Menu

Old School

Elizabeth86

We had ds birthday at a community center that used to be a school from 1912-1973. They had old school records and such framed on the wall. I didnt look at all of them as I was busy, but at that school in 1915 the school year was 120 days. There were about 5 students that went between 100-120 days. The majority of the students attended between 65-90 days. This may or may not have been the norm for the time. You all may know a lot about how school used to look. I hadnt ever given it much thought and am surprised about the attendance. I just wanted to share, thought you all might be ammused like I was. I am always so serious about getting my 180 days in. Lol. Guess it wasnt a big deal in 1915.

Edited by Elizabeth86
  • Like 4

They also listed the classes taught, morals was listed. Probably shouldnt have done away with that in school.

Every time you try to teach sex ed, somebody screams that the schools should "stick to the 3rs and not teach morals". Same if you try to teach any literature other than what the self-described defenders of western lit consider to be "the canon" (heaven forbid your students read more than one book written by or about a non-white person, why, that's just "cramming diversity down their throats"!), if you teach about climate change or evolution ("liberal indoctrination"), if you try to teach them to be kind to each other instead of bullying each other ("save time for the basics"), if you try to teach in a social studies class that other religions actually exist ("omg my kid learned the five pillars of Islam, that means they WANT him to be a Muslim!"), or....

Well, suffice to say, I think teaching "morals" is a can of worms. We all more or less agree on the golden rule, at least in principle, but after that it all gets a bit murky and a lot of people don't think that they should be teaching even THAT basic principle in schools.

Every time you try to teach sex ed, somebody screams that the schools should "stick to the 3rs and not teach morals". Same if you try to teach any literature other than what the self-described defenders of western lit consider to be "the canon" (heaven forbid your students read more than one book written by or about a non-white person, why, that's just "cramming diversity down their throats"!), if you teach about climate change or evolution ("liberal indoctrination"), if you try to teach them to be kind to each other instead of bullying each other ("save time for the basics"), if you try to teach in a social studies class that other religions actually exist ("omg my kid learned the five pillars of Islam, that means they WANT him to be a Muslim!"), or....

Well, suffice to say, I think teaching "morals" is a can of worms. We all more or less agree on the golden rule, at least in principle, but after that it all gets a bit murky and a lot of people don't think that they should be teaching even THAT basic principle in schools.

Ok I see that. Not really what I had in mind for this post, but as always around here people get out of shape. Im not sure why I waste my time...

Off to edit and delete

F it

• Like 1

Don't take it personally, lots of people use these posts as a jump off for their own thoughts and there's nothing wrong with some varied opinions and bunny trails. I think it's a cool observation about the school year length. Especially in agricultural communities they really had to schedule school around planting and harvest, and hunting season too!

Don't take it personally, lots of people use these posts as a jump off for their own thoughts and there's nothing wrong with some varied opinions and bunny trails. I think it's a cool observation about the school year length. Especially in agricultural communities they really had to schedule school around planting and harvest, and hunting season too!

I try not too, but geez everything I say seems to get twisted here. This is why I have no friends irl.

Yes, I really was just pointing out, whoa they taught morals at school. Thats just not how our world is any more. Not trying to stir up a debate. I get why things dont work like that any more.

I try not too, but geez everything I say seems to get twisted here. This is why I have no friends irl.

You will find people everywhere who have a narrow field of vision and think everything revolves around one subject only. But there are always others who find observations like yours interesting. Don't let anyone discourage you from posting!

On the subject of school attendance, Arctic Mama already said what came to my mind. School calendars were scheduled to fit agricultural communities' needs. But it is surprising that students still learned as much as they evidently did in less time. Less other distractions? Life was simpler - field work and school work? I don't really know the answer - just speculating.

• Like 2

Oh, no, I didn't mean to attack you! I'm sorry if it sounded that way. I definitely did not mean "That's a dumb idea", but "That'd be great, but because other people can be so annoying I don't think it would work".

I think that's an interesting thing to talk about, which is why I made my comment, but I definitely did not mean a criticism of you or your initial post. I'm really sorry.

• Like 1

Oh, no, I didn't mean to attack you! I'm sorry if it sounded that way. I definitely did not mean "That's a dumb idea", but "That'd be great, but because other people can be so annoying I don't think it would work".

I think that's an interesting thing to talk about, which is why I made my comment, but I definitely did not mean a criticism of you or your initial post. I'm really sorry.

Thats ok. I guess Im just feeling sensitive these days. Im the type to do anything to avoid conflict. It makes me miserable.

I've been working on family genealogy for a few years now and a couple of generations back (early 1900s) people were very much undereducated by today's standards.  But, in most cases, I believe their education was adequate for the time.

I just pulled up a census record that includes my grandfather and his parents.  These numbers come from one page of a Pennsylvania census record in 1940.

Of the people who had not attended school in the past year (those who were probably "done"), most only got to 8th grade.

4 years of college -- 2

2 years of college -- 1

10th grade -- 3

9th grade -- 2

8th grade -- 17

6th grade -- 4

4th grade -- 1

3rd grade -- 2

no school -- 1

About half of the people recorded finished 8th grade.  Some did more, some did less.  It looks like a bell curve.   :)

I think that the answer is that students didn't need as much schooling then to be a valuable part of society.  Most people had no use for higher math.  And I doubt that they were studying literature and foreign languages.  Formal education was not as valuable as it is now.

The two people on this page who finished four years of college were public school teachers.  

My great-grandfather finished 8th grade.  My great-grandmother was one of the two people with a 3rd grade education.  They could both read and write.

ETA;  The census also recorded that the public school teachers worked 32 weeks.  Assuming 5 days/week, that would be 160 days.

Edited by Junie

I've been working on family genealogy for a few years now and a couple of generations back (early 1900s) people were very much undereducated by today's standards. But, in most cases, I believe their education was adequate for the time.

I just pulled up a census record that includes my grandfather and his parents. These numbers come from one page of a Pennsylvania census record in 1940.

Of the people who had not attended school in the past year (those who were probably "done"), most only got to 8th grade.

4 years of college -- 2

2 years of college -- 1

10th grade -- 3

9th grade -- 2

8th grade -- 17

6th grade -- 4

4th grade -- 1

3rd grade -- 2

no school -- 1

About half of the people recorded finished 8th grade. Some did more, some did less. It looks like a bell curve. :)

I think that the answer is that students didn't need as much schooling then to be a valuable part of society. Most people had no use for higher math. And I doubt that they were studying literature and foreign languages. Formal education was not as valuable as it is now.

The two people on this page who finished four years of college were public school teachers.

My great-grandfather finished 8th grade. My great-grandmother was one of the two people with a 3rd grade education. They could both read and write.

Its odd because I always was aware not many in my area were very educated. Just seeing the attendance record just seemed like whoa it was only important to like 5 people kwim? I guess I didnt realize it was this extreme.

• Like 1

My great-grandfather finished 8th grade.  My great-grandmother was one of the two people with a 3rd grade education.  They could both read and write.

ETA;  The census also recorded that the public school teachers worked 32 weeks.  Assuming 5 days/week, that would be 160 days.

A professor I had in College mentioned that his father had only completed 8th grade but knew how to do fractions and exponents in addition the basic math of addition / subtraction / multiplication and division. Even though he had to leave school to supplement the family's income, he found a way to continue learning specific material - not just general knowledge. Sometimes I wonder if people in general were much more motivated?

• Like 1

A professor I had in College mentioned that his father had only completed 8th grade but knew how to do fractions and exponents in addition the basic math of addition / subtraction / multiplication and division. Even though he had to leave school to supplement the family's income, he found a way to continue learning specific material - not just general knowledge. Sometimes I wonder if people in general were much more motivated?

I'm a little confused by this.  Fractions and exponents have been taught before the end of 8th grade for generations.  Currently, in the majority of schools in the U.S., fractions are introduced in K, and exponents in 6th.  So, I'm not sure how an 8th grade graduate knowing them would be evidence that he was more motivated than current students who also know those things by the end of 8th grade.

• Like 2

I'm a little confused by this.  Fractions and exponents have been taught before the end of 8th grade for generations.  Currently, in the majority of schools in the U.S., fractions are introduced in K, and exponents in 6th.  So, I'm not sure how an 8th grade graduate knowing them would be evidence that he was more motivated than current students who also know those things by the end of 8th grade.

I suppose it was somewhat remarkable to me because the local school district graduates some students who struggle with division much less exponents. May depend on individual school districts.

• Like 1

A professor I had in College mentioned that his father had only completed 8th grade but knew how to do fractions and exponents in addition the basic math of addition / subtraction / multiplication and division.

I don't understand why this is a surprise. This math is regularly taught by the end of middle school.  Fractions and percent are 5th grade material.

Edited by regentrude

I knew that during harvest season, boys would not go. And during the harsh winter, no one would go who lived in the country.

I would have loved to have seen those records.

They were so neat. In addition to the student info it had info about the school.

How much it cost to build

How many desks

The sq footage of the chalk board

If the heat stove was in good repair

Number of broken windows

Number of days the students werent able to be kept comfortable and why.

The distance each student lived from school

The number and value of the books

Number of maps, globes and charts

I loved it!

Thats ok. I guess Im just feeling sensitive these days. Im the type to do anything to avoid conflict. It makes me miserable.

I’m like this too. Very few things are worth conflict to me. :0)

Both of my parents were the first generation college grads and the only ones among their siblings. They were born in 1923/24. My dh’s dad graduated from a trade school, and dh and his sister are the only college attendees (both graduated) among the 5 siblings. My only sister and I have degrees. My dh and I have MBAs.

All that said to show progression.

But to tell the truth, my grandparents were pretty well educated by the time they left high school. Dollars to donuts, I think they could have beat me hollow with their knowledge of history, grammar, useful arithmetic and rhetoric/clear writing.

There is an interesting explanation somewhere on the web of the 1680s or so entrance reqs for Harvard, compared to now. I think you had to know Greek AND Latin.

Well, of what value is higher math to a farm wife, store keeper, blacksmith, or factory worker.

However, I do believe that many people valued education and literacy even if they never progressed past the 8th grade. Small towns had literary societies and think about the magazines and newspapers that were subscribed to. In the evenings particularly in winter, reading was a pastime. And when i think about how difficult many classic novels are, I do think that people did value education even if they didn’t have the financial stability to advance through College

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk