Menu

Saxon, Jacobs, or MUS for Algebra?

pocjets

Which of these would you choose? I know many people prefer other textbooks, but I need something with support and that my child can work through independently. I'm not "afraid" of upper level math but have 7 other kids. I've ruled out TT. My oldest has used Saxon 5/4, 6/5, 7/6, and is now using 8/7. I didn't know if Saxon is the same in upper levels or if it changes. Thank you!!

• Like 1

I agree that Jacobs needs a human in the room (not necessarily always teaching, but available) whereas Saxon may or may not.

But I also think that Jacobs makes math sing whereas Saxon...well...doesn't.

If Jacob's is done with the DVDs do you still need someone helping?

If Jacob's is done with the DVDs do you still need someone helping?

I don't know since I haven't used them or seen them.  I suspect there would need to be less help.  But I think it is always a good idea to have someone available to help if necessary (with any math program, not just Jacobs).

• Like 1

I'd stick with Saxon.

Personally, I would not put a child into MUS Algebra if you think they will need more than the basic math credit at university.

I haven't gone through MUS Algebra yet, and I sure hope we are not making a mistake by doing so, but I have searched MANY hours days about this.  I had been under the impression that MUS wasn't enough.  Then this past couple months, as I searched, I came across a LOT of postitive reviews and SUCCESS stories.  I think the clincher for me was this one..

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/423083-bestmost-rigorous-upper-level-math/

Scroll down to what Pegasus says in #22.  Pegasus

Just pointing out another side.  

Pam

Edited by wehave8
  • Like 1

I own MUS Algebra 1&2. I stand by my opinion.

My STEM oriented kid is using Chalkdust Algebra 2 this year. My LD kid will be using MUS. I own both of these, and reviewed topically several other selections.

They teach to a very different depth.

Thank you for your review of first hand experience!

Pam

• Like 1

I haven't gone through MUS Algebra yet, and I sure hope we are not making a mistake by doing so, but I have searched MANY hours days about this. I had been under the impression that MUS wasn't enough. Then this past couple months, as I searched, I came across a LOT of postitive reviews and SUCCESS stories. I think the clincher for me was this one..

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/423083-bestmost-rigorous-upper-level-math/

Scroll down to what Pegasus says in #22. Pegasus

Just pointing out another side.

Pam

Thank you! That was an encouraging review for MUS.

Which of these would you choose? I know many people prefer other textbooks, but I need something with support and that my child can work through independently. I'm not "afraid" of upper level math but have 7 other kids. I've ruled out TT. My oldest has used Saxon 5/4, 6/5, 7/6, and is now using 8/7. I didn't know if Saxon is the same in upper levels or if it changes. Thank you!!

Saxon works.  If it works for you and for your son, stick with it.  It's not as conceptual early-on, but it really works to produce kids who are more than competent in math.  I've been saying this a few times on this board lately, but my son is bright in math, maybe ? gifted range...and he used only Saxon, all along.  He scored over 700 on his math SAT's as a freshman, after having only completed Saxon Algebra 2. (Hadn't even cracked ADV math yet)  He is now at 15 years old, in(a high ranking) community college taking pre-calc/trig with, so far a 4.0 average, and helping other kids with their homework, and teacher giving him High-Fives. 

If Saxon was working, stick with it! :)

Yes, my son complained a lot. Yes, he thought Saxon was awful.  Yes, I was soooooo worried because it wasn't as "amazing" as AOPS or Singapore. But it has proven itself.  

IN FACT I wish I had had him do ADV Math at home, and start with Calc at college!  It would have been a better education. But he loves his teacher and the experience, so I'm stuck now.  

If your dc has been using Saxon all along, I see no reason to switch. :-)

• Like 1