Menu

How long do you use your crib mattress for?

Janeway

I feel kind of sad. I sold off my toddler bed. I had it up for sale a month ago. But someone texted this morning for the bed. I was not selling the mattress, just the bed. But, I have no use for the mattress so I figured I would just give it away. Just before the guy shows up, I look closely at the tag and realize it is the one my mom had given me when I had my second child. She bought that crib for that child. The crib is long gone as it was recalled, but I still have the mattress and had been using it on the toddler bed. I suddenly wanted to keep it (she died two weeks ago). The guy comes to pick up the bed, seems like a nice guy. And I guess he assumed the mattress was included. He drove a ways to get here. I sucked it up and gave him the mattress. I am reasoning that it is a silly waste to try to just store it. I no longer have a crib or toddler bed. I think, perhaps I will have grandchildren and they could use it. But seriously, the mattress was from spring 2004. Would it even be reasonable to even consider using it for a grandchild in 10+ years from now? Should I have told him no and kept it?

I wouldn't second guess it. Letting him take it was fine.

As for your title question... We kept a crib mattress and keep it underneath one of the regular beds. We've had occasion to pull it out and use it on our bedroom floor when a sick child needed to camp near us for the night. We've been glad to have it for that purpose.

But for saving for a someday grandchild? No. If for no other reason, safety standards will change between now and then.

• Like 1

I wasn't even planning to save it, until I looked at the tag and remembered my mom had bought me that mattress. I remember the day too. We went to Babies R Us together and she bought the crib and the mattress. She usually generally did not go shopping with me, but did that day. 

I wasn't even planning to save it, until I looked at the tag and remembered my mom had bought me that mattress. I remember the day too. We went to Babies R Us together and she bought the crib and the mattress. She usually generally did not go shopping with me, but did that day. 

When I have wanted to preserve a particular memory, I've written about it and then filed the paper safely away.  Perhaps you could do something similar to honor the memory of this shopping trip?

• Like 1

We'll, mine made it through three kids, until the cat peed on it and I couldn't get it clean without serious chemicals. My grandmother bought it for us for her first great grand baby. Cat pee killed my sentimentality.

The young toddler is breaking in the new mattress before baby four comes this winter. Then the mattress will move on to a family that can use it. Definitely not saving for hypothetical grandchildren. I wouldn't want to sleep on anything that had been stored a decade or more; I certainly wouldn't plan on putting a baby on a mattress like that.

Our crib mattress lasted about 10 years; from the time DS was born until our youngest DD moved into a twin sized bed. I have no idea what happened to it, but when we found out we were having a surprise baby, the mattress was nowhere to be found. We probably gave it away before we last moved or maybe it's still unpacked somewhere in a big box or in the shed. Either way, I think I'd have wanted a new mattress. The suggested lifespan of a mattress isn't usually much more than 10 years even for adults and I suspect baby mattresses aren't made as well. There's also a link between old mattresses and SIDS. I wouldn't buy a new one for every baby, but a really old mattress for a newborn would make me uncomfortable.

• Like 1