Menu

What photo editor besides Adobe subscription-based programs?

Ginevra

I recently cancelled my subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud because I don't use it often enough to justify the monthly $30 expense. I don't do pro photography, but I do serious amateur photography. Well, cancelling was painful because they charge you for the balance of a year, so you can't, for example, just join for a month and then cancel at the end of the month.

Anyway, a nice girl I know just asked me if I would do senior pictures of her, and I do want to. But I really, really want to be able to edit the photos to make them as nice as they can possibly be. I thouht I could get Aperture (I have a Mac), but I just read that this is discontinued? I'm not sure. Is there anything I can get that is NOT subscription-based, ar, at least, does not charge for a year no matter when you start or stop?

P.S. The feature of Adobe that I most liked was the ability to zoom in on the face and "heal" blemishes, as well as precisely dodge, burn and saturate eyes, lips and hair. Being able to fine-tune contrast and brightness overall was also something I used often.

• Like 1

Ipiccy.com is free.

It can do all the things you want to do (I think). I use it to edit Senior Portraits I do for kids. Go to my FB page, find my pictures of "Chelsea-Senior Portraits" and "Kylee-Senior Portraits". Both of those were edited with ipiccy.com only. I have Photoshop Elements that I use for a few specific things, but other than that, I use ipiccy for everything I do.

There is a way to apply the changes you make to just parts of the picture and not the whole picture, but it might not be obvious at first how to do it. If you decide you'd like to use ipiccy, FB message me and I'll walk you through it. It's easy, but hard to describe in writing and I won't bother writing it all out if you don't want to use it.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 2

I am not sure if all of these will work on a MAC, but you might look at the Applications listed under "Graphics and Imaging" in the article on this URL:

Possibly you will get an idea from that article about something that will be satisfactory for what you need to do and that will also work on a MAC..

FWIW, I think Adobe changed to the SAS (Software as a Service) model for all of their Applications. DD enrolled in a course about Digital and Interactive Media early this month and they specify "Software needed: You will be using digital illustration software such as Adobe Illustrator or Inkscape for this course. You can download a free 30-day trial of Adobe Illustrator from the Adobe Creative Cloud site. You can download Inkscape for free"

DD will be using Inkscape for that course... 

• Like 1