Menu

Foreign language online classes

Bon Voyage World Languages Academy!  My kids take French, Chinese, and Italian there!  All the teachers are certified and they offer high school credit. The director just wrote a book on their unique method.  It's called Pathways to Language Fluency.  

The classes are highly engaging and this school is very different than any other online school.

www.bvwla.com

5 hours ago, LizaS said:

Bon Voyage World Languages Academy!  My kids take French, Chinese, and Italian there!  All the teachers are certified and they offer high school credit. The director just wrote a book on their unique method.  It's called Pathways to Language Fluency.  

The classes are highly engaging and this school is very different than any other online school.

www.bvwla.com

The director should be ashamed of herself. Her French course was a disgrace! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

DD22 needs to work on her French this summer before heading to grad school in Switzerland this fall.  I looked through all of these programs as well as others online, and she's used Breaking the Barrier books 1 and 2.  We just paid $10.00 to sign up for CMU online French 1 and it's great!  She's pretty good with reading and writing, but is worried about real-time listening comprehension, and this program puts the focus on listening.  You start the lesson by watching a video of professional actors doing a scene at regular speaking tempo, then the lesson breaks it down with multiple sections of re-listening, answering questions about what is being said to whom, in what order, then moving on to writing, spelling, and grammar.  Seeing the body language and facial expressions seems to help with processing the sounds at speed in a more intuitive way than listening to the CDs from Breaking the Barrier.  Plus we're watching together on the couch along with younger sister and having some great laughs at our own jokes about the characters while practicing.

Edited by Harpymom
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I saw CLRC (clrconline.com) mentioned above as providing a variety of language options.   My son has taken Classical Greek with them for three years (and signed up for a fourth).   I have been very happy with the classes.  They were always small, allowing for a lot of interaction and feedback   The director, Anne Van Fossen, is always responsive and extremely helpful.   I would highly recommend CLRC.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Global Goose Languages, Summer Osborn teaches French 1, 2,and 3. Her classes are very interactive, using a variety of resources. Also, the tuition is reduced as more students enroll in the class. My ds completed French 1 last year, and finally has a better understanding of French. Summer also has good communication with the students and parents. 

• 1 month later...

TPS (The Potter's School) offers a variety of foreign languages. I highly recommend their Russian program; Mrs. Pledger is an amazing teacher. DD did very well in Russian 1 last year. TPS offers Russian 1 - 3, and another plus is TPS is regionally accredited, which is important for a couple scholarships DD is applying for soon. The textbook is pricey, but it's used for Russian 1-3. Keep the access code that comes with the purchase (I think Pearson language Lab is also done for this course), as you'll need that for each year of Russian 1-3.

Excelsior German 1 - I wish I'd read this thread before signing up DS for German 1. The level of German homework expected right away is ridiculous....and this comes from my DH, who took German in college. One of the things a student must do for the homework is enter it online in PowerSchool. So, a student is looking from his completed homework sheets to entering it online etc. 

• Sad 1

• 7 months later...

FYI, PA Homeschoolers has a new AP Spanish Language & Culture teacher.

https://www.aphomeschoolers.com/cgi-bin/choose.pl?class=apspanish

Ray Leven is still teaching, but only through his own website, and I believe he doesn’t plan to teach AP Spanish Language during the ‘20-‘21 school year.

https://sites.google.com/site/spanishlearningonline/

• Like 2

On 10/2/2017 at 4:48 AM, RootAnn said:

The master list of Online Classes found on the General Board has a section in the first post specifically for language classes. That section mentions providers who are primarily foreign language class-focused. I've cut & pasted. (Links don't cut & paste well so I've removed them.) The Master List has some reviews of some of the below classes. I've left out some the have already been mentioned & I duplicated other mentions.

121 Spanish
CLRC (Latin, Greek, Arabic, Chinese (new), French, German, Japanese, Russian, Spanish)
Dwayne Thomas  (Latin and Greek)
Homeschool Spanish Academy
La Clase Divertida (Spanish)
Language City
Lively Latin
Lone Pine Classical School (mainly Middle School/High School Latin and Greek)
OSU German On-line
Ray Leven (Hebrew and Spanish)

Other providers offer language classes:

The Potter's School (Arabic, Hebrew, Chinese, French, Spanish, German, Latin, Russian)

Memoria Press

Kolbe Academy

Homeschool Connections

Currclick

Classical Academic Press

Bright Ideas Press

HSLDA Online

Excelsior (Arabic, French, German, Japanese, Spanish)

Debra Bell (French, Spanish, Portugese)

Big River Academy (Italian, German, Latin, Chinese, Russian, Spanish)

Thank you!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oregon State and Northern State University (Aberdeen, SD) both seem to have robust online language offerings, including Chinese.  NS is on the quarter system in case that's of help for scheduling (it is for us).  I've emailed both of their admissions or DE departments and received prompt responses.  Tuition for Oregon State's online courses is at the in-state rate; I had to email NS for theirs but don't remember what it was.  I am looking for spring, 2021, so we have no experience yet with the actual instruction.  Also, Georgia Tech has some online courses in Japanese and Russian that are open to high school students through their professional education department if space is available.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Spanish 1 online with Kolbe Academy has been great this year, using Avancemos. The teacher is new but great-- my son's favorite Spanish teacher so far. The Spanish 1 class meets once/week but there is an optional second meeting on a different day where one just practices the Spanish learned thus far in that class.

• Like 3

Putting a note on here that Classes By Beth + has lost their website. It is definitely not a family friendly site.

I was going through links on here for next year's Spanish I class with my youngest and clicked over from a 2017 post. Do not do that.

New website for Classes By Beth: https://seasonslearning.carrd.co/ Note that they are splitting, but the individual teachers will be teaching.  

• Like 3

• 1 year later...