Menu

what physics...???

What physics course are you using for your non-math, non-science kid? I looked at Conceptual Physics, but it looked pretty intense, then I bought Guesthollow...but honestly, she is bored with that one...so I hate that I paid for it.. 

but I am looking for something not too rigorous but interesting.  She is currently taking Algebra 2. 

Please, please, please give me your thoughts...I really don't know which direction to go.

Georgia Public Broadcasting then? Has math, but very step by step.

even if the math is step by step....is it hard?

do the solutions have step by step answers?

I can afford this one...if it's going to work.....

are the labs doable? with easy access supplies?

thanks.

If Guest Hollow is actually teaching concepts (no idea), since cost is a factor, could you just spice it up a bit with some supplementing?  Maybe add in videos or lectures?  If GH is only boring, I would probably try to make it work vs buying an entire new curriculum at this point.  If it isn't actually teaching or your dd is struggling with its presentation, then that is a different and I would ditch it.  (I did that myself this yr.  I tried to use an opencourseware AP physics course and it just had too many parts to manipulate.  I ended up just buying my old standby, KB physics.....but it is math intense, so I wouldn't recommend it. )  Another option might be Hewitt's Conceptual Physics text bc they are cheap used.

• Like 1

my daughter says she isn't really learning anything...so that is also why I am looking to change.

I am very interested in knowing more about Georgia Public Broadcasting..thus my questions above.

So if anybody knows the answers to those I would be very grateful!

thanks.

Conceptual Physics isn't intense. It's well explained and interesting. I patched free videos from Bozeman into it.

Bloomfield's How Things Work: The Physics of Everyday Life might be higher interest for a kid who doesn't like physics. If you search I think there's videos and/or MOOCs for this one.

No experience with GPB.

• Like 3

What physics course are you using for your non-math, non-science kid? I looked at Conceptual Physics, but it looked pretty intense, then I bought Guesthollow...but honestly, she is bored with that one...so I hate that I paid for it.. 

but I am looking for something not too rigorous but interesting.  

Well, I'm using Understanding Physics with my artsy kid. But, I'm teaching it and there aren't any videos. So, that won't be helpful for you. IMO, I'd stick with GuestHollow & just add some Bozeman videos. You haven't had GuestHollow for very long, have you? Maybe it is too early to be saying she isn't learning anything. I'd give it more of a chance.

Following! I'd love to teach an introductory physics class next year at co-op for our late middle school/early high school students. I know we have a couple of students who won't be able to handle much math. 

I was considering combining Memoria Press Exploring the World of Physics , which does have some math, and Physics 101. I'll add in a syllabus of Conceptual Physics for those who want more. I have the teacher key for the MP book. It has questions for each chapter including a few math problems. There's a review over every 3-4 chapters and an exam. There is a final exam, too. 

I'd love to actually see the Power Basic books, but I'm not sure where I could actually see them. 

If I can find something better, I won't have to do as much combining and planning. Our co-op wants labs, so I'm not sure how many labs are in all of these programs. 

Following! I'd love to teach an introductory physics class next year at co-op for our late middle school/early high school students. I know we have a couple of students who won't be able to handle much math.

I was considering combining Memoria Press Exploring the World of Physics , which does have some math, and Physics 101. I'll add in a syllabus of Conceptual Physics for those who want more. I have the teacher key for the MP book. It has questions for each chapter including a few math problems. There's a review over every 3-4 chapters and an exam. There is a final exam, too.

I'd love to actually see the Power Basic books, but I'm not sure where I could actually see them.

If I can find something better, I won't have to do as much combining and planning. Our co-op wants labs, so I'm not sure how many labs are in all of these programs.

Conceptual Physics by Hewitt mentioned in this thread is low math.

Fwiw, MP's physics is history of the field more than an actual science course and Physics 101 is a middle school supplement level. The physics sticky thread in this forum may help your decision. Look in the conceptual section.

• Like 2

Conceptual Physics by Hewitt would be the right level. It has barely any math - that's why it's called "conceptual".

• Like 1