Menu

Foreign language online classes

Could we have a master list of high school foreign language courses offered online?

I'll start: 

Well-Trained Mind Academy: French 1 & 2, Latin 1, German 1 & 2

Lukeion Project: Latin 1-6 (including AP), Greek 1-7

PA Homeschoolers: AP Spanish

Wittenberg Academy: Greek 1, Latin 1-4, German 1-4

Please give reviews of any of these you've used, and add more that you know of, especially classes in other languages! My oldest is in 7th grade, so I am just getting started. She is taking Latin and Spanish now because it's convenient, but she isn't really excited about going further with either language. She wants to become fluent in a language that interests her. I want her to  pick something that she can continue all the way through AP level. Whatever language it ends up being, I think an online class is the best option for her to learn. Local classes are limited to Latin or Spanish, and she's just not the kind of kid who's going to buckle down and teach herself.

Homeschool Spanish Academy -- Levels 1-4

We are looooooving them!  My 10th grader wants to do a class every day.  Their teachers are super sweet, and DD has liked them all but has really clicked with a couple.  She went through all of DuoLingo, but I think she got nervous on her placement test, so they started her in Spanish 1, when I was hoping she'd place into at least Spanish 2.  They've been really fabulous about going quickly for her, and she's acing the course.  They schedule Spanish 1 to take 60 sessions.  DD has had nine sessions so far, and within a few sessions (maybe four?), she'll be halfway finished with Spanish 1.  At the same time, there is plenty of time built in for review and practice for students who need it.  They do chat about whatever is interesting to the student, in order to practice their skills in a more natural way, and they happily tell DD how to say things she wants to know, even if it's not on their specific list.  Their customer service has been absolutely wonderful too.

Edited by happypamama
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

DD16 uses Middlebury Interactive.

She is on her second year of German and since we use teacher-support, I have to say that the quality of the course totally depends on the teacher.  Her first year, the teacher was located in Korea, we are in Alaska and the school is based out of the East Coast.  It was impossible to find a time during the teacher's "office hours" for DD to ask questions and email responses were always delayed a day. Additionally, the teacher's first language was not English (or German) and her emails were often difficult to understand.

This year, her teacher is located in Montana.  Office hours overlap with our actual school day and she can do online chat or skype with the teacher when she doesn't understand a concept or has difficulty with pronunciation.  Emails are answered very promptly.

Middlebury worked out the time zone issues this year. Last year, DD16's assignments were marked late if they weren't completed by 5pm East Coast Time, which is like 1pm here and I complained about this to them.  This year, she has until 8pm here (midnight there) and it gives a little more flexibility for us.

Homeschool Spanish Academy -- Levels 1-4

We are looooooving them!  My 10th grader wants to do a class every day.  Their teachers are super sweet, and DD has liked them all but has really clicked with a couple.  She went through all of DuoLingo, but I think she got nervous on her placement test, so they started her in Spanish 1, when I was hoping she'd place into at least Spanish 2.  They've been really fabulous about going quickly for her, and she's acing the course.  They schedule Spanish 1 to take 60 sessions.  DD has had nine sessions so far, and within a few sessions (maybe four?), she'll be halfway finished with Spanish 1.  At the same time, there is plenty of time built in for review and practice for students who need it.  They do chat about whatever is interesting to the student, in order to practice their skills in a more natural way, and they happily tell DD how to say things she wants to know, even if it's not on their specific list.  Their customer service has been absolutely wonderful too.

How did their placement test work? I've browsed their website (a lot!) and can't find anything substantive about placement.

Do you have a link to their placement test? 

How did their placement test work? I've browsed their website (a lot!) and can't find anything substantive about placement.

DD#1 had an informal placement test at her sample lesson. There was a more specific/substantive one at her first lesson. I believe they used their semester tests to see if the kid knew the grammar concepts. It was oral with the teacher - with perhaps a copy of the test on the screen?? I think they went one additional semester test past where DD started flubbing to see how fast they could go through the material and what was truly new vs. introduced-but-not-mastered concepts. I don't think they'd publish it or give you a copy of their normal tests.

You can see their scope & sequence somewhere (maybe as a download?). That would give you a good idea of what they'd test at the different levels.

• Like 1

The master list of Online Classes found on the General Board has a section in the first post specifically for language classes. That section mentions providers who are primarily foreign language class-focused. I've cut & pasted. (Links don't cut & paste well so I've removed them.) The Master List has some reviews of some of the below classes. I've left out some the have already been mentioned & I duplicated other mentions.

121 Spanish
CLRC (Latin, Greek, Arabic, Chinese (new), French, German, Japanese, Russian, Spanish)
Dwayne Thomas  (Latin and Greek)
Homeschool Spanish Academy
La Clase Divertida (Spanish)
Language City
Lively Latin
Lone Pine Classical School (mainly Middle School/High School Latin and Greek)
OSU German On-line
Ray Leven (Hebrew and Spanish)

Other providers offer language classes:

The Potter's School (Arabic, Hebrew, Chinese, French, Spanish, German, Latin, Russian)

Memoria Press

Kolbe Academy

Homeschool Connections

Currclick

Classical Academic Press

Bright Ideas Press

HSLDA Online

Excelsior (Arabic, French, German, Japanese, Spanish)

Debra Bell (French, Spanish, Portugese)

Big River Academy (Italian, German, Latin, Chinese, Russian, Spanish)

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 4

Frau Cruz, HSLDA and somewhere else? GERMAN, Ds liked her. Manageable homework, lots of cultural extras.

Frau Gleason, Excelsior. GERMAN Ds finds her a tougher teacher, homework level higher, input insanely too much. No mercy on any work. Lots of history and culture. Also doing German club with outside speakers. Going to be a tougher year.

Ralph Dally, Aslyoucando.com and Bright Ideas academy? Love him. Great teacher. Dd did 2 years of ASL with him. Can sign well with deaf community. Has paper reports twice a year.

Edited by tess in the burbs
  • Like 1

They don’t have a link online anywhere. They just talked with her and maybe put stuff up using screen share. I’m not sure. But for the actual classes, every lesson is available online beforehand, and they just tell us which parts are assigned as homework. Edited by happypamama
  • Like 1

AP French through Laurel Springs School uses Powerspeak. It covered all the necessary topics. There was enough teacher support. Occasionally we had problems with the system, little glitches with recording or whatever. Overall it was good preparation.

This is good to know. Did they grade essays? May I ask what your student ended up scoring on the test? (Mine needs a 5 otherwise we've no reason to bother).

AP French through Laurel Springs School uses Powerspeak. It covered all the necessary topics. There was enough teacher support. Occasionally we had problems with the system, little glitches with recording or whatever. Overall it was good preparation.

Do they have live classes? How many times per week?

They are extremely expansive, so I am assuming therebis some interaction with teachers.

AP French through Laurel Springs has good teacher support, but they don't have life classes. You work through the powerspeak course, the teacher grades the work, and is available in iClassrooms or via Skype-type conference calls for as much help as is needed. My daughter had good spoken French when she started the class, but she said this was very good practice for the exam questions. There was a lot of drill in the oral 2-3 minute oral response to questions which gets them good at formulating quick responses, not using too many verbal fillers, getting used to being recorded. There was also a lot of cultural information. The course is structured like the exam, provides a lot of vocabulary related to the culture questions. I suspect the teacher support varies, but my experience is that Laurel Springs teachers are very good and very responsive. Our only frustration was with technical glitches on the powerspeak side. My daughter got a 5 on the exam. As to essays, we don't remember any thing longer than a typical AP FRQ. 

• Like 3

Sorry .. to derail the thread

Homeschool Spanish Users - are you having trouble scheduling classes. When I try to schedule a class almost nothing is available.

Thanks.

We have to schedule far in advance if we want our favorite teacher. And it does seem like sometimes it is hard to find anyone available. There are definitely more openings as we book farther out. But also, check back. People might cancel. Edited by happypamama
  • Like 2

Any one know of any AP Spanish courses outside of PAH/Ray Levin?

The Potter School offers an AP Spanish class. You sign up for their Spanish 4/5 class and then their AP Spanish supplement class. It takes it to a twice per week class (one for Span 4/5 & one for AP Span supplement).

I have to decide what to do about my dd & Spanish next year, so I'm all  :bigear: about either of these options. (Not sure DD would take the AP test for a couple of reasons, but keeping the options open.)

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 1

The Potter School offers an AP Spanish class. You sign up for their Spanish 4/5 class and then their AP Spanish supplement class. It takes it to a twice per week class (one for Span 4/5 & one for AP Span supplement).

I have to decide what to do about my dd & Spanish next year, so I'm all  :bigear: about either of these options. (Not sure DD would take the AP test for a couple of reasons, but keeping the options open.)

Thank you for the link!

I am rather frustrated that so many online homeschool options are religious in nature. Unfortunately, after following the path to the Potter School, they proclaim a "Biblical world view" which I've gotten more and more averse to over the years. Ugh.

I'm thinking maybe just having her do an online college class or an in-person college class might be the best option for us for next year, if she wants to do a formal course. 

Thank you for the link!

I am rather frustrated that so many online homeschool options are religious in nature. Unfortunately, after following the path to the Potter School, they proclaim a "Biblical world view" which I've gotten more and more averse to over the years. Ugh.

I'm thinking maybe just having her do an online college class or an in-person college class might be the best option for us for next year, if she wants to do a formal course. 

I understand. I've avoided TPS so far. We don't have any in-person college classes that will work for the 'next level up' Spanish. Is there a specific reason you've crossed off Leven? (PM me if you prefer.)

Some of the online providers like Johns Hopkins, Stanford Online, and K12. I saw an EdX course, too. There's LanguageBird, but I know nothing about them. (I can't tell "level" from what info they have posted. Suspicious that 24 "meetings" can make an entire year of progress in a language.) 

My kid thrives on live classes & the interaction with other kids, so I'm definitely looking for a live component. I'm not necessarily looking for 10+ hours of work each week, though.

• Like 1

I don't. The instructor used to teach at OG3; he is a native speaker.

For the Language City Academy, my dd took the OG3 class and liked the instructor fairly well. She didn't like the online class format, though. Time wasn't good for us and the chat box portion was annoying to her. The recorded version might be a good option for us next year. Now if I can figure out placement....

ETA- there is a way to request a placement test on the registration forms for IIA and above: http://www.languagecityacademy.com/our-classes/french/#french-iia-class-registration

ETA 2. The professor emailed me a placement test to email back and says, yes, answers to written exercises are included.

Edited by MamaSprout
  • Like 1

For Latin, mine used Veritas Press. Classic Academic Press, and Lukeion.

Veritas Press uses Wheelock's and was very good. The classes were larger, but mine were challenged and did well. One teacher wasn't quite as good, but she was having a lot of personal problems and left at the end of the year for full-time employment elsewhere. That can happen with any school.

Classic Academic Press was VERY awesome. My younger one did Latin 3 and 4 there and had lovely small classes that were more of a tutorial. 

Lukeion is right for the right kid. The classes got smaller as we went up and are very rigorous. It was the right choice for one, and not the other.

We have also been very pleased with the online Spanish classes through the local community college. I met the professor in two classes I took on online instructional design and teaching, and she does an incredible job. You have to watch the pace of college classes, but mine did this after four years of high school Latin, and they both loved it. My daughter is in college there now and continues with that professor.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

The Latin classes offered by Elizabeth Thomas at Big River Academy are the ones my son is taking, using the Latin Alive! series.

She offers Latin A and B. Each is a year long. Latin A covers the first half of Latin Alive I and Latin B covers the second half. Then, you move to her Latin II class with LA II.

Another source for a half-paced, first-year Latin course is available from The Potter's School:

Latin 1A: Language, Literature, and Culture

Latin 1B: Language, Literature, and Culture

The text used: 

Latin for the New Millennium, Level 1 (Student Text)
— Author: Terence Tunberg and Milena Minkova
— ISBN-10: 0865165602
— ISBN-13: 978-0865165601

Both with Big River Academy and Potter's School, the each year is worth 0.5 credit. So, 1A and 1B would be a full credit, done in two years. 

Just wanted others to know that there are slower-paced options out there for Latin, if needed.

Edited by historymatters
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

EdX Basic Spanish 1 and 2

https://www.edx.org/course/basic-spanish-1-getting-started-upvalenciax-bsp101x

https://www.edx.org/course/basic-spanish-2-one-step-further-upvalenciax-bsp102x-0

Gale courses are sometimes free with a library card. Classes are 2 lessons a week for 6 weeks, with 12 quizzes and then a final exam. A certificate is awarded.

Speed Spanish 1, 2, and 3

https://education.gale.com/l-ccswrk/SearchResults.aspx?SearchTerms=speed+spanish

Edited by Hunter
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious to know if anyone has just had their children take online foreign language classes through their state universities? That was the approach I was going to take so that we could count it as dual enrollment and my children wouldn't have to take it again in college.

We have but not online,for two different languages.

It’s been a mixed experience, absolutely brilliant for one language and a disaster for the other.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Sra. Ana Carmona is a native Spaniard and Spanish teacher. She started teaching for Landry right before it closed, and started teaching on her own as her students wanted to stay with her. She is teaching Spanish 2 and 3, but is planning to continue with 4 (next year) and AP. Here's her website: https://sites.google.com/view/sraanacarmona/home?authuser=0 

Edited to add: She has moved to Luma Learn, where other foreign language (and other) classes are available: http://www.lumalearn.com

Edited by Renai
Change website
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sra. Ana Carmona is a native Spaniard and Spanish teacher. She started teaching for Landry right before it closed, and started teaching on her own as her students wanted to stay with her. She is teaching Spanish 2 and 3, but is planning to continue with 4 (next year) and AP. Here's her website: https://sites.google.com/view/sraanacarmona/home?authuser=0

I'd love to hear a review of her classes. Do you have a kid in one now? Do you know when she plans to put her schedule out for next year?

I'd love to hear a review of her classes. Do you have a kid in one now? Do you know when she plans to put her schedule out for next year?

I know of her because I also teach Spanish. We have been volunteers with an online coop teaching Destinos for the past couple of years. She is (or was, I don't know if she still is) also a b & m Spanish teacher here in the states. I haven't heard her teach, but I do see the results of the teaching with the student test grades in the coop, which have a high average. Ah, she has a Facebook page for her classes: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100017794110931. She answers her messenger within 24 hours.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

There is a new online provider that my rising 9th grader is signed up with to take French in the 2018-19 school year. Global Goose Languages offers live courses in French for elementary, middle, and high school students. The fees are based on the number of students in the course and are quite reasonable for a live course. The instructor has a pretty active facebook page (search for Mrs. Summer's French Classes) and has taught French to homeschoolers locally (to her, not to me) for a number of years. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/3/2017 at 4:08 AM, CAJinBE said:

AP French through Laurel Springs has good teacher support, but they don't have life classes. You work through the powerspeak course, the teacher grades the work, and is available in iClassrooms or via Skype-type conference calls for as much help as is needed. My daughter had good spoken French when she started the class, but she said this was very good practice for the exam questions. There was a lot of drill in the oral 2-3 minute oral response to questions which gets them good at formulating quick responses, not using too many verbal fillers, getting used to being recorded. There was also a lot of cultural information. The course is structured like the exam, provides a lot of vocabulary related to the culture questions. I suspect the teacher support varies, but my experience is that Laurel Springs teachers are very good and very responsive. Our only frustration was with technical glitches on the powerspeak side. My daughter got a 5 on the exam. As to essays, we don't remember any thing longer than a typical AP FRQ. 

What program did your daughter use prior to Laurel Springs?  Thanks.

3 hours ago, Deb in NJ said:

What program did your daughter use prior to Laurel Springs?  Thanks.

She had attended primary school in Belgium, French speaking. That's why she had good speaking skills. We had continued off and on with a private tutor which we called French 3 and French 4. My younger daughter just finished the powerspeak course through Clonlara school and took the AP exam this week. She said the exam was easy. She only attended a French speaking school from first through fourth grades and then we used a private tutor for high school French. We will see in July how she did. The technical problems seemed to be worked out with the course.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...