking; it's meal planning. Neither of us wants to spend the time planning meals and buying all the fiddly little ingredients -- especially because we don't have a lot of space to store ingredients that we will hardly ever use. I love that everything comes premeasured in just the right amount. It is pricey, but perfect for us. 

• Like 1

I'll have to check Kroger for their meal kits. I hadn't seen them but there is one just blocks from me so that may be a good option depending on what they have. Thanks !

I will have to look for those too.

If you have a Fresh Market in your area, they do "Little Big Meals". We've tried various ones & enjoyed them. The ones we have tried have been fairly easy & quick to prepare. (I'm definitely not a cook & don't enjoy cooking, meal planning, or grocery shopping.)

For those using delivery meal services, are there any that can handle having both meat-eaters & a vegetarian in the same family?

I switch back and forth between Hello Fresh and Blue Apron.  I don't get them every week, but sometimes two weeks each month.  I first got hooked on them when I just didn't have the motivation to cook anymore due to circumstances.  I think they're great.  They're not necessarily "prepped" as in washed and chopped already.  Vegetables still need to be washed, peeled and chopped, meat needs to be prepped, cooked, and sliced, etc.  But all quantities are just right so you don't end up with leftover spices and vegetables, etc. that spoil before you use them.  Recipes are step-by-step, and you don't have to think about what to make!  With both services, servings are usually very generous.  It's mostly just my dh and I now, but if one of our kids is home there is almost always enough for three (with the 2-person plan).  Otherwise I'll freeze the third serving and have it later.  

I'm sold on them, but also, they've gotten me back into cooking again!  So, I probably don't use them as often as I did before.  However, I do still love them and will continue to get them, especially when the recipes look really good.  I actually find that time really relaxing and don't mind if it takes an hour to get dinner ready.  (and often it's less than an hour.)

If you have a Fresh Market in your area, they do "Little Big Meals". We've tried various ones & enjoyed them. The ones we have tried have been fairly easy & quick to prepare. (I'm definitely not a cook & don't enjoy cooking, meal planning, or grocery shopping.)

For those using delivery meal services, are there any that can handle having both meat-eaters & a vegetarian in the same family?

Blue Apron allows you to choose both meat and veggie dishes on the same plan.

• Like 2

This is the issue we are having looking through the options. 

I switch back and forth between Hello Fresh and Blue Apron. I don't get them every week, but sometimes two weeks each month. I first got hooked on them when I just didn't have the motivation to cook anymore due to circumstances. I think they're great. They're not necessarily "prepped" as in washed and chopped already. Vegetables still need to be washed, peeled and chopped, meat needs to be prepped, cooked, and sliced, etc. But all quantities are just right so you don't end up with leftover spices and vegetables, etc. that spoil before you use them. Recipes are step-by-step, and you don't have to think about what to make! With both services, servings are usually very generous. It's mostly just my dh and I now, but if one of our kids is home there is almost always enough for three (with the 2-person plan). Otherwise I'll freeze the third serving and have it later.

I'm sold on them, but also, they've gotten me back into cooking again! So, I probably don't use them as often as I did before. However, I do still love them and will continue to get them, especially when the recipes look really good. I actually find that time really relaxing and don't mind if it takes an hour to get dinner ready. (and often it's less than an hour.)

Is Blue Apron as easy to pause and skip weeks as Hello Fresh?

We're working our way through the various meal kits trying them out.  We did Blue Apron a couple weeks ago.  We're doing Hello Fresh this week.  I think we'll do Sun Basket next.  We do them for lunch so the two-person meals are plenty for the five of us home (one of whom is so picky he rarely eats what we make for lunch).  It's expensive, but that perception might vary depending on where you live.  If I still lived in MD or VA I probably wouldn't think they were so costly, but I live in Texas and could get the ingredients at HEB cheaper.  It doesn't really take any less time to cook from a kit since you are still chopping and what not, but it sure makes planning meals easier.  Plus we've found a couple things we will make again and again.  In fact, one of the meals we made from the Blue Apron box is on the menu later this week.  I was thinking that these meal kits would be ideal for someone newly out on their own who doesn't know how to cook very well but can follow a recipe and would otherwise be picking up pizza or burgers all the time.

I blogged about our Blue Apron experience here: https://thefamilywho.wordpress.com/2017/10/02/we-tried-blue-apron/

• Like 2

Yes, it is!

I'm unclear on how the menu options work. It says that if you choose 4 meals a week on the family plan, you get "all four recipes," which sounds like you don't have options. But then we are able to customize and exclude, for example, fish. How do the meal choices work?

Agree re the amount of packaging. Some of the services have recyclable materials that you can use, if that is a concern for you.

That's good to know. I'm not super environmentally conscious the way some people are but I felt bad about how much packaging I threw away.

I'm unclear on how the menu options work. It says that if you choose 4 meals a week on the family plan, you get "all four recipes," which sounds like you don't have options. But then we are able to customize and exclude, for example, fish. How do the meal choices work?

I'm just heading out the door but will get back to answer this later!

We had this for dinner tonight with Plated, and it was amazing!

I love Indian food, and it is normally a very labor-intensive cuisine. But, my husband made this in about 40 minutes (yes, he cooks!). It was so good!

https://www.plated.com/menus/2017-10-01/recipes/indian-butter-chicken-with-naan

Hmmm.....I just get a jar of the stuff at the Indian store and simmer it with chicken and bake the Naan with butter and garlic (and sometimes chives) or buy premade chapatis.

I wonder how different the taste is.

I do worry about cost too though.  A lot of those premade meals are $10 per person.  I usually spend $15 max for a family of 5 for a meal, usually less.

• Like 2

Whether you're on your computer or a smartphone app, after you log-in you should see an "Upcoming" meals choice to click on.  Once there, you should be able to scroll through the various weeks (they usually set meals a few weeks in advance).  Under each week you can click on "Manage" and then choose your meal options.  They generally have 8 or so meals to choose from.

• Like 1

Hmmm.....I just get a jar of the stuff at the Indian store and simmer it with chicken and bake the Naan with butter and garlic (and sometimes chives) or buy premade chapatis.

I wonder how different the taste is.

I do worry about cost too though.  A lot of those premade meals are $10 per person.  I usually spend $15 max for a family of 5 for a meal, usually less.

I think that for masala sauce AND korma, there is a significant taste difference between homemade and jarred sauce. I don't always take the time to do homemade and juggle 30 ingredients, but it always tastes amazingly better when I do.