Menu

Buying Bone Broth For Fasting

Slache

It's just broth, like for cooking. But for cooking we use Better Than Bullion and I need actual broth.

I thought bone broth was where you really cook the heck out of the bones and the broth turns gelatinous when cooled.  I usually make my own and it's thick and gelatinous when cool.  I used boxed broth yesterday and this morning it is still thin as water.  So I'm thinking it's not bone broth. 

• Like 1

If you have a crock pot, you can do this while you are sleeping.

We are also poor and buy meat without the bones.

I thought bone broth was where you really cook the heck out of the bones and the broth turns gelatinous when cooled.  I usually make my own and it's thick and gelatinous when cool.  I used boxed broth yesterday and this morning it is still thin as water.  So I'm thinking it's not bone broth.

Interesting! Thanks for the heads up.

Interesting! Thanks for the heads up.

Meat on bones is actually quite a bit cheaper (and especially so if you use the bones). 

Chicken legs are cheap.  You can eat them and save the bones for broth.  Yes...even if you've eaten off of them because you cook the heck out of them so it'll be fine.  I save my carcasses from whole chickens and use those for broth.

• Like 8

Meat on bones is actually quite a bit cheaper (and especially so if you use the bones). 

Chicken legs are cheap.  You can eat them and save the bones for broth.  Yes...even if you've eaten off of them because you cook the heck out of them so it'll be fine.  I save my carcasses from whole chickens and use those for broth.

I was going to say the same if you are poor and trying to save money bone-in meat is much cheaper, plus you can make the broth for virtually free(you just need a bit of celery, carrot, onion and a bay leaf). Whole chickens are the cheapest here and make the best broth, roast it in the oven and eat the meat, throw the bones in a crockpot overnight or the Instant Pot for 90 minutes, voila.

• Like 5

This has not been my experience, but I've never used the bones. We do a lot of chicken breast, ground beef, carne asada and cheap fish. I will plan our menu with bones next week and try to really work this broth thang. I've been wanting chicken thighs anyway.

If you have a good butcher counter, you can always ask them if they ever sell chicken bones.  They might sell them to you for a really good deal.  If you use raw bones for your broth, you will want to roast them in the oven first until they are brown and toasty. 

You can also make a very good bone broth with the ends of chicken wings- the pointy parts that are usually discarded.   Chicken FEET will supposedly bump up your broth to the next level, but I've not been brave enough to try that yet.

Here's a good recipe for making bone broth in a slow cooker using leftover bones:  http://ohlardy.com/chicken-bone-broth/

• Like 4

Wait until the whole fryers go in sale. This is usually really cheap. Boil it until the meat starts to fall off (but isn't overlooked. Pull all that meat off the bone and use it for a couple meals. Then put the bones, broth, onions, carrots, celery, bay, and a little salt and pepper in your crockpot or pressure cooker. Cover with water. Cook until you taste a carrot and it's a bit blah and flavorless. I think the carrot is an indicator that all the flavor is in the broth.

It can take time, but not a lot of hands on time. I do mine in the crockpot overnight. I strain it into smaller containers, cool on the counter, the stick in the fridge. When it cools looking like jello you know you won. It's also easier to remove the fat once the broth is cold.

You can get several meals from one chicken so I feel this is the most economical way to buy chicken. A family of four might get 3-4 meals this way. If you're focused on fasting now, freeze the meat for meals later.

The super cheapest route to bone broth and multiple meals is to catch the best Turkey sales in Nov and Dec. Turkey just makes a richer stock. My sister has a large family and stocks up on turkey to use in a lot of chicken recipes throughout the year.

• Like 5

Echoing the DIY in the crockpot. Easy and cheap.
Better, too!

Many butchers, grocery meat counters, and farmers will sell beef bones for next to nothing. I get a large bag with enough to fill my 7qt crock pot 3 or 4 times for $5. Roast the bones, add an onion, some celery ends and tops, a carrot, a few peppercorns to the crock pot and let it cook on low for 24 hours.

ETA: Avg. cost for for me to make 3 qts. of stock is well under $2.00, maybe under $1.00.

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 3

I buy Bonafide bone broth in the freezer section. Good bone broths are expensive. This brand is gelatinous when cool and the flavor is good. I pay $7.99 - $9.99 for a 24 oz bag. I have tried Kettle and Fire in recipes, but I don't remember it being gelatinous. It is twice as expensive as Bonafide. Pacific Foods bone broth is awful - tastes like dish water!! I only buy beef bone broth but make my own chicken bone broth. I just don't eat a lot of beef and grass-fed beef bones are expensive around here. 

• Like 1

I, too, keep a couple freezer bags in the freezer; one with chicken bones, one with beef bones and one with veggie & herb trimmings.  The chicken one fills up much faster than the beef one because we rarely have beef.  

If you are in a hurry for bone broth & want to make your own here's what I would do:

Purchase:

1-2 rotisserie chickens (regular or organic) Costco has them relatively inexpensively or they are usually on a $5 Friday sale @ Safeway

1 yellow onion with plenty of the brown papery skin

2 big carrots

1 bundle of celery

Pick all the meat off the chickens, do not throw away any weird cartilage or flabby skin or anything else.  You want it all.

Package all the meat for the freezer or for family meals for the next couple of days (BBQ chicken sliders, chicken taco meat, chickenetti, buffalo chicken sliders)

Cut onion in 1/2 remove all the brown papery skin & several (3-4) outer layers of onion.  Slice the inner layers to use for other meals

Scrub, but don't peel the carrots, slice off the end with the green tops.  Cut into several chunks

Cut the bottom off the celery remove the leafy heart pieces and chop into chunks.  Cut one of the outside stalks into chunks.  

Put all the veggies & chicken carcasses into your crockpot.  If you want add a bay leaf or two.  Cover with filtered water and a splash of vinegar (apple cider is my favorite) 

Cover & cook on low for at least 10-12 hours

Strain broth into a tall container.  I use a pitcher that fits into my fridge.  Cover & refrigerate overnight.  After it has refrigerated for 12-24 hours remove the solid fat from the top & discard.  Scoop out the "chicken jell-o" as my children call it & place it in 1 C containers.  I toss the last of the broth in the bottom of the  pitcher because it has all the weird cloudy solids, but that is personal preference.  If you use a rotisserie chicken it should be plenty salty, but when you warm it to drink it you can add a pinch of himalayan pink salt or a grind of black pepper.

I make different "flavors" of chicken bone broth & put them in the freezer in 1 C containers.

Southwestern spicy broth- I remove the carrot & add of one coarsely chopped jalapeno, 1-2 dried New Mexico chiles and saved cilantro stems into the crockpot.  This one gets a squeeze of lime when I am ready to drink.

Asian style broth- I  remove the yellow onion & onion skin and I add cracked garlic cloves, several chunks of peeled fresh ginger, a bunch of green onions chopped in 1/2 and cilantro stems.  I add a splash of soy sauce when I drink this one.

Cold-buster broth is the same as the basic broth with several cracked cloves of garlic, a chopped jalapeno or dried chile for some spicy & parsley stems.  When we drink this one we add 1-2 "hot dots" of sriracha.  

I make turkey bone broth the same way only I usually have to break the carcass in 1/2 and fit it into 2 crockpots.  My kids say it is traumatizing to watch me wrestle the turkey carcass :)

If you just want to buy, Pacific Foods has a decent tasting bone broth and it can be found at almost every grocery store.

HTH

Amber in SJ

• Like 2

Echoing the DIY in the crockpot. Easy and cheap.

Better, too!

Many butchers, grocery meat counters, and farmers will sell beef bones for next to nothing. I get a large bag with enough to fill my 7qt crock pot 3 or 4 times for $5. Roast the bones, add an onion, some celery ends and tops, a carrot, a few peppercorns to the crock pot and let it cook on low for 24 hours.

ETA: Avg. cost for for me to make 3 qts. of stock is well under $2.00, maybe under $1.00.

ooo I'll have to try that. I don't usually buy bone in beef because it's not on sale. 

Serious question here - does the grass fed organic whatever really matter on bone broth? Or will regular old commercial beef bones have benefit?

• Like 1

I just want to say that I know this is a healthy thing and all... but whenever I even see the words "bone broth" I gag!  Same with the word "gelatinous"...   :lol:

I like broth but the gelatinous thing is getting to me. I'm going to be a bad girl and see if the cheap stuff at Costco has a short ingredients list and decide what to do from there, but I don't think I want to do what other people think I want to do.

• Like 1

I like broth but the gelatinous thing is getting to me. I'm going to be a bad girl and see if the cheap stuff at Costco has a short ingredients list and decide what to do from there, but I don't think I want to do what other people think I want to do.

The gelatin is not noticeable when your broth is hot and you are drinking it or using it.  It's only visible in well-chilled broth.  

• Like 4

Costco rotisserie chickens are also a great economical way to get a couple meals and bones to make broth. I just made three quarts of broth from one carcass. (Sorry, Sparkly...) DH and I were arguing over the carcass because we both want to get the broth but we want to make it into different kinds of soup. I don't like the way he makes soup and I don't want to waste the precious broth on his everything-and-the-kitchen-sink soup.

• Like 3

I actually think rotisserie chickens are a rip unless on sale.  They tend to be small chickens that per pound are much less expensive if you just bake it yourself.  I do buy them sometimes, but not because I think they are a good value.  They are a good value when you factor in my sanity, but that's another discussion.  Although they are definitely cheaper than going out to eat. 

• Like 2

add carcass to that list...LOL

I don't over think it, but yeah....

Costco rotisserie chickens are also a great economical way to get a couple meals and bones to make broth. I just made three quarts of broth from one carcass. (Sorry, Sparkly...) DH and I were arguing over the carcass because we both want to get the broth but we want to make it into different kinds of soup. I don't like the way he makes soup and I don't want to waste the precious broth on his everything-and-the-kitchen-sink soup.

"Carcass" is our family pet name for a pre-made rotisserie chicken. "What do you want for dinner?" "Oh, I don't know, I don't feel like cooking...could you pick up a carcass on your way home?"  :laugh:

• Like 2

I actually think rotisserie chickens are a rip unless on sale.  They tend to be small chickens that per pound are much less expensive if you just bake it yourself.  I do buy them sometimes, but not because I think they are a good value.  They are a good value when you factor in my sanity, but that's another discussion.  Although they are definitely cheaper than going out to eat. 

The trick is catch them on clearance. My Walmart does the small ones for $2.50 on clearance. And the larger family size ones for $5.50 on clearance. 

I get mine at Sprouts when it goes on sale, usually $3 each but I once got lucky and it was down to $2 per carton.... now that we're eating so much less meat I need to find a good vegetable broth. 

For making it yourself, after you render the chicken or beef you should roast the bones in the oven for an hour or two.  The additional roasting gives the broth a deeper flavor. 

You've gotten lots of good replies.  I just want to address the cost issue.   Even if you spend more per pound for the meat with bones ( although the opposite has been my experience ), you'll still come out ahead making both in the crockpot overnight vs buying it by the box.   You might also want to check into buying beef bones.  Our expensive store has them for $2.99 a lb and the farmer's market for $2 a lb.    Ham bone stock alone isn't much to my family's liking, but I make it to freeze and use with water in beans.  It's a super cheap way to flavor foods for just a little money.  I'm also going to take a poster's advice upthread to ask for chicken bones at the butcher counter.  That's something I haven't thought of.   Best wishes as you find the best option for you!

ETA:  When whole chickens are on sale, I have the meat dept cut them up for me, and then repackage them at home.  I put like pieces together, including backs, necks, and wings for stock.    They also cut the breasts off the bones, and I specifically ask them to give me the  bones.    There's no extra charge for this at Publix. 

Edited by Artichoke
  • Like 2

ETA: When whole chickens are on sale, I have the meat dept cut them up for me, and then repackage them at home. I put like pieces together, including backs, necks, and wings for stock. They also cut the breasts off the bones, and I specifically ask them to give me the bones. There's no extra charge for this at Publix.

Yes to this. I keep one or two chickens whole for roasting, and my meat counter guy will cut up however many others I'm buying. Depends on how good the sale is. I keep a bag in the freezer and toss in bones until I have enough to throw in the crockpot. I also can often get bones cheap at our local Asian market. That's also where I bought the really big bag of chicken feet that's hanging out in my freezer; I toss a few in with my stock.

What temp and how long to roast bones before boiling?

You've gotten lots of good replies. I just want to address the cost issue. Even if you spend more per pound for the meat with bones ( although the opposite has been my experience ), you'll still come out ahead making both in the crockpot overnight vs buying it by the box. You might also want to check into buying beef bones. Our expensive store has them for $2.99 a lb and the farmer's market for $2 a lb. Ham bone stock alone isn't much to my family's liking, but I make it to freeze and use with water in beans. It's a super cheap way to flavor foods for just a little money. I'm also going to take a poster's advice upthread to ask for chicken bones at the butcher counter. That's something I haven't thought of. Best wishes as you find the best option for you!

ETA: When whole chickens are on sale, I have the meat dept cut them up for me, and then repackage them at home. I put like pieces together, including backs, necks, and wings for stock. They also cut the breasts off the bones, and I specifically ask them to give me the bones. There's no extra charge for this at Publix.

I think part of the problem is that I buy cheaper meat than comes with bones. Ground beef doesn't come bone in, you know what I mean? Thank you for the reply though. I've got a lot to think about.

• Like 1

I actually think rotisserie chickens are a rip unless on sale. They tend to be small chickens that per pound are much less expensive if you just bake it yourself. I do buy them sometimes, but not because I think they are a good value. They are a good value when you factor in my sanity, but that's another discussion. Although they are definitely cheaper than going out to eat.

I agree, but the Costco ones are big and usually half price, so about $4, the hour before they close.

• Like 1

What temp and how long to roast bones before boiling

I think part of the problem is that I buy cheaper meat than comes with bones. Ground beef doesn't come bone in, you know what I mean? Thank you for the reply though. I've got a lot to think about.

400 for 20-25 minutes.

I get bare bones. The ones from farmers at the FM are often large joints.

• Like 1

That's one thing I don't make. Beef broth. I can't find bones for a reasonable price (if I can find them at all).

I only have beef bones when we buy part of a cow. But they'll usually throw in extra for free or cheap, because other people don't want them. You can get a lot of stock out of beef bones!

But yes, I can rarely find them for cheap other than that.

But for the OP, the only premade broth I've found that I would consider using for fasting (small ingredient list, contains protein) has been super pricey. Most of the boxed stuff seems to be water flavored with fillers. If you can swing it, I would definitely try to make your own. With my crockpot, I usually get 12-14 cups of stock from a single chicken carcass. My kids are still little eaters, so I can usually get 2-3 meals out of a single chicken, which makes it very worthwhile.

• Like 3

I buy Bonafide bone broth in the freezer section. Good bone broths are expensive. This brand is gelatinous when cool and the flavor is good. I pay $7.99 - $9.99 for a 24 oz bag. I have tried Kettle and Fire in recipes, but I don't remember it being gelatinous. It is twice as expensive as Bonafide. Pacific Foods bone broth is awful - tastes like dish water!!

:iagree: 

I think that's what Costco sells, and I was really disappointed — it's really watery and tastes worse than their regular chicken broth.

The Instant Pot makes the best bone broth (actually the best any kind of broth) I've ever had, bar none. We eat a lot of soup, and I made broth in a crockpot for about 20 years before I got the IP (thanks to the rave reviews here), and IP broth is so much richer and more flavorful (not to mention quicker, 2 hrs vs 12).

• Like 1

I agree, but the Costco ones are big and usually half price, so about $4, the hour before they close.

The regular price of rotisserie chickens here is only $5 — I thought that was the standard price at Costco. I've read that they lose money on them, but it also reduces waste because the ones that get cooked are the same ones they sell in bags; when they get to the sell by date they roast them. Then any roasted ones that are leftover get made into chicken salad and things like that.

The regular price of rotisserie chickens here is only $5 — I thought that was the standard price at Costco. I've read that they lose money on them, but it also reduces waste because the ones that get cooked are the same ones they sell in bags; when they get to the sell by date they roast them. Then any roasted ones that are leftover get made into chicken salad and things like that.

I am sure you are right on the price. I know they are half price at our store the last hour or so before the store closes. It is extremely rare that I am there in the evenings to take advantage of the deal.  

They also take the white meat off the bone and vacuum seal it into 2 lb bags in the meat section. Great if you need chx for a casserole and don't have time to prep. My mom loves their chx salad! 

The only thing I don't like about Costco chx is the ingredient list. Should be chx, some sort of oil/fat for the skin, S&P.

But they use lots of additives, including modified food starch, dextrose, dextrin, sugar, and sodium phosphate. No deal breakers, but still yuck. 

I just want to say that I know this is a healthy thing and all... but whenever I even see the words "bone broth" I gag!  Same with the word "gelatinous"...   :lol:

I know!  I made one batch and it seemed that no matter how much of the fat I scraped off it was just so greasy and bleahhhh.  (Good flavor, but I felt like I was drinking liquid fat--EW!)

• Like 1