Menu

What's with the ads?

musicianmom

Foreign language online classes

3 hours ago, Renai said:

Bon Voyage World Languages Academy. She used to only teach French, but hired other native teachers and offers many languages now.: https://bonvoyagefrance.com/

We have had the single most terrible experience with this class. Absolute waste of money. If anybody wants to ask specifics, PM me.

• Like 2

Bon Voyage World Languages Academy!  My kids take French, Chinese, and Italian there!  All the teachers are certified and they offer high school credit. The director just wrote a book on their unique method.  It's called Pathways to Language Fluency.  

The classes are highly engaging and this school is very different than any other online school.

www.bvwla.com

5 hours ago, LizaS said:

Bon Voyage World Languages Academy!  My kids take French, Chinese, and Italian there!  All the teachers are certified and they offer high school credit. The director just wrote a book on their unique method.  It's called Pathways to Language Fluency.  

The classes are highly engaging and this school is very different than any other online school.

www.bvwla.com

The director should be ashamed of herself. Her French course was a disgrace! 

• Like 1

Not to sound stupid, but OSU?  I'm interested in their online German, but am I looking for Oklahoma?  Oregon?  

On 6/12/2019 at 8:11 AM, craftymama said:

Not to sound stupid, but OSU?  I'm interested in their online German, but am I looking for Oklahoma?  Oregon?  

Oklahoma

• Like 1

DD22 needs to work on her French this summer before heading to grad school in Switzerland this fall.  I looked through all of these programs as well as others online, and she's used Breaking the Barrier books 1 and 2.  We just paid $10.00 to sign up for CMU online French 1 and it's great!  She's pretty good with reading and writing, but is worried about real-time listening comprehension, and this program puts the focus on listening.  You start the lesson by watching a video of professional actors doing a scene at regular speaking tempo, then the lesson breaks it down with multiple sections of re-listening, answering questions about what is being said to whom, in what order, then moving on to writing, spelling, and grammar.  Seeing the body language and facial expressions seems to help with processing the sounds at speed in a more intuitive way than listening to the CDs from Breaking the Barrier.  Plus we're watching together on the couch along with younger sister and having some great laughs at our own jokes about the characters while practicing.

Edited by Harpymom
  • Like 1

I saw CLRC (clrconline.com) mentioned above as providing a variety of language options.   My son has taken Classical Greek with them for three years (and signed up for a fourth).   I have been very happy with the classes.  They were always small, allowing for a lot of interaction and feedback   The director, Anne Van Fossen, is always responsive and extremely helpful.   I would highly recommend CLRC.

• Like 1

Global Goose Languages, Summer Osborn teaches French 1, 2,and 3. Her classes are very interactive, using a variety of resources. Also, the tuition is reduced as more students enroll in the class. My ds completed French 1 last year, and finally has a better understanding of French. Summer also has good communication with the students and parents. 

TPS (The Potter's School) offers a variety of foreign languages. I highly recommend their Russian program; Mrs. Pledger is an amazing teacher. DD did very well in Russian 1 last year. TPS offers Russian 1 - 3, and another plus is TPS is regionally accredited, which is important for a couple scholarships DD is applying for soon. The textbook is pricey, but it's used for Russian 1-3. Keep the access code that comes with the purchase (I think Pearson language Lab is also done for this course), as you'll need that for each year of Russian 1-3.

Excelsior German 1 - I wish I'd read this thread before signing up DS for German 1. The level of German homework expected right away is ridiculous....and this comes from my DH, who took German in college. One of the things a student must do for the homework is enter it online in PowerSchool. So, a student is looking from his completed homework sheets to entering it online etc. 

• Sad 1