Menu

WWYD...I'm sure I'm overthinking this..

SparklyUnicorn

I have to go to a parent meeting for one of my kid's activities.  It's mandatory (but I've also been to this same meeting 4 times and it's always the same).  Anyway, I have to be somewhere after, and so I must leave by a certain time.  The meeting should be mostly over by then, but sometimes they run over.  But, I need to get out of there by that time to make it to the next thing on time.  Would you quietly sneak out?  Or should I tell the organizer beforehand that I'm sneaking out?  Or what? 

Again, I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but I really don't know.  Either way, I'm leaving at that time.  So...  LOL

I'd try to mention it beforehand, matter of factly and without excuses. Don't feel bad for leaving, though. People do it all the time.

Oh I don't feel bad.  Several parents obviously do not attend this "mandatory" meeting.  There are over 100 kids there yet maybe 20-25 parents show up.  So, no way could they all be attending. 

• Like 1

I hate meetings. I'd mention to the organizer I had to be somewhere else, and I'd probably leave earlier than necessary because the only thing worse than a meeting is a mandatory meeting with the same content 5 times in a row.

I hate them too.  The first year I thought it was worthwhile because I was new to the organization and they answered a lot of my questions. Now, it's the same stuff I already know that they e-mail 100,000 times anyway. 

• Like 2

Oh I don't feel bad. Several parents obviously do not attend this "mandatory" meeting. There are over 100 kids there yet maybe 20-25 parents show up. So, no way could they all be attending.

Oh those are awful. I always feel like a sucker for going (especially year after year) but guilty if I don't.

• Like 4

Oh those are awful. I always feel like a sucker for going (especially year after year) but guilty if I don't.

Exactly.  And I'm one of the few parents who waits around during the activity (seems like a waste of gas to go all the way back home so I just wait and do my homework).  So I feel like they will notice if I'm not there.  Maybe not.  Maybe that's in my head. 

I try to behave.   LOL

• Like 1

I'd email them that you did already get the info (via previous four meetings and their emails) and tonight I need to attend an event for a different kid. Or words to that effect.  Can't be that mandatory if only a quarter of the parents ever attend.  Or do they then penalize 75% of the kids whose folks skipped it?

• Like 1

I am so over parent meetings! And yes, I feel like a sucker when "mandatory" obviously isn't. I'm a rule follower so I go but I sit there thinking "I already know the rules and I follow them and I pay my fees on time. The people you need to talk to are the ones not at this meeting." I wish they would address the new people in a meeting and the repeat offenders personally and quit it with the mandatory meetings and emails.

Yikes, vent over. I would mention that I need to cut out early but I wouldn't feel bad.

I hope to be a hands on helpful Grandma someday but attend parent meetings is not something I'm going to offer to do!

• Like 1