Menu

Headache experts, please help me.

unsinkable

Is this a sinus headache, or barometric pressure headache or a migraine? Or stress?

Forehead pain, pain under eyes and side of nose, plus pain in lower back of skull.

No congestion.

The weather has changed...really unseasonally warm to fall, rainy.

Nausea. no vomiting but really close. light sensitivity. Dizziness.

I tried Excedrin alternating with ibuprophen. I take diphenhydramine at night.

Nothing has helped. Not even sleep.

Any adive? Please Help. Or Send Someone With A Sledgehammer To Put Me Out Of My Misery.

And What Did I Press To Get All Word Caps?

The pain around the eyes and nose, nausea, light sensitivity and dizziness sound a lot like my migraines.

Pain killers, lots and lots of caffeine, salty food, and a heating pad are my best advice - but you really just have to ride it out and let it pass, in my experience.

Hope you feel better soon!

• Like 2

The pain around the eyes and nose, nausea, light sensitivity and dizziness sound a lot like my migraines.

Pain killers, lots and lots of caffeine, salty food, and a heating pad are my best advice - but you really just have to ride it out and let it pass, in my experience.

Heating pad, where? On my forehead?

This does not feel like the migraines I had when I was younger. But it also doesn't feel like a weather or sinus headache.

Which OTC painkillers do you think would be best?

Try massaging the back of your head just slightly above where your skull and spine meet and on both sides. Use firm pressure, but not too hard. Do this until your hands become too tired. Repeat it several times a day for several days and see what happens. It may or may not help. This helped me. I learned it from my massage therapist. At the very least it will loosen those muscles and may be one factor in helping it get better.

Thanks. I'll start this.

Eye pain, nausea, light sensitivity, dizziness? Sounds like a migraine. How long has your head been hurting? If you've never had a headache like this before, or it's been more than two days, I would go to the doctor. In my family we have a history of migraines, so I tend to be a little cavalier about them, but in general you should always take new neurological symptoms very seriously. I don't want to worry you unnecessarily, but sometimes they're signs of extremely serious acute conditions, especially if they last a very long time or are much worse than any headache you've ever had.

• Like 3

Yep, sounds like a migraine. For me, caffeine helps, but aspirin and acetaminophen cause a rebound that make it worse, so no Excedrin for me. Ibuprofen can help, if I take it at prescription level dose AND if I catch it early enough.

But if I don't, the only thing that fixes it is Relpax. Which makes me sick as a dog for about 2 hrs, but then it's gone.

I had relpax for migraines when I was younger. I had to take it right away or it didn't work.

It's been over 30 hours now so I missed the opportunity, but I don't have any relpax any way. :-(

Eye pain, nausea, light sensitivity, dizziness? Sounds like a migraine. How long has your head been hurting? If you've never had a headache like this before, or it's been more than two days, I would go to the doctor. In my family we have a history of migraines, so I tend to be a little cavalier about them, but in general you should always take new neurological symptoms very seriously. I don't want to worry you unnecessarily, but sometimes they're signs of extremely serious acute conditions, especially if they last a very long time or are much worse than any headache you've ever had.

I've had migraines before but not with so much sinus pressure, KWIM?

Edited to add: and thanks for the advice on acute symptoms. I have heard it before and it is vital to seek medical help for something you'd describe as the worst headache you've ever had. I've lost family members to cerebral aneurysm and brain bleeds.

I'll go in if it gets worse.

Edited by unsinkable
  • Like 2

Mine are usually on the right side of my head, but will take a hot shower, alternate ice packs and heating pads, I used to take Sudafed to open me up (but it raises blood pressure so I stopped that), and for some reason, a cold can/bottle of Coke for the caffeine (opens up your constricted blood vessels).

I used to get migraines, but now mine are sinus headaches related to changes in barometric pressure. 

• Like 1

Mine are usually on the right side of my head, but will take a hot shower, alternate ice packs and heating pads, I used to take Sudafed to open me up (but it raises blood pressure so I stopped that), and for some reason, a cold can/bottle of Coke for the caffeine (opens up your constricted blood vessels).

I used to get migraines, but now mine are sinus headaches related to changes in barometric pressure.

I thought it was sinus and/ or barometric pressure related but the nausea and near vomiting has me confused.

It sure sounds like migraine to me, perhaps combined with sinus and/or stress. But honestly, given how long it's gone on and the fact that it's an unusual combination of headache symptoms, I'd go in to the doctor. Is there a nurse line in your area that you could call for advice? You could also definitely go to the ER, esp if this headache is incapacitating for you (and it sounds pretty severe). If it's migraine, the ER docs will give you a bolus of medications that will stop it. And if it's something more serious, you'd be in the right place, kwim?

My dd suffers from very severe migraines (as well as sinusitis), and has been to the ER three times (once by ambulance) in the last year, while she was away at college. Her doctor here, last fall, had encouraged her to do this if she ever got a severe migraine that her meds wouldn't take care of. Then this past spring, when she graduated and moved back home, he referred her to a neurologist, who's been able to manage the migraines better.

Anyway, I'd recommend you seek medical care and find out what this headache is.

I hope and pray you feel better soon!  :grouphug:

• Like 2

I thought it was sinus and/ or barometric pressure related but the nausea and near vomiting has me confused.

Mine have gotten that bad before -- if I don't catch them early enough.  I have gotten them when a storm or front of some kind come through.  I try to keep track now of what types of changes in pressure affect me.  

When I get bad, my DH and kids know -- they can see it in my eyes and face :-(.  DH will rub my neck and head and that has helped ease some of the discomfort before (especially rubbing my head).  Sometimes we get so tense (in the neck and shoulders) because we hurt so bad, and that doesn't help any.  

As for caffeine, coffee and other sodas don't work for me.  For the weirdest reason, it needs to be a cold Coke with no ice -- from a can or bottle.  I only drink soda now when I'm getting a headache.

If you are taking meds, try to get a little something into your stomach -- I agree with salty foods.  Crackers or something.

Sometimes bad headaches come with dehydration too.

• Like 2

This sounds like the migraines I get, including the sinus pressure. 

If you aren't taking Excedrin Migraine, I'd get that, and take it with a cold glass of Coke for the added caffeine. If you can get to the doctor, or happen to have some on hand, taking it with...ummm, that anti-nausea med that starts with a Z....(I always mix up, Zofran? Zyrtec? one is allergy, one is nausea)....it's an Rx, but taking it *with* the Excedrin Migraine is a proven "cocktail" that helps speed relief. 

Ibuprofen will often cause a rebound headache, so take sparingly. 

Usually I take the Excedrin Migraine immediately, with the anti-nausea med, put myself to bed, and stay there and sleep it off. If I do it right away, it works. You said you're past the 30 hours mark.....you might need to keep throwing meds at it and keep sleeping until it passes. :( I usually alternate with ibuprofen + a sinus med (I like Walgreens off-brand Walphed, in a green box, behind the counter because it's real Sudafed), or I take Excedrin Migraine + the anti-nausea med + the sinus med. 

Expect to be sleepy for a day after the pain goes away, like "can barely get out of bed to eat and use the bathroom" sleepy. 

Also expect to be in a post-migraine fog after as well. 

I'm sorry, though; it really sucks. I usually get mine only once/month (yay, hormones) but as I'm more and more in perimenopause, I've been having them more often, which is highly annoying. (ha, understatement of the year). 

• Like 2

I'm reading replies but might not reply.

I've got one of those microwavable bean filled heating pads around my neck and shoulders.

I did have some pop with caffeine and a handful of oyster crackers,plus the Excedrin and ibuprophen.

I might take a nap then if I don't feel better go get sudafed.

Thanks so much.

Is it both eyes or one side only?  If both I'd go see a doctor, just to check for other possible issues - like a stroke. Or severe sinus infection.

If one side only it's likely a migraine. I'd:

• send someone for Mexican coke or an energy drink (caffeine is a vasoconstrictor). Corn syrup reduces nausea, so if you can't find Mexican Coke choose something with corn syrup - perhaps Mountain Dew.
  • Drink a liter of ice water and/or take a cold shower (cold is a vasoconstrictor).
  • Rub peppermint essential oil on the temple of the painful side.
  • take an Antihistamine combo of benadryl & zantac (histamine is one of the neurotransmitters involved in migraines.
  • eat an apple or two (contains compounds that break down histamine rather than blocking it).
  • Like 3

Sounds like a migraine. Here’s what works for me when excedrin migraine doesn’t help...

Sleep

Benadryl (a friend told me this & it does help.. I do this at night so I’m not passed out all day)

I find relief with peppermint oil added to my temples and base of the neck. I don’t use a carrier oil. When the peppermint wears off my migraine is still there usually, but it’s wonderful temporary relief.

I also own a tens unit & I’ll put that on my shoulders. Again, this is just temporary relief, but helps while I’m wearing the unit. I will also have my husband massage my neck and shoulders as hard as he can (I’m sore the next day) but it really helps.

Lastly, if I pinch my eyebrows using my thumb and pointer finger (starting by my nose & work my way out). That’s a pressure point area that can offer relief and it really helps. Weird I know, but it helps.

Edited by mytwomonkeys
  • Like 1

Try massaging the back of your head just slightly above where your skull and spine meet and on both sides. Use firm pressure, but not too hard. Do this until your hands become too tired. Repeat it several times a day for several days and see what happens. It may or may not help. This helped me. I learned it from my massage therapist. At the very least it will loosen those muscles and may be one factor in helping it get better.

I have never tried this, but thank you for mentioning it, because if it worked for you, hopefully it will help some of the rest of us who also get migraines. :hurray:

• Like 1

It sounds like the migraine I just had for three days... and then I got one good day... and then I got a rebound headache for another day. It sounds like your stomach is a lot worse than mine was, but I often get that symptom and the nausea can be worse than the headache. I think I'm okay now, but I stayed home all day and didn't go out in the sunlight at all because glare is a big trigger for me at times like this -- car headlights bother me at night, too.

I hope you feel better soon! I took Midol for the first headache because I was thinking it was allergy/sinus/weather related and Midol usually helps with those, but when I started getting the rebound headache yesterday, I went straight for the prescription Imitrex and it worked.

Migraines suck. They're so painful and depressing, and then when the headache finally goes away, you can feel so hungover and draggy for days afterward. :(

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 1

Hi, Ladies!

I apologize for not updating. I felt much better Saturday morning and afternoon. I think it was a good night's sleep.

I do have that hungover feeling that I would get back when I had migraines more regularly so I guess in hindsight, it was a migraine.

I appreciate all the advice. I got this bean-filled thing out that you heat in the microwave, based on the thread's advice. It felt so good. I'm going to have to remember that! It is huge, though, the kind that wraps over your shoulders and around your neck. I want to get a smaller one for my forehead.

Thank you again!

• Like 3

I'm glad you're feeling better!

If it happens again, you may want to consider seeing a neurologist (or possibly talking with your primary care doctor) about getting a prescription strength migraine medication (e.g. Imitrex, Relpax, etc). There are many different options out there and they can relieve the pain within a few hours. Hopefully this won't happen to you again, but just in case, it wouldn't hurt to have the medication on hand. Again, I'm glad you're doing better. 😊